Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The dealers in my area are now only offering a full synthetic oil with there tire rotation oil change specials. I have always run the synthetic blend they offered before. I am am little concerned with starting to run full synthetic because isn't it true once you put full synthetic in a car you can't go back and use regular oil or synthetic blend anymore or it damages the engine?

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
16,535 Posts
I am am little concerned with starting to run full synthetic because isn't it true once you put full synthetic in a car you can't go back and use regular oil or synthetic blend anymore or it damages the engine?
Nope, old wive's tale. Not true with today's synthetic formulations.

The 1.4T is a bit hard on oil - oil temperatures run very high, which can cause sludge to occur with synthetic blend oils. A full synthetic oil is a good habit if it's a car you plan to keep a long while.

·
Premium Member
4,568 Posts
I think Chevy discontinued the blended Dexos and now is just doing these full synthetic changes for $49.95. I got mine last week and never heard about being stuck once you've used the full dexos.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is it still possible for me to go back to using a synthetic blend or topping off with a synthetic blend after this full synthetic oil change?

·
Registered
23 Posts
The original Amsoil synthetic was a dibasic ester...if water or antifreeze got in the crankcase, one had to "shovel" the glop out. It was not fully agreeable with mineral-based engine oils. I do not know the most recent Amsoil chemistry, but I understand it is now fully compatible with refined petroleum products and with major oil company synthetics..
Fully synthetic engine oils from major oil companies now typically use pao (polyalfaolephin) base stocks - examples are Mobil 1 and Mobil Delvac 1 (made specifically for diesel engines). The pao products are all blendable with mineral-base lubes.
I have run Mobil Delvac 1 for 250,000 miles in 4 successive VW diesels with no wear problems, no major oil consumption and no cold start difficulties (did not use a block heater in any of the VWs). After the 2 dealer-inflicted "free" oil changes, I will be going to Mobil Delvac 1, 5W-40 in my recently-acquired 2014 CTD.
For technical questions on Mobil products you might call 1-800-ASK-MOBIL.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts