Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Little Purple Title
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may take a second to describe so bear with me...

I bought the following item and installed it on my center brake light (I actually have it installed in the brake light housing itself):

Brake Light Strobe Module | Strobe Modules & Bulbs | Car Bulb Installation Supplies | LED Car Bulbs | Super Bright LEDs

When I tested it everything worked as expected - connect power, strobes for 2 seconds, then solid on. And, when I re-connect it to the car, it works as expected.

What's odd, is now I get noise from the BCM. I know from another thread that the BCM is what controls the center brake light.

When I step on the brakes I get a "THUNK". Almost sounds like a relay, but much more... thunky.

So when I press the brake, "THUNK". When I release the brake, "THUNK". There's only one thunk, it's doesn't strobe-thunk in time with the strobing of the light.

To add to the oddity, this only happens in park. There's no thunk when in gear, and the light still strobes all the same.

Any idea what could be causing this?

Am I damaging my BCM? Or something else?

Thanks.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Your instructions do state it TWICE - Used with LED brake & reverse lights only. Make sure you use an LED bulb and then Bob's your uncle...

·
Registered
144 Posts
Ok so as an EE here's my take on this diagram.

you can see the "switch" for the center light. If I were designing the circuit I would drive that light with a MOSFET transistor that's controlled by a logic IC. It's cheaper, faster at switching, lasts longer, and is more reliable than a relay. Clearly a relay is not used cause we would hear it every time the brake is pressed

So the click or thunk you hear is coming from something else. It is obviously related to this schematic but it's not part of the violet/white wire line.

beyond that.... It's just a guess of what it is.

As for hurting it??? These modules are pretty good at detecting destructive circuit behavior and lock out and set a code when they find something bad... So I would guess nothing is getting damaged but it also dosnt sound good.

·
Little Purple Title
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your instructions do state it TWICE - Used with LED brake & reverse lights only. Make sure you use an LED bulb and then Bob's your uncle...
The center taillight is LED stock...

·
Little Purple Title
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok so as an EE here's my take on this diagram.

you can see the "switch" for the center light. If I were designing the circuit I would drive that light with a MOSFET transistor that's controlled by a logic IC. It's cheaper, faster at switching, lasts longer, and is more reliable than a relay. Clearly a relay is not used cause we would hear it every time the brake is pressed

So the click or thunk you hear is coming from something else. It is obviously related to this schematic but it's not part of the violet/white wire line.

beyond that.... It's just a guess of what it is.

As for hurting it??? These modules are pretty good at detecting destructive circuit behavior and lock out and set a code when they find something bad... So I would guess nothing is getting damaged but it also dosnt sound good.
I'm not sure what's in the strobe controlled - I did open it but it's all covered in black silicone.

No codes, MILs, or warnings on the DIC.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Sounds like your hearing the safety switch since it only happens in park

·
Little Purple Title
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sounds like your hearing the safety switch since it only happens in park
Hmm, interesting thought.

Based on the schematic nothing else is controlled by this wire except the center brake light. Plus, I litterally have it wired directly to the center brake light (it's soldered to the board and housed inside the center brake light itself.

Again, I'm not sure what's in the actual strobe unit. I wonder if it's giving some sort of feedback through the hot line and in turn affecting other things.

I can tell you at least that it's not affecting the side brake lights, those come on steady right away.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Ok I found a problem

based on our chat last night, you wired this up exactly how figure 3 says not to. You need to cut the violet/white wire and run in series with it

·
Little Purple Title
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok I found a problem

based on our chat last night, you wired this up exactly how figure 3 says not to. You need to cut the violet/white wire and run in series with it
It's wired correctly.

Inside the center brake light housing it switches to a white and black wire. White hot and black ground.

I desoldered the white wire from the circuit board of the brake light and attached the blue wire from the strobe unit there. I then spliced the white and brown wire together.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Can you have someone push the brakes while you check the control unit of the flasher and the neutral safety switch for the sound

·
Little Purple Title
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Can you have someone push the brakes while you check the control unit of the flasher and the neutral safety switch for the sound
It's definitely coming from the console, not the strobe unit.

Where is the neutral safety switch? If it's near the BCM might be hard to distinguish the source.

·
Little Purple Title
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well...

My buddy came over and I gave him the whole run down about what's going on. We went outside to take a look, I hop in the drivers seat and say "okay listen," hit the brakes, and... Nothing.

No more thunk and everything works including the strobing.

Maybe the car just needed a few cycles?

Frickin weird. Frickin computers.

So, I think I'm all good?

lol thanks guys.

·
Little Purple Title
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Dang how late do you guys stay up up there in Minnesota eh?
lol I've already put in over 36 hours this week so I'm only working a half day today, going into the office around noonish.

·
Registered
990 Posts
It's in the center console

·
Little Purple Title
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, I thought it was fixed, but it's thunking again.

Fortunately, I found the source!

It's the electronic park assist.

I assume there's a solenoid that pushes out in the center console that locks the shifter, assumingly near the little hole to manually release it.

I removed the brake light for tested and it still thunked even with the brake light removed.

I know the change in the brake light couldn't have made the park assist start making noise, so I started scratching my head.

Then I realized that - while trying to find a place to wire the strobe unit - I had the side panel off the center console looking at the BCM. When I put that panel back on it took a few love taps to get it to seat right again.

SO...

I'm guessing my love taps wiggled the park assist solenoid.

Assuming that's the case, is there anything to worry about?

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Pull the panel off and reseat the parking assist selenoid. It's probably just loose but it will drive you nuts if you don't fix it. Thunks and rattles are ...

·
Registered
990 Posts
Mine makes the same sound when in park

1 - 20 of 20 Posts