Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Strut bars?

23785 Views 38 Replies 25 Participants Last post by  txcruze26
Does anyone have one? I would like to give it a try. Here's a website I found.

http://throwdownperformance.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=4754

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

· Resident Derp
2,800 Posts
I have the front bar, and it is a noticeable difference. Main thing it will do however is harshen your ride since it clamps down on top of the strut itself instead of the tower, lessening the amount of "play" it has when going over bumps.

It helps a decent amount, and I would recommend it, but if you want to really tighten up your handling get the rear tower bar.

· Premium Member
2,211 Posts
I have the Ultra Racing 2pt front strut bar as well as the rear Ultra Racing rear upper 2pt strut bar in my trunk and absolutely love both of them. My car feels like its glued to the pavement. It definitely makes the car more rigid. I have no regrets buying either one of them.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

· Premium Member
2,811 Posts
Ok - I have four bars right now and getting a fifth soon. I have the upper front and upper rear tower bars and I have the lower 4pt front and the rear 2pt. I have to say my ECO handles very nice for a FWD car. Makes the car much more neutral than stock. Just this afternoon I was taking an on ramp that had the 20 mph signs with the picture of the truck tipping over. I was doing 40 mph and this Ford Explorer comes flying up behind me. I took my Cruze up to 60 on the remainder of the ramp and left him far behind. I was surprised that my rear tires were squealing while the fronts had good grip (all tires at 41 psi cold). My wife was not too pleased. I am very impressed.

Reactions: Smurfenstein

· Registered
65 Posts
Where are you buying these struts from? I've read Ultra Racing. I found that website but they offered them for a 1.6 cruze. The rear upper bar goes across the top of the trunk. What are the rear lowers? I'm new to the strut bar mods so trying to get informed.

· Premium Member
6,727 Posts
I was amazed at how simple the rear strut tower bar is when I saw it on Smurf's car. I bought some tubular steel to make my own. It's stupid how easy the rear one is to make.
That's awesome, but it also make a person wonder why is there only one company currently making these parts? If I'm not mistaken they are shipped from overseas so the cost is a bit higher than if a domestic company was making front & rear strut tower bars.

· Administrator
14,726 Posts
That's awesome, but it also make a person wonder why is there only one company currently making these parts? If I'm not mistaken they are shipped from overseas so the cost is a bit higher than if a domestic company was making front & rear strut tower bars.
There's a very good chance one of our own guys will start making these to sell people. All you need is tubular steel, a drill press, and a couple of nuts, bolts, and washers. The member I've been talking to about this has a powder coating contact that can probably make these for fairly cheap. We'd be looking at under $100 for a powder coated tubular steel bar with holes to run bolts for already existing mounting points. With a group buy, I can see this ending up closer to $70-80 per bar. The member I talked to said that his current bar made a huge difference in handling.

· Premium Member
4,468 Posts
There's a very good chance one of our own guys will start making these to sell people. All you need is tubular steel, a drill press, and a couple of nuts, bolts, and washers. The member I've been talking to about this has a powder coating contact that can probably make these for fairly cheap. We'd be looking at under $100 for a powder coated tubular steel bar with holes to run bolts for already existing mounting points. With a group buy, I can see this ending up closer to $70-80 per bar. The member I talked to said that his current bar made a huge difference in handling.

Yea but what about the other chassis reinforcement bars I would assume those would be a little harder to manufacture.

Sent from my Droid

· Premium Member
311 Posts
^^id totally be interested if that happens, much rather give my money to this said guy over some over seas company.. what about the front tower bar could he do those aswell

· Premium Member
4,468 Posts
^^id totally be interested if that happens, much rather give my money to this said guy over some over seas company.. what about the front tower bar could he do those aswell
The uppers will be easily done I'm not sure about the rest.
I plan on having most every chassis bar possible on my Car.

Sent from my Droid

· Administrator
14,726 Posts
Front bar is a bit more tricky due to the way it's mounted and there not being a simple mounting point. I'll have to look at the engine bay a bit closer.

I have noticed though that the car's chassis twists a LOT in corners, and the rear bar will alleviate a lot of that. For most people, it will fix many of their issues. The front bar stiffens the front of the car, but it may adversely affect ride quality as the chassis is designed to flex a bit when going over bumps and uneven pavement. This removes that flex.

The uppers will be easily done I'm not sure about the rest.
I plan on having most every chassis bar possible on my Car.

Sent from my Droid
The lowers I'm not sure of. It's doable if you have a welder, but of course that's more work.

Yea but what about the other chassis reinforcement bars I would assume those would be a little harder to manufacture.

Sent from my Droid
The front will be your biggest challenge. The rest is just a matter of testing and fitting and welding. You can make your own rear for under $30, hardware and paint included. I'll spray mine with high heat flat black and just bolt it in. It won't look like a fancy UR bar, but for 1/5 the price and more rigidity, I don't really care, especially since you have to duck down to see it.

Based on my experience with the rear strut tower bar on my previous cars, I'd say every Cruze should have one. You will notice an immediate difference in steering response and emergency maneuvering stability.

· Premium Member
2,811 Posts
Based on my experience with the rear strut tower bar on my previous cars, I'd say every Cruze should have one. You will notice an immediate difference in steering response and emergency maneuvering stability.
Agreed - the rear tower bar was the last bar I installed and definitely made a difference in steering response and car balance.

Reactions: spacedout

· Registered
65 Posts

I'd Like to be in that group buy if it comes around..Not sure if there is a way to be notified of the existence of one if it comes up.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.