Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

We got stuck in Death Valley.. with a transmission problem. Drove for about 5h on freeway and parked the car, after getting back in I heard a wyining sound coming from it. Started to drive the car shifts into second and then drops out of it causing the entire car to quickly slowdown.

We drove the car 20 miles to the closest hotel on Manual mode using 1st gear.

The car only has 30k miles on it, what could it be? Possible low tranmission fluid or something mechanical? Nothing came on, no engine light or any indication that something was wrong.

I do have a set of tools with me so maybe I can do something?

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
GM will pay to tow it to the nearest Chevy dealership. It's part of the warranty. Your car is still under full B2B warranty.

·
Super Moderator
7,804 Posts
Unfortunately it has a salvage title :(
Then it's anyone's guess.

I'd start with fluid level then look for electrical problem like loose ground cables, check fuses and harness connectors.

Good luck. Hopefully you're not too far from home.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
Yeah, look for obvious stuff. Otherwise, I'd say there's a good chance it's something internal to the transmission.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
Start by disconnecting the negative cable......then turn on the headlight switch.
Leave it like this for several minutes.

Turn the light switch off, and reconnect the battery.

You have performed the automotive equivalent of a 'reboot'

Start it up and see what happens......you may find it normalizes.

If not, well, there is no simple trans service beyond checking the level (and even that isn't simple).......but if the bottom of the car shows no leakage I wouldn't bother.......time to get a tow.

Rob

·
Premium Member
5,638 Posts
I live in the valley next to Death Valley and it is deadly. You will not find a Chevy Dealer, just Death. There is the World's Tallest Thermometer in Baker CA, but I think it has broken

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
Start by disconnecting the negative cable......then turn on the headlight switch.
Leave it like this for several minutes.
I like the idea, but given that in the Cruze the headlights are controlled by computer - that may not be as effective as desired. I'd have to check the book to see what is still powered "the old fashioned way" (I think the sun visor vanity lights are), but I've seen other suggestions to short the battery cables together (I'm assuming you've taken at least one lead off the battery!).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Im having a friend come out and pick up the car. I will check the battery option but I have a feeling it might be internal problems

·
Premium Member
5,638 Posts
Im having a friend come out and pick up the car. I will check the battery option but I have a feeling it might be internal problems
Where exactly in Death Valley are you? You will find about 4 or 5 Chevy Dealers in the Las Vegas area and a couple in Victorville, CA. I recently obtained a 100 mile towing policy through AAA in addition to my 7 year towing coverage provided under the various Chevy policies for this exact reason. Breaking down in the middle of nowhere, especially without water in the Desert can be very dangerous. I remember breaking down near there and it took 3 hours for a cop to stop. When he did he arrested the known Good Samaritan who stopped to help us as its against the law to offer assistance, go figure:iroc-cop:

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Where exactly in Death Valley are you? You will find about 4 or 5 Chevy Dealers in the Las Vegas area and a couple in Victorville, CA. I recently obtained a 100 mile towing policy through AAA in addition to my 7 year towing coverage provided under the various Chevy policies for this exact reason. Breaking down in the middle of nowhere, especially without water in the Desert can be very dangerous. I remember breaking down near there and it took 3 hours for a cop to stop. When he did he arrested the known Good Samaritan who stopped to help us as its against the law to offer assistance, go figure:iroc-cop:
At the risk of getting political this is a direct result of the mindset controlling California's government about making everyone dependent on the government. I think that cop would have had a lot more problems after arresting me for assisting someone on the road. Problems like a Federal Lawsuit against him for violating my 1st Amendment right to freedom of association would be the start.

To OP: get your car back to where you can work on it safely. Hopefully all you're dealing with is low ATF fluid.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
I remember breaking down near there and it took 3 hours for a cop to stop. When he did he arrested the known Good Samaritan who stopped to help us as its against the law to offer assistance, go figure:iroc-cop:
I tried to Google this and came up empty. I think something else is at play.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
What did the car go through to make it a salvage title?

Reactions: Tomko

·
Premium Member
5,638 Posts
What exactly were you searching for, its not like this was a news event in Barstow, gateway to Death Valley. Who knows, the man could have been a murderer although he wasn't, its illegal to conduct Business on our nations Interstates & roadways unless you are licensed to do so. Obviously the cops knew this person from prior contact. At no point did we discuss money (of course we would have taken care of him) and I thought it sucked they took him and his friendly dog away leaving his Truck probably to be towed.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
What exactly were you searching for, its not like this was a news event in Barstow, gateway to Death Valley.
"its against the law to offer assistance"

I think something else/more was going on. And it sounds like this individual had been warned, so it didn't come as a surprise to him.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.