Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll get this out of the way now... lol.
picard-facepalm.jpg

I was on the local Interstate, data logging the E85 tune. Did a WOT from 3rd into 4th. At about 4500rpm in 4th, I hear a loud 'pop!', the car jerked pretty good, and I had lost boost. The car was fine after this happened, no smoke, engine was still running, no MIL, nothing. I could not build boost though.

So, I slowly crept my way off the next exit and into the local gas station parking lot. Popped the hood, and did a visual inspection of the engine bay. Intercooler pipes, vacuum lines for the boost and wastegate regulators, etc. Found nothing. My thought at that point was, 'Great.. Something is stuck open.' The turbo will spool, but I can hear it exhausting immediately, like its always bypassing. Sounded cool as i was driving, lol, but not good for my fuel trims.

Drove it home while maintaining vacuum pressures, poor thing was a snail. Once I pulled into the driveway, I called my buddy to assist in the situation.

We spent 45 minutes trying to diagnose this problem. We disconnected the BPV, several vacuum lines to see what is stuck open, every hose and line that involved the turbo system.

Finally, after becoming puzzled and staring at the engine bay, I look down past the turbo to see an intercooler pipe is completely disconnected from the coupling it was supposed to be clamped to. 'SOaB!!' I screamed, lol. My buddy came over, and looked at what I was pointing to. He laughed uncontrollably. Sure enough, put it back in, and the engine ran just fine after that.

Apparently, when I looked at it before, it wasn't completely separated, but rather 'creeping' out just enough that the boost can escape from the hole that was created, and when I drove it home, must have completely separated at some point.

Super facepalm... der der der!

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
...that's called 'Hocky Pucky' engineering: "...no DAMAGE, no PROBLEM..."

Reactions: OnlyTaurus

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,357 Posts
I've done this on my Volvo about 10 times. Only with that car, you blow a pipe off, and the engine instantly dies or you can go about 20 mph max and are dumping black smoke out the exhaust.

I'm really surprised the Cruze's computer didn't notice anything was wrong.

Silicone intercooler hoses make a tight fit and clamp down a lot better. But man, they're a huge PITA to get on.

·
Premium Member
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm still in awe over it all, lol.

But yes Cuda, I'm very pleased I didn't break anything..

·
Premium Member
5,158 Posts
It happens to the best of us. Glad to hear it was a simple fix, however!

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
That's not as bad as when I thought my driver's side window was stuck open. After cursing at the window that would not go up, I thought the only route was to make a dealer appointment. This was until I realized that the entire time I had been pushing the up button for the rear window!

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
One more source of "Could not Duplicate" followed immediately by the owner calling for a tow truck after leaving the dealership. :th_coolio: I am glad you found it, though.

·
Lyrical Wordsmith
6,748 Posts
Lol...

Just like the day i couldn't freaking close the gas cap, and i said "F my life better take it to the dealer" so when i got there, the guy looked at the cap clicked it once and it locked and he just walked away and helped the next guy... I was clicking it like 4 times.

(sigh) I think i made a thread about it too lol dumbest day of my life.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,357 Posts
Lol...

Just like the day i couldn't freaking close the gas cap, and i said "F my life better take it to the dealer" so when i got there, the guy looked at the cap clicked it once and it locked and he just walked away and helped the next guy... I was clicking it like 4 times.

(sigh) I think i made a thread about it too lol dumbest day of my life.
I couldn't figure out how to open the **** gas door the first time I went to fill up my car.

·
Lyrical Wordsmith
6,748 Posts
I couldn't figure out how to open the **** gas door the first time I went to fill up my car.
Oh and this too, i needed to read the **** manual... And some ******* in a BMW laughing at me, it's ok i will be laughing at his maintenance cost.

·
Premium Member
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Lol, I'm glad to see other facepalm stories are popping up. I feel better, haha. :signs015:

·
Administrator
15,750 Posts
Same thing happens when you lose the idler pulley on the supercharger on a 3800. The SC stops spinning and the engine still runs as if it was N/A. It adjusts fuel trims quickly and doesn't even throw a code.

So how does the car run as a 1.4L N/A?

·
Premium Member
2,134 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,020 Posts
No worse than me not putting the vacuum line on the BOV after install and then giving it 15psi just to hear it all go back in the wrong direction and out the air box.

·
Premium Member
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Same thing happens when you lose the idler pulley on the supercharger on a 3800. The SC stops spinning and the engine still runs as if it was N/A. It adjusts fuel trims quickly and doesn't even throw a code.

So how does the car run as a 1.4L N/A?
1st and 2nd gear were no problem. The last 4 sucked, lol. I didn't even bother using 6th.

If you had the slightest hill to climb, you'd be downshifting to a gear and driving at 4k rpms, lol.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Other than this how's your E85 modification running?

·
Premium Member
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Other than this how's your E85 modification running?
Waiting on an adjustment from Vince. As of right now, it's not really any stronger than the 93 tune with these injectors. I'm assuming he just sent me a tune without knowing that I have a clutch to handle the substantial power E85 can potentially make.

I also heard that they will only advance the timing a little bit at a time, which proves sending logs with the E85 tune are more frequent before fine-tuning. Apparently, knock sensors don't like E85? So the timing has to be advanced slowly?I forget who said something about that, maybe Hoon? I don't know, we'll just have to wait and see.

I may take a break from it after this tank is up, and test something I found very interesting running 93 with these injectors. That will be for a new thread. :)

·
Registered
172 Posts
I remember my first turbo car... Whelp, the forum isn't letting me enter to start a new line... again.. LOL. So instead of writing what I was going to write, I'll just have a small run on sentence. I'm glad to hear such a small thing was the problem, I'm sure your heart dropped for a split second there eh? :] Intercooler charge piping often blows off :) Get used to it at high boost.

·
Premium Member
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I remember my first turbo car... Whelp, the forum isn't letting me enter to start a new line... again.. LOL. So instead of writing what I was going to write, I'll just have a small run on sentence. I'm glad to hear such a small thing was the problem, I'm sure your heart dropped for a split second there eh? :] Intercooler charge piping often blows off :) Get used to it at high boost.
Lol, my heart sure did stop for a second. I thought I blew a major component.

I'm going to get a longer coupling for the section that blew off, it's a little too short. The pipes don't line up perfectly like the rest of them did.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts