Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone knows if switching rear drum brakes for rear disk brakes would be hard to do? Some of my friends told me it shouldn't be to hard.. Since LTZ has rear disk brakes, I guess it shouldn't be either. Anyone knows more about that? What would need to be done to make sure everything is proper and safe.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
Dont do it, not worth it.

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
I did this on my 2005 civic. It's probably not exactly the same but similar. To do properly I needed the following:
knuckles
hubs + bearings
calipers
discs
pads
rear brake flex hoses (different for discs and drums)
e brake cables

Also... though not 100% necessary since ABS takes care of most of the fluid pressure:
proportioning valve
brake booster

I've heard that you might need a new ABS unit on the cruze, which the civic didn't need. (The cruze might not either)

It's a guess at this point. I've done the conversion once and I plan to never do it again. It was a royal PITA.

·
Super Moderator
5,229 Posts
Since most of the breaking is from the front, changing the rear drums to disc is not usually worth the effort. Unless you intend to heavily autocross/road race and adjust the break bias, I wouldnt bother. But it is your car & money so take my opinion as it is.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I thought the same thing. I thought my car was not stopping well and rear disk would solve the problem. It has been contemplated by many but is not worth the effort. (It is more work than it is worth.) Just make sure the rear drums are adjusted and as most everyone says most the braking is from the front anyway. Keep the rear brakes adjusted and you should be good to go. If you don't know how, XR has a how to in the How to Section of the forum.

·
Premium Member
1,673 Posts
I thought the same thing. I thought my car was not stopping well and rear disk would solve the problem. It has been contemplated by many but is not worth the effort. (It is more work than it is worth.) Just make sure the rear drums are adjusted and as most everyone says most the braking is from the front anyway. Keep the rear brakes adjusted and you should be good to go. If you don't know how, XR has a how to in the How to Section of the forum.
Yes, adjusting the drums does help, as they are a little "loose" from the factory

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok. Yeah I was simply wondering.. One part is for better braking, thats for sure. But it would be mostly for the look. I plan to put really sick/expensive wheels on it! And personaly, I think it looks dumb to have really nice wheels but and drums right behind. lol Doing the work doesnt bother me at all. But if its way too expensive, i'm not gonna do it.

·
Premium Member
916 Posts
Best bet would start to call around the Junkyards and have them do a search for a totaled LTZ and purchase the whole axle assembly from the car and then just swap it in.

·
Premium Member
6,915 Posts
I encourage you to make this change and let us know what part numbers & changes you had to make. On my old car(2004 cavalier) there was a kit one could buy to swap to rear discs, it was almost $1,500. For that kind of money one would be better off trading for a 2LT or LTZ to get the rear discs & the sport tuned suspension.

·
Premium Member
1,673 Posts
Ok. Yeah I was simply wondering.. One part is for better braking, thats for sure. But it would be mostly for the look. I plan to put really sick/expensive wheels on it! And personaly, I think it looks dumb to have really nice wheels but and drums right behind. lol Doing the work doesnt bother me at all. But if its way too expensive, i'm not gonna do it.
Paint the drums a gloss black (caliper paint), and they don't won't be as noticeable through the wheels

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.