Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I have a 2009 CDX Cruze 1.8. I'm having a rattle at cold start up that last for a second or two, untill the dash lights go out and it has oil pressure.

After driving for the while the rattle comes back, but much much quieter... Most people wouldn't notice it. Ive since done a oil change as I noticed the oil seemed very thin, clean but thin,with some 10w 40 and it's quieter. The warm engine rattle is almost impossible to hear.

But it gets stranger. If I leave the key in the on position for a few seconds before actually cranking it over, it doesn't rattle at all. Dead silent on cold start.

Im at a dead loss to explain this one. The rattle seems to come from the side or the engine with the drive belts but it's hard to tell as the start up rattle doesn't last for long that all. Any help would be fantastic.

·
Registered
86 Posts
i had a rattle on startup on my 2012 1.8 and it ended up being the starter motor. dont know if this is the same but a thought.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,274 Posts
Ok, so I have a 2009 CDX Cruze 1.8. I'm having a rattle at cold start up that last for a second or two, untill the dash lights go out and it has oil pressure.

After driving for the while the rattle comes back, but much much quieter... Most people wouldn't notice it. Ive since done a oil change as I noticed the oil seemed very thin, clean but thin,with some 10w 40 and it's quieter. The warm engine rattle is almost impossible to hear.

But it gets stranger. If I leave the key in the on position for a few seconds before actually cranking it over, it doesn't rattle at all. Dead silent on cold start.

Im at a dead loss to explain this one. ( The rattle seems to come from the side or the engine with the drive belts ) but it's hard to tell as the start up rattle doesn't last for long that all. Any help would be fantastic.

The sentence that I outlined should be the give away .

Tensioner and or drive pullies ( Idler pully )

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Interesting. Seems odd though leaving the key on reds for a few Seconds would effect the tensioner though?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Righto, scrap the part about leaving the key on. It's decided to start to rattle now regardless.

It seems to be oil related, like when it has oil pressure it shuts up. And when it gets warm it rattles again but very quiet, my wife can't hear it but I know it's there. It sounds sorta plastic like...

This is really driving me mad!

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,274 Posts
Yep . there are 2 belts on this side . Timing and Serpentine .. could be any one of those drives along the paths of rotation . also if I recall correctly on my Isuzu the Tensioner for the Timing Belt had an Oil pressure inlet that allowed the tensioner to adjust with the different pressures or such .. not really up to date with the cruzens Timing belt and adjusters yet . well any who spray some wd 40 on all of those visible pullies to eliminate them from the possibilities list .

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,346 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts