Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Summit White paint defect.

4656 Views 14 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  Blue Angel
Hi all.
I'm wondering if anyone else here with summit white has noticed small rust coloured spots within their paint?

They appear to be above the paint, but below the clearcoat. I've scrubbed and scrubbed and they are below the surface..
There are no signs or indications of chipping or anything like that.

Anyone else experience this?
Anyone know a possible solution?

The cat is brand new with only 4500 miles on it and hasnt even had its first service yet.

I do plan on bringing it up to the dealership when I fo in for my first scheduled maintenance, but in the mea time, any ideas??

:confused::thumbdown:

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
26 Posts
Most likely its rail dust, tiny iron particles produced between train wheels and tracks. It gets on the car surface and embeds in the paint surface. Very noticeable on white.
Wash the area with soapy water, dry and try to clay bar the area. You can also try to wax the spots out (don’t rub too hard) you can also try scratch remover, also try gently using your finger nail on the spot(s).

· Registered
47 Posts
Those who have experienced this, can you post pictures? I want to see what to look out for since I have a summit white Cruze.

· Registered
378 Posts
Thanks! I've only had my car for a month, but I'll keep a look out for this. Anyway to even prevent this from happening?
i think if your car doesnt have it, you wont get it. it comes from when they ship the cars around in the trains. Unless you decide to load your cruze onto a train again, you wont have to worry.

· Registered
83 Posts
It's "rail dust" or as they say now, "environmental Contaminates". It's not from transporting the car or rail roads, its from the semi metallic brake pads they use. They contain small pieces of iron. When you break, the iron in the pad flakes off and goes on your paint. I just went to the chevy dealer last weekend to ask about it.

You can try to clay bar it, or Use a product called IronX. You google ironx, it's 10x easier than clay.

· Registered
258 Posts
Well this weekend I was cleaning my Wife's White Traverse it's a 2009 and I have cleaned it many times for her in the past. This time though I noticed all over the back hatch a bunch of these tiny rust spots. I scrubbed the crap out of them and nothing, they wouldn't come out....

I did some forum searching and saw where sciphi posted back in 2011 that there are products to remove this rust, he mentioned "IIRC it's Iron-X". Is that still the best product to use for this?

Link to post-
http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/25-service-issues/2751-rust-paint-2.html

I read clay bar will not work for this situation.

· Premium Member
4,634 Posts
It's not from transporting the car or rail roads, its from the semi metallic brake pads they use.
This.

My car is covered in little rust spots that were not there when the car was new. Mine is white, but this happens to EVERY car no matter the color, it just shows up more on white than other colors. I don't wash my car in the winter, so a whole winter's worth of brake deposits are on the car. I even have a few on the FRONT of the car, which are deposits from the brakes of cars in front of me!

I have a proper 7" Makita machine polisher I use to polish our cars. A little 3M Perfect It glaze with a fine polishing pad takes the rust spots off pretty well, but this will take a lot of work if you're doing your whole car by hand. I would suggest heading to a detail shop and having them polish/wax the areas where the spots are if it's too much work for you and your car is covered in them.

Prevent this from happening? Try keeping the car waxed. This should keep the small metal particles from attaching so easily, as well as make it easier to wash them off (and keep the car cleaner overall as well). I didn't have time to do a full polish/wax before the winter set in last fall and I'm paying for it now. I will do so this fall and expect my springtime detailing to go much smoother. This is the first white car I've ever owned... I'm learning from my mistakes. I LOVE white, but those rust spots are a real PITA.

FWIW, my GF's black BMW has these little spots on it as well, but they are much harder to see on black.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.