Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
FI Lunatic
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
It's been a long time since I posted here, but i thought I'd post a fuel mileage update....

In February I was fortunate enough to have a small mom-n-pop station on my commute to start carrying pure non-ethanol gasoline.
They only carry one grade and that happens to be 93 octane....lucky again!

My mileage has jumped nearly 10% since changing over and the car as would be expected, has more power and is more fun to drive.
I never got 'round to getting the tune, but I have the K&N SRI and run 45PSI tire pressure.

If it were not for about 6 miles of road construction, I know I'd be upwards of 43MPG. Hopefully this problem will complete over the summer.
I'll be moving closer to work in the fall, so my commute will change then and we'll have to see what happens with my mpg at that time.

·
Premium Member
6,917 Posts
Looking at Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada there are a few stations in my state listed as once having 93 octane E0, but I have never been able to find it. Everyone I check has the same 91E0 as every other station, the data on that website is a bit out of date.

gman19, I do check your fuelly.com mpg logs every now and then. Your mpg has always been slightly better than I get & I was always trying secretly to catch you.... great now you just made my task harder! I'll blame it on the longer, colder winter where I live.

Nice to see you back!

·
Premium Member
4,646 Posts
She'll in Canada advertises their 91 Octane V-Power as Ethanol-free. I've tried both their E0 and other E10 gasoline and I've been unable to reproduce a mileage benefit either way. After doing my research I really wanted to see am mileage increase with E0 but, for me and my driving anyway, it just isn't a reality.

gman, what fuel octane were you using before? The trends here so far have suggested that aggressive drivers in hot climates are most likely to see a mileage increase from using higher octane fuel, but I haven't seen much in the way of E0 benefitting mileage by a noticeable amount. E0 has more BTUs per unit volume and therefore should provide better mileage, but the increase is so small as to be statistically insignificant in real world driving scenarios, just too many variables present to draw solid conclusions.

·
Premium Member
6,917 Posts
E0 has more BTUs per unit volume and therefore should provide better mileage, but the increase is so small as to be statistically insignificant in real world driving scenarios, just too many variables present to draw solid conclusions.
Cruise set at the same speed and driving the same route is the only somewhat consistent way I could test, I easily pick up 2-4mpg with my cruze with the 91E0. However in mixed driving I could not see any benefit at all, only 100% highway trips. I also see much less increase when cold outside.

I will go as far as to say with my automatic cruze I have never gotten above 40mpg with any E10 fuel, and have easily gotten over that with no ethanol. I also want to warn anyone considering running 87E0, my cruze HATES this fuel & probably should be avoided.

·
FI Lunatic
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey again guys,
Before switching to 93E0 I was running 93 Octane Shell that the pump sticker stated "May contain up to 10% Ethanol", so take that for what it's worth.
I do have a good controlled commute...same route daily, same time of day, etc. The only thing I have no control over is this confounded road construction.
Typically we drive our Chevy Equinox on the weekends so the Cruze gets a break.

The jump in mileage was noticed, as stated, in February, when I switched. We had some bitter cold weather this winter with more than our normal amount of snow.
Despite these conditions, where in past winters I got 34-36 mpg, after going to 93E0, I saw up to 38mpg immediately. It was easy to keep the DIC at around 40-41mpg where it was impossible before.

Not to mention...going up on ramps....much easier with the added power from the E0 fuel.

I do drive the Cruze for mileage....I save my aggressive side for when I am in the Trans AM. I need to switch it over to 93E0 next!

·
FI Lunatic
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And...when I filled up this past Tuesday...my station had switched one of their 3 E10/15 pumps over to 87E0...

I will not be running 87E0, but maybe it is a trend that E0 fuels may become more widely available. I'll be running E0 as long as I can get to it.
Road construction will close the road in 2 places from June 1 to July 20....my station is between these closures so I will be finding out if they
will close the station or access will just be limited.....I hate the prospect of having to switch back to E10/15 fuels, even for a limited time!!

·
Premium Member
4,646 Posts
Before switching to 93E0 I was running 93 Octane Shell that the pump sticker stated "May contain up to 10% Ethanol"...

...The jump in mileage was noticed, as stated, in February, when I switched.
Well it looks like you found something that works for you, may as well go for it especially if the price is comparable and there's a performance benefit.

I have a feeling that the reason it's tough to get a feel for fuel related mileage/power improvements is the HUGE variety of fuels and fuel blends available across this continent. In my area only one company (that I know of) sells E0 fuel, and it's quite possible it is different than the E0 fuel blends sold elsewhere.

Another thing complicating matters is that E10 fuel is "up to" 10% Ethanol, so we really have no idea how much Ethanol is in the fuel we're buying.

Here's a quick read with some interesting fuel statistics for the US for 2013:

How much ethanol is in gasoline and how does it affect fuel economy? - FAQ - U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA)

"The energy content of ethanol is about 33% less than "pure" gasoline, although this varies depending on the amount of denaturant that is added to the ethanol. Thus, vehicle fuel economy may decrease by up to 3.3% when using E10."

In my case, since I've noticed little if any benefit in the E0 fuel I can buy, I'm going to try switching back and forth between 91 E0 and 91 E10 a few times this summer and see if there's anything else, like drivability/power, that's better or worse between the two.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts