Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Stumped.....

1085 Views 4 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  brianwhite81
I have a 2013 Chevrolet Cruze. Here is what is going on, I have called multiple dealerships....no-one at the dealerships has ever heard of this or even cared to follow back up with me. I can remote start my Cruze all day long, but the key will not start the car at all. The theft system is not interfering, but here is some other interesting information. I can remove the negative battery cable and reinstall after 15 mins or so, and relearn the factory key I have and it will start. If I leave the key in the run position or walk away from the car within a couple minutes the car will restart. If I wait longer than a couple minutes the car will not restart. I will then either have to pull the negative cable and re-attach or leave the key in the on position until I hear a click under the dash and the key will re-learn itself and the car will start with the key. Anytime during this entire process, I can use the remote start feature, so I know that eliminates the starter. I replaced my battery a few months back and these issues sprung up after this. I have also basically lost turn signal function left or right and the car wants to cut in an out now under a load (like a hill or slight acceleration). I have just ordered a negative battery cable to see and pray this is the issue but with my luck it is not. Has anyone heard of this or seen this? Is there something I'm missing or overlooking? I feel like it has to be battery related somehow, but I get no codes, no check lights, nothing like that. I occasionally get a emission code but it hasn't been back for a month now. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2015 Cruze 1.4L engine 6 speed AT
1,250 Posts
Definitely very odd symptoms. By all means replace the negative power cable ASAP, defective cables have caused issues in many cars.

I would also, clean all the wiring connectors going to the ECM. This also causes a lot of issues.

Check all the connections to the battery, and also look inside the battery fuse box for issues.

· Administrator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red, 1.4T Auto
14,177 Posts
I have a 2013 Chevrolet Cruze. Here is what is going on, I have called multiple dealerships....no-one at the dealerships has ever heard of this or even cared to follow back up with me. I can remote start my Cruze all day long, but the key will not start the car at all. The theft system is not interfering, but here is some other interesting information. I can remove the negative battery cable and reinstall after 15 mins or so, and relearn the factory key I have and it will start. If I leave the key in the run position or walk away from the car within a couple minutes the car will restart. If I wait longer than a couple minutes the car will not restart. I will then either have to pull the negative cable and re-attach or leave the key in the on position until I hear a click under the dash and the key will re-learn itself and the car will start with the key. Anytime during this entire process, I can use the remote start feature, so I know that eliminates the starter. I replaced my battery a few months back and these issues sprung up after this. I have also basically lost turn signal function left or right and the car wants to cut in an out now under a load (like a hill or slight acceleration). I have just ordered a negative battery cable to see and pray this is the issue but with my luck it is not. Has anyone heard of this or seen this? Is there something I'm missing or overlooking? I feel like it has to be battery related somehow, but I get no codes, no check lights, nothing like that. I occasionally get a emission code but it hasn't been back for a month now. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
When you say you lost turn signal function, you are not referring to the sound only are you? Do the lights work at all?

As Johnny B alluded to, pull the ECM connectors and look for corrosion. If none is there, consider splitting the under hood fuse box apart and looking there as it is another location that has been know to cause electrical issues.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When you say you lost turn signal function, you are not referring to the sound only are you? Do the lights work at all?

As Johnny B alluded to, pull the ECM connectors and look for corrosion. If none is there, consider splitting the under hood fuse box apart and looking there as it is another location that has been know to cause electrical issues.
Thanks, I'll look into this ASAP. I haven't had a chance to work on the car, but I plan on it this weekend. I will update with what I have found.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Definitely very odd symptoms. By all means replace the negative power cable ASAP, defective cables have caused issues in many cars.

I would also, clean all the wiring connectors going to the ECM. This also causes a lot of issues.

Check all the connections to the battery, and also look inside the battery fuse box for issues.
Thank you, I'll look into is and repost with what I found.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.