Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Sunroof Not Closed Correctly?

15K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  CruzedudeJRG 
#1 · (Edited)
Not sure but I think my sunroof is not closed correctly the front is flush but the back is is recessed. Anyone know if this is correct. I forgot to mention that it opens and closes no problem.

Reflection Tree Water Leaf Sky

Reflection Water Sky Automotive exterior Tree

See less See more
#2 ·
The sunroof glass is adjustable to become level with the sheet metal.
From inside the car, roof closed, you can see 4 torx type screws installed horizontally at four corners of the glass frame.
In this case, loosen the left and right screws at the rear and push the glass up (gently) to become level with the roof.
Resecure the screws.......thats all there is to it.

Rob

#7 ·
Open your sunroof and make sure there's nothing blocking the rear of the opening.

#10 · (Edited)
Won't move unless the roof is closed......you should be able to see that the frame is slotted where the bolt passes through for this purpose.

Although a different car, I had to do this most recently on wifes new Trax (misalignments make me nuts too so I sing from the pew as you).
I think I've done the adjustment on four of my five last new cars.

Rob

#12 ·
Can you get it to fully close with short presses of the switch? I don't have the service manual but on most sunroof controllers there's often a re-learn procedure that runs through an open-closing sequence to learn the limit of travel and where it needs to be closed. If it's been working and suddenly stopped closing by that much (looks to be off by about half inch from closing) I'd be hesitant to try adjusting the glass where it attaches to the rail brackets. That's usually for tiny adjustments and not something where it isn't closing all the way.

#14 ·
The final position can't be controlled by the switch, just the opening and closing (sliding back and forth). When it reaches the closed position, it tilts into the final place and that it where it's off. I called a place called 'sunfroofdoctor.com' and he told me to open it blah, blah, blah and hold the switch for 10 sec blah, blah,blah but it did nothing.

Keep in mind that A. I've hardly ever used the sunroof. B. I just notice this recently and C. Other than it being off an 1/8 of an inch, it works perfectly fine.

#15 ·
He was probably talking you through the very common reset procedures. I was just looking at the owner's manual for the first get assuming that's what you have to jog my memory which controls they had. There's the button that controls the sliding open and closed and the other button for the tilt/vent feature.

Like a lot of the GMs of the era, it has the first detent (partial press) of the switch manually slides open and closes, but a fully press is the express (auto) open and close. With the sunroof slid open, if you press and hold the closed button does it still stop in the same place? After it's closed like shown in your picture, if you press and hold the slide closed button does it move at all? Can you use the tilt/vent button to get it to close the rest of the way. If you open it in tilt/vent mode and press close, does it also return to that same position?

Here's the service procedures.
Sunroof Control Module Programming and Setup

When replacing the sunroof motor/control module, the sunroof motor/actuator initialization/teach procedure must be followed.

Initialization and Learn Procedures

In order for the sunroof system to perform correctly it needs to establish its position and the force profile it will encounter under normal closing conditions. These two procedures need to be run when a new controller is placed on a vehicle, when a service procedure is performed on any mechanical component, or if the system seems to lose track of its known position.

Initialization and Reinitialization

When the sunroof controller is not initialized it will perform all 'Open' requests, but no 'Express close' or LIN-Bus communicated close commands. It will only perform a ‘Close’ operation requested by the switch with obstacle detection disabled. If an initialization procedure is interrupted the controllers will return to the not initialized state. Which procedure is run depends on the state of the controller.

For a module which is not initialized begin the process by holding the sunroof switch in the ‘Close’ position. The sunroof will move to the end of physical travel in the closed direction and store that position. During this time it is necessary to keep the switch active until the process completes. At the completion of the procedure the sunroof should back off slightly to its soft stops. The rest of the defined positions are determined by offsets from this home position.

For a module which has been previously initialized release the switch after the sunroof is considered fully closed by the software. Then hold the sunroof switch in the closed position for 10 seconds. The sunroof shall resume motion in the 'Close' direction until the end of travel is detected. During this time it is necessary to keep the switch active until the process completes. At the completion of the procedure the sunroof should back off slightly to its soft stops.

For learning the force profile for anti-pinch algorithm after initialization or re-initialization move the roof to the fully open position and release the switch. Activate the ‘Open’ function of the switch continuously for more than 15 seconds. At this point, the sunroof will automatically begin to move to the fully closed position. During this time it is necessary to keep the switch active until the process completes.
The first picture you posted shows the rear edge of the sunroof handing down below the metal lip. If you leave it like that, when it rains the water flows into the sunroof drain channels and I'm surprised the drain tubes haven't clogged and water leaked into the car's interior. It would also be a lot of wind noise. It's worth checking if the screws that hold the glass to the frame came loose but as mentioned earlier that looks like way too way out of the adjustment range which is why I'd suspect the sunroof's controller isn't programmed or working correctly and thinks that's the closed position.

Reactions: Muchodringo
#17 ·
He was probably talking you through the very common reset procedures. I was just looking at the owner's manual for the first get assuming that's what you have to jog my memory which controls they had. There's the button that controls the sliding open and closed and the other button for the tilt/vent feature.

Like a lot of the GMs of the era, it has the first detent (partial press) of the switch manually slides open and closes, but a fully press is the express (auto) open and close. With the sunroof slid open, if you press and hold the closed button does it still stop in the same place? After it's closed like shown in your picture, if you press and hold the slide closed button does it move at all? Can you use the tilt/vent button to get it to close the rest of the way. If you open it in tilt/vent mode and press close, does it also return to that same position?

Here's the service procedures.

The first picture you posted shows the rear edge of the sunroof handing down below the metal lip. If you leave it like that, when it rains the water flows into the sunroof drain channels and I'm surprised the drain tubes haven't clogged and water leaked into the car's interior. It would also be a lot of wind noise. It's worth checking if the screws that hold the glass to the frame came loose but as mentioned earlier that looks like way too way out of the adjustment range which is why I'd suspect the sunroof's controller isn't programmed or working correctly and thinks that's the closed position.
Ok, instructions are perfectly correct and solved my problem. Only thing to do is NOT push and hold the button alla the way (automaticclose) but half press it (manual close) and the reset and recalibration takes place. Thanx mate!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.