Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive been having this random oil burning smell and the dealer cannot find a leak and now I've suddenly dropped fuel mileage from an average of 41 to 26 over the last 3 tanks. No power loss no lamps illuminated. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Winter fuel and colder temps will result in a 5-10% drop in fuel economy so that may account for part of it. The burning smell combined with a drop in fuel economy indicates a regen is in process. The thing is, there's no way a regen should last that long. Do your cooling fans come on after you shut the car off?

Thinking about this a little more, I am wondering if your car is somehow "stuck" in regen mode. I've never heard of that happening though. your dealership should be able to hook up the computer to the car to check the regen status, manifold absolute pressure, grams of soot etc and monitor what's going on.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
I'm thinking fuel leak from the high pressure fuel system.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's going in Monday for a check so I'll keep y'all updated. No I've only had it regen with fans 2 times since I got it with 50 miles

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Yes, please keep us posted. This is a new one.

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
Dealer is still checking it but dpf and ash levels and regens are all spot on so they are not sure what's going on
Hey Silvertank,

Let me know if you need an extra later of assistance. I apologize that you seem to be experiencing some concerns with your gas mileage. If you have questions or additional concerns, feel free to send me a private message.

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey Patsy it seems it was all taken care of thank you though. To everyone else dealer could not find anything out of spec and suspected it was either due to a relearn from being unhooked from the battery for a month or a bad tank of fuel. Just finish up a tank and averaged 38

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Oil burning smell must have been an interrupted regen. I have had some tanks of fuel differ from others in MPG. Also, keep in mind, these cars aren't the best for MPG in stop and go driving. In a week of winter stop and go driving, I have seen as low as 9.9 MPG for 25 miles.

Reactions: KpaxFAQ
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.