Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why would a design engieer put gas tank on right side of car? When I fill up, I have to go around the car to get to the tank. Why would a design engineer put the door locks way over by the radio? If I have to lock the car without the keys, I have to bend over and reach past the steering wheel. Also, the other day I had turned off the cruise control with the brake but when I reached up to turn on the blinker my hand brushed the resume button and off I went and almost hit the ditch. It's bad when a retired mailman has more sense than a design engineer. Otherwise, I am happy with my Cruze.

·
Premium Member
2,134 Posts
Lol, I bet if the batteries die in the remote is your TV is stuck on 1 station. Stuff like that just doesn't bother me

·
Registered
133 Posts
Why would a design engieer put gas tank on right side of car? When I fill up, I have to go around the car to get to the tank.
ALOT of compact cars have the gas tank on the right side of the vehicle, my Mazda 3 did, rental Ford Focus i had did and I think the Coablts did too. Beisdes you could always pull up to the the pump from a different direction, also not all gas pumps allow you to pull up with the driver's side of the car near the pump, so gas stations are one way.

Why would a design engineer put the door locks way over by the radio? If I have to lock the car without the keys, I have to bend over and reach past the steering wheel.
I intially found this kind of odd myself but just got use to it. No extra effort in pushing the lock/unlock button then if they were on the doors. I can reach to button with barely extending my arm, certainly don't need to bend over. It is no farther away then if you were changing the radio station.

Also, the other day I had turned off the cruise control with the brake but when I reached up to turn on the blinker my hand brushed the resume button and off I went and almost hit the ditch.
Unless you hold your steering wheel from the center I can't really see how you brush the resume on the cruise control. The turn signals are out to the left and behind the steering wheel. I could see accidentally bumping the switch for them, I have a couple of times but that is just from where I hold the wheel. With that arguement then you would brush audio controls while trying to use the windshield wipers, they are basically mirror designs of eachother.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All I asked was why. I did not ask for any unrelated opinions about remote controls or other cars. Why would you put a gas tank on the passenger side? Why put door locks on the console? I am talking about locking the doors from outside without the keys. The cruise is a safety issue; who cares if you change stations while reaching for the wipers. Also, please proof read before posting message.

·
Registered
8 Posts
There are a lot of opinions on forums. It seems you are angered by people who want to contribute and provide input. Perhaps you can call GM and ask them why the Cruze is built the way it is. With your attitude, I don't think you will be getting very far. Have a good day.

·
Premium Member
2,475 Posts
There are a lot of opinions on forums. It seems you are angered by people who want to contribute and provide input. Perhaps you can call GM and ask them why the Cruze is built the way it is. With your attitude, I don't think you will be getting very far. Have a good day.
:goodjob:

·
Registered
247 Posts
+ 1

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
I was in the gas station yesterday filling the Protege (filler on the driver's side) and noticed that the station was really full (probably due to the low price compared to the rest of the area). There are 10 pumps in this one and all were full with folks waiting. I noticed that it was about a 50-50 mix of left and right side fillers with cars pointed every which way. The station is laid out so you can pull around cars in the process of filling so you can get your filler next to the pumps. IIRC the fuel filler is a "hard point" design location and thus the filler is pre determined with a lot of other things on a car. I pay cash for gas, as around here it is way cheaper than using a credit/debit card, so I have to walk into the station to get the pump turned on anyway. The exercise is good for this retilred guy. Also, the Cruze was designed as a "world" car, so you have to expect some different things.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Regarding the door lock....
You can simply lock all the doors of the car by pushing down the lock on the driver door. Don't need the fob, don't need to lean back in the car. Just hit it right before you close the door.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Why would a design engieer put gas tank on right side of car? When I fill up, I have to go around the car to get to the tank.
So you can pull up to the pump without having to leave enough space to open your door.
Why would a design engineer put the door locks way over by the radio? If I have to lock the car without the keys, I have to bend over and reach past the steering wheel.
Cheaper to have one switch centrally located in the console vs two separate switches (driver/passenger door)
It's bad when a retired mailman has more sense than a design engineer.
You may or may not have more sense than a design engineer, but you certainly do not have the same constraints (financial, technical, supplier, etc).

·
Registered
166 Posts
I actually like the tank on the right side of cars. Means I don't have to worry about swinging my door open to anything like the pumps or anything else they got stacked up.

·
Registered
162 Posts
The filler neck is on passenger side for a reason. One portion could possibly be due to the exhaust being routed on driver side. It is a fairly common thing to find fuel door on Euro cars on the right. This is something that you don't understand because it is your opinion. There is no right or wrong side to put a fuel door.

The door lock thing is another annoyance to you that is, again, an opinion. I feel it is perfectly fine because there was no room on door handle. Where it is located just works to keep symmetrical and clean.

The cruise control, uhhh, obviously not a design flaw. I don't get how reaching for turn signal bumped resume unless you're trying to reach through the steering wheel.

What you have are not design issues. You have your opinion, and obviously very strict about it, so why in the world would you have bought a car made by "stupid design engineers"? Whatever you do, do not ever own, let alone drive, a BMW then.

·
Registered
2012 Chevy Cruze 1.8 (soon to be 1.8t) LS... white
775 Posts
Why would a design engieer put gas tank on right side of car? When I fill up, I have to go around the car to get to the tank. Why would a design engineer put the door locks way over by the radio? If I have to lock the car without the keys, I have to bend over and reach past the steering wheel. Also, the other day I had turned off the cruise control with the brake but when I reached up to turn on the blinker my hand brushed the resume button and off I went and almost hit the ditch. It's bad when a retired mailman has more sense than a design engineer. Otherwise, I am happy with my Cruze.
Perhaps the gas tank is on the passenger side to help distribute weight.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I actually like the tank on the right side of cars. Means I don't have to worry about swinging my door open to anything like the pumps or anything else they got stacked up.
The pump I use the most at my favorite station is easiest to get to with tank fill on the pass side. So if it works for me then it's the best design. haha

·
Registered
144 Posts
fuel filler on the right side has been around for a very long time i had a cavalier z24 back in 1988 fuel filler door on the right side good god where has this guy been ???

·
Registered
133 Posts
All I asked was why. I did not ask for any unrelated opinions about remote controls or other cars. Why would you put a gas tank on the passenger side? Why put door locks on the console? I am talking about locking the doors from outside without the keys. The cruise is a safety issue; who cares if you change stations while reaching for the wipers. Also, please proof read before posting message.
You obviously do not want to hear any one else opinion on the design since you have convinced yourself anyone who disasgrees with you is wrong. You are not looking for someone to provide insight as to why things were done the way they were for this car you just want someone to blindly agree with your complaints. After reading the various comments you seem to be alone with these complaints. Comparing the design of the Cruze to other cars in the same class as it is absolutely relevant to your complaints, it shows the trend in style for the class of car. If you need to lock your doors without the key then hit the lock switch before exiting the vehicle or just push down the door lock, it will lock all four doors. If you have a smartphone you could use the Chevy or OnStar app and lock them that way too. I am kind of wondering in what situation would you need to lock your door but would not have the key with you? Because you certainly were not driving the car and then parking it, the key is required for that.

·
Registered
559 Posts
The bottom line on the door locks is that the Cruze is a Global vehicle, and it was launched in Asia and Europe first. Those markets prefer the lock controls to be on the center console, for whatever reason. In some cars, GM has gone through the exercise to change the harness and trim to move the controls only to find that it was not very high value. I like it just fine as is. Keeps the door trim less cluttered with switch gear.
I am cool with you not agreeing with the decision on where to put those switches, but the DEs are not stupid. The design teams have an incredible amount of variables and tolerances that they need to consider when creating vehicles. Not the least of which is consumer preferences in all the global regions.
You will not be cursing the DEs if you ever are unfortunate enough to total your Cruze. When you get out and walk away should consider buying there mothers' something nice.

·
Registered
395 Posts
There are reasons why the gas tank is on the passenger side and the centrally located lock button. But honestly from your response I don't think you will care even if someone gives you a legitimate answer. As far as hitting the Resume on the cruise control, I can't even figure out how you activated something on the front of the steering wheel when you were reaching for something located behind the wheel. That is not an engineering problem. If you have the money then you can have a car designed for your every whim, until then you will have to suffer like the rest of us and drive cars that are designed for the masses.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Also, please proof read before posting message.
Best line of the whole thread.

Should be --> "Also, please proofread before posting (needs either a possessive adjective, like 'your', or an article, like 'a' or 'the') message."

*sigh* Look what you did. You brought out the Grammar Nazi in me. :(

Oh well. With all of the people who come on this forum to rant about how stupid and crappy their Cruzes are, it really makes me wonder if consumers still research (or even pay a bit of attention to) what they're going to be purchasing.

Your cruise control complaint isn't an issue I'd have expected you to notice before now... but the locations of the door locks and the gas cap are pretty obvious. Why did you still get a Cruze if these are such horrific "design flaws" to you?

1 - 20 of 59 Posts