Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is not a complaint and I know there are many gripes about the Steering. Why is my 14 CRUZE so sensitive while backing up out of my tiny Garage. I can see and feel the front end turn at virtually no speed at all while backing up when turning the wheel slightly. Not notchy by any means, almost floaty, or better yet floating. Did they improve the 2014 sensors?

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,454 Posts
Welcome to electronic steering. Our Toyota Camry is the same way, very light in parking lots, and then very sensitive to small adjustments, especially going down the highway. Hard to get used to at first - when I first got my Cruze, I couldn't keep it straight in a lane on the highway.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
916 Posts
Hard to get used to at first - when I first got my Cruze, I couldn't keep it straight in a lane on the highway.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Yes, same thing here. For the first couple of weeks, I was like an 18 year old texting on the phone.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,273 Posts
Post up those pics or it didn't happen ! Hahahahahahahah . No wonder I can relax on those long rides to no where in particular to do absolutely nothing other than to find every little quirky thing with me 3 year old cruzen and then I turn on the radio to enjoy how great me new audio system sounds driving in the slush for no reason other than to drive in the slush to get me slush guards full of calcium chloride slush balls that I get to kick off at the end of me ride from absolutely nowhere for nothing other than to over analize me new cruzen with absolutely no other Mods other than me new sound stage that I blast to anoy those that do not like LOUD music . And then we all get to laugh that it was all in good fun to go nowhere for nothing to see everything and not know WHY !

Reactions: jblackburn

·
Premium Member
6,917 Posts
Sensitive or not, do you still have control?
I think the cruze power steering feel very Buick like(over powered), and doesn't give very good feedback to the driver. I much prefer a more direct feeling steering, heck even prefer the feel of my 04 cavalier.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I think the cruze power steering feel very Buick like(over powered), and doesn't give very good feedback to the driver. I much prefer a more direct feeling steering, heck even prefer the feel of my 04 cavalier.
Girlfriend has a brand new Buick Verano. The steering on hers is heavier ?.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
6,917 Posts
Girlfriend has a brand new Buick Verano. The steering on hers is heavier .
Right but what I was getting at I really don't like a car it feels I can drive with a pinky finger in a parking lot. Most buicks I have driven are this way, very strong power steering.

I need to try a verano, its just to bad the base engine is still the 2.4L not the new 2.5L. No way I can afford the 2.0T engine. The all new 2016 verano looks great, hopefully it will have some engine upgrades as well. Way better looking than the 2016 cruze.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Steering is like breathing or playing the piano, the more you think about it, the more you screw up. Important factor in steering, is have making a turn, the steering wheel goes back to neutral on its own. Caster is a strong factor in this.

Driving the Cruze at first was strange, but effortless, took a bit to get use to it, but after some time in driving it, grown to like it. When I get into my other vehicles, steering becomes a lot of work.

Ha, was watching a 40's movie with Cary Grant in it driving on a mountain road. Was constantly rocking that steering wheel back and forth, and the faster he would talk the faster he would rock it. In reality, would have been weaving all over the road. Barely turn the wheel when driving.

If I had enough fingers to count on, would say I owned more vehicles without power steering than with. Two vehicles stick out in my mind, and when I was just a little guy at 16 years old. Somehow grew another foot between 16 and 18. A 37 Caddy Limo and a 41 Buick, both with all ball bearing Saginaw steering. But getting into a 41 Chevy without ball bearings, that was work.

Of course the ratios dropped considerably after this, but don't tell this to the DMV, still believe in hand over hand steering. Should be finger over finger, and you pinky at that.

Do you really steer a motorcycle? More like leaning into a curve, if you did crank the handlebars to the stops at 60 mph, would get a free ride over the handlebars. Landing a plane is another scenario, when you put on the flaps, have to put severe forward pressure on the control wheel or skyrocket into the sky, go into a stall and die. Need another hand to retrim the plane, try banking when putting severe pressure on the control wheel.

If driving a farm tractor pulling a plow, better not wrap your thumb on the wheel. If a front tire hits a rock, a spoke on that wheel will break your thumb off. Just use your four fingers on the wheel, your thumb must stay on top.

Have to say with these examples, Cruze is most like a motorcycle, just lean a bit when going into a curve and guide it around. When on a straightaway again, ease off, and the Cruze should straighten itself out.

They call this learning how to drive.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Right but what I was getting at I really don't like a car it feels I can drive with a pinky finger in a parking lot. Most buicks I have driven are this way, very strong power steering.

I need to try a verano, its just to bad the base engine is still the 2.4L not the new 2.5L. No way I can afford the 2.0T engine. The all new 2016 verano looks great, hopefully it will have some engine upgrades as well. Way better looking than the 2016 cruze.
Sorry if that came off as rude, didn't mean to. I actually like the Cruze's steering. It weights up well at speed. My Camaro has really direct and heavy steering...makes it less relaxing to drive because that mixed with the wide wheels causes it to pull every which way...gets exhausting wrestling it constantly. A lot nicer in the curves but i still find the Cruze to be more relaxing on longer..."cruzes" and daily driving haha.

As for the 2.4 in the Verano, you should test drive it. It actually is not that bad just a little buzzy. Haven't floored hers yet - has 300 miles on it. But up to 4k, its not too shabby. I'm sure the Turbo would be a hoot though.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
We looked at the Buick Verano, same Cruze body, a tad more luxury, gotta have those plastic chrome rings on the cup holders kind of thing.

But what really turned us off was the EPA fuel economy ratings in mpg. US ratings, US gallons, and those crazy miles we use.
21 City
Combined
30Highway

1 - 11 of 11 Posts