Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've installed subwoofers into my 2014 Cruze running them off of a line Converter but they don't pound nearly as hard and what they did in my previous truck and and my buddy's Cadillac which was ran off a line converter as well but when it was in both vehicles it seemed to pound incredibly but now they pound just like the door speakers and I can't seem to find out why? Please help?

·
2,170 Posts
I've installed subwoofers into my 2014 Cruze running them off of a line Converter but they don't pound nearly as hard and what they did in my previous truck and and my buddy's Cadillac which was ran off a line converter as well but when it was in both vehicles it seemed to pound incredibly but now they pound just like the door speakers and I can't seem to find out why? Please help?

Hello! Welcome to the forum!

Can you tell me a little more about how it's set up, how many subs do you have? What impedance are you running? What type of amp are you using? What kind of line converter?

I gather you've tapped into the factory radio harness as I have, to get your line level input. Then you ran the line level through a converter, which sends RCAs to your amp, which is powered from the car battery. Is this correct?

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
I was informed that the rear door speakers don't get as much signal as the front door speakers (assuming you tapped the rear door speaker signals) so maybe that's why they're not as loud? Just a guess.

I have a line out converter and have tapped my rear door speakers for subs and haven't noticed a decrease in volume from the car I had before this one, so I'm not sure what the problem could be.

·
2,170 Posts
Correct and I'm running two 12 inch Rockford Fosgates, off of a 450 watt alpine amp, and a raptor line converter
Have you verified that the amp is receiving the full 12-15V? And checked all the obvious settings on the amp? Low pass filter, gain, etc? I can't imagine why it would be different in the Cruze over a different vehicle with the same set-up, especially if you're using a line level-RCA converter. I wasn't able to compare mine with my last vehicle because I broke my amp out of frustration trying to take it back out of the Cobalt. So I bought a new one. One thing I will note, my Cobalt's stock sound system was much louder than my Cruze's.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have no volume decrease, just the subs aren't pounding like they should there only sounding like the door speakers

·
2,170 Posts
I have no volume decrease, just the subs aren't pounding like they should there only sounding like the door speakers
Do your subs have dual voice coils? The only thing I can come up with is your impedance is higher now. If you've accidentally wired the sub coils in series then you would not be getting as much power through them as you should. You can check your impedance with a multi meter to be sure you're running 2 ohms or 4 ohms, whatever the lowest your amp can handle is.

·
2,170 Posts

·
2,170 Posts
If your amp is 2 channel it should be wired like this:

If it is only a monoblock (single channel) you can only wire two DVCs for either 1 ohm or 4 ohms most amps, don't accept a 1 ohm impedance so you'll have to run 4.

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
I would make sure the gain on the line out converter hasn't been turned down....if there is one. I know mine has one and I guess that could happen by accident.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Haven't yet check the converter so that could be the flaw, but I'm swapping my box out for a newer ported one to see if it stops it from rattling, I know the subs aren't blown because they obviously wouldn't bump

·
2,170 Posts
I would make sure the gain on the line out converter hasn't been turned down....if there is one. I know mine has one and I guess that could happen by accident.
There probably isn't any settings on the converter, check the amp though.

·
2,170 Posts
Haven't yet check the converter so that could be the flaw, but I'm swapping my box out for a newer ported one to see if it stops it from rattling, I know the subs aren't blown because they obviously wouldn't bump
That isn't true, blown subs just sound really bad. The coils will still move, but they aren't connected to the cones so it'll sound really rattly. Since you have two DVCs theres no way to run a 2 ohm load, you can run either 1 ohm or 4 ohms. Most amps won't accept 1 ohm, so you'll have to wire them to get 4 ohms. Which will give you the same results as wiring one DVC for a 2 ohm load. I'd consider testing one sub at a time, in this configuration (given your amp is rated for 2 ohms) *Note: Also assuming your subs are 4 ohm subs.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,274 Posts
Turn the bass up some at the HU .....

·
Registered
40 Posts
Turn the bass up some at the HU .....
Im actually in the same boat as the OP. You can't turn the bass up much at all on the head unit or else it distorts the door speakers like crazy.

JL XD600x1 V2 amp and JL-10" in ported box.

·
2,170 Posts
You're not going to gain anything by turning the head unit bass up. The line level converter takes the radio's amplified output and converts it into an RCA un-amplified signal. The amplifier then takes that, filters out all the higher frequencies and amplifies the low frequencies before sending them to the sub. I'd still recommend checking your impedance with a multi-meter to make sure your DVCs are wired correctly.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts