Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I need a little diagnoses help here. I was driving along this beautiful afternoon, about 40 mph and pressed the accelerator a bit and the car started to move, the turbo seemed to be spooling up a little, and then there was a stumble (like bad gas). The engine picked back up, stumbled again, then the cloud of blue smoke came. As i drove around, more of the same. Nothing obvious to the eye. Temp was ok, no lights or warnings. Nothing.

I made it to the Chevy dealer in Rochester and parked it. I thought I'd see if anyone has any thoughts so I'm not blind when the dealer calls tomorrow.

As usual, thanks in advance for your help!

Kevin

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Its hard to say without seeing what is going on.But it seems similar to broken pistons.But it could also be something causing it to go rich? It also may have a code in it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I left my code reader in my desk at work (of course). It's definitely concerning. They thing has been a great car. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
742 Posts
could be bad spark, but if its under warranty let them investigate and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Correct it very well may be the coil unit.It would be a secondary ign stumble.And dumping raw fuel for the smoke.I think we had a bad one a few months back on a 1.4 to.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That sounds like a pretty reasonable explanation. I'll keep my fingers crossed and let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
742 Posts
When stating Spark, I should have clarified, Spark plug / wire / coil. Basicly any of those items would contribute to what GM Master Tech stated, but a dealer should be able to test each one and narrow it down, but the Coil would be the first guess.

Since you are new to the forum dont forget to introduce your self and post a picture of you Cruze along with year, trim and transmission style.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Alright, I need a little diagnoses help here. I was driving along this beautiful afternoon, about 40 mph and pressed the accelerator a bit and the car started to move, the turbo seemed to be spooling up a little, and then there was a stumble (like bad gas). The engine picked back up, stumbled again, then the cloud of blue smoke came. As i drove around, more of the same. Nothing obvious to the eye. Temp was ok, no lights or warnings. Nothing.

I made it to the Chevy dealer in Rochester and parked it. I thought I'd see if anyone has any thoughts so I'm not blind when the dealer calls tomorrow.

As usual, thanks in advance for your help!

Kevin
How many Miles?

Also how much blue smoke?

Did it only smoke when you hit the gas?

·
Premium Member
4,142 Posts
I always thought that blue smoke was from oil and petrol made black smoke. I had something like this happen in a Nissan Bluebird when the sump was overfilled during a routine service. Every time I went around a corner it would detonate and blow blue smoke. Removing some oil fixed it. When checking oil levels it is wise to pull the dipstick up until the seal is clear and then reinsert it, otherwise it can show a level lower than it really is and cause an overfill.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's got 69,150 miles on it. It was a big cloud of blue smoke. Stunk like oil in the car too, and yep, only under power would it puff (not constant). Wasn't an overfill situation. I got a message from the dealer that it looks like a turbo problem. Playing phone tag right now, but that's the diagnosis of the moment. More to come I'm sure.

·
Registered
354 Posts
It's got 69,150 miles on it. It was a big cloud of blue smoke. Stunk like oil in the car too, and yep, only under power would it puff (not constant). Wasn't an overfill situation. I got a message from the dealer that it looks like a turbo problem. Playing phone tag right now, but that's the diagnosis of the moment. More to come I'm sure.
I had the exact same thing happened when my turbo blew.

A note here (I will be confirming this theory tonight hopefully)
But with the blown turbo, that big cloud of smoke isn't from the intake track. (Oil leak into the intake track should be slow enough that there is just a little bits of blue smoke under wot)

But i found when my turbo blew, it pushed pressure through the turbine side of the turbo, pressurizing the crank case. There are baffles in the valve cover to catch oil before it flows into the pcv tube, and there is an oil return on the valve cover as well.

The baffles on the oil return snapped under the increased crank pressure and oil got push up into the valve cover and all the way into the intake manifold. Thats what caused the big clouds of smoke for me anyways...

Watch your oil consumption for the next while.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So, as is typical for my luck, here's the most recent repair news for those that are interested.

Turbo replaced, 2 miles into the test drive the same symptoms occured with the tech driving. Now a new set of procedures kicks in - checking the version of head, could be a cracked ring, blah, blah, blah. I will say the dealer is being pretty up front about what's going on.

For now I guess I'll continue to enjoy driving my Volt loaner car.

More to come I'm sure.

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
Hi kpregan34

I am sorry to read about your experience. Have you opened a service request with a Customer Care Agent yet? If not I would like to assist you and document these issues to help you come to a resolution. Please send me a direct message if you would like my assistance.

Jackie
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi Jackie,

I did contact Customer Care when I first had the problem. You helped me out with my leaky waterpump and body control module software re-flash. I sent another note today about the additional work required. Thanks for asking.

Kevin

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Minor update from last night. The engine is coming apart. Expect to hear today what they found -

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Alright, repairs not complete yet, but the engine came down and there was a cracked area between oil rings on one piston. New pistons, bearings, rings, 2nd generation head. May get it back Monday. Hopefully, it will be like new and I'll get 100K miles out if it without issue.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Alright, repairs not complete yet, but the engine came down and there was a cracked area between oil rings on one piston. New pistons, bearings, rings, 2nd generation head. May get it back Monday. Hopefully, it will be like new and I'll get 100K miles out if it without issue.
I'm glad they found it.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Thats what i thought in my first post broken piston

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yep, and you were right. Seems like it's not a huge issue with these engines, but it happens enough that it's on the radar.

I'll report the final result -

1 - 20 of 21 Posts