Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 Chevy Cruze LT. 1.4L Turbo w/ a Short Ram Intake.

I have been changing the oil regularly since I bought the car a year ago with regular oil. I was thinking of switching to Synthetic oil. My oil change guy said it is better for the car in the long run if you are planning on keeping it for a while. Also that it will slightly increase your MPG. You can even go almost twice the amount of miles per oil change than a regular oil change. Only downside is it is a little more costly. Can anyone give me some insight or opinions on if they have made the switch? I was also told once you switch it is highly recommended that you do not switch back. Thanks.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,939 Posts
What's "regular oil"? Like, standard dino oil? How often have you been changing? You are required to use a Dexos-1 approved oil on this car or you'll void the powertrain warranty. Dexos-1 oils are at least a semi-synthetic.

Yes, synthetic oil is a great idea, and you can extend your oil changes to 7,500-10,000 miles depending on your driving.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just standard oil. I don't really ask what they put in. Its just standard oil for a regular oil change. I get it done every 3,000 - 3,500 miles.

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
Multiple people here will tell you to go to Mobil 1. If I were doing my own oil changes I would probably do this as well. In any case, you want to go with a Dexos 1 certified or compatible oil. Not all oil manufacturers are willing to pay the ransom (license) fee to be listed as Dexos 1 Certified, but they still produce a Dexos 1 compatible oil.

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
Just standard oil. I don't really ask what they put in. Its just standard oil for a regular oil change. I get it done every 3,000 - 3,500 miles.
By going with a full or semi synthetic Dexos 1 oil you can safely extend your oil change interval to around 7,500 miles. Who is "they"?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They is Midas

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've been told that once you switch to a synthetic oil that there is no going back to a regular oil. don't know how true that is but it puts me in a bind since I bought my '12 Cruze used. I don't see that I have any choice but to use a synthetic for my first oil change.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I've been told that once you switch to a synthetic oil that there is no going back to a regular oil. don't know how true that is
It is absolutely not true. As long as you use an acceptably rated oil there is no problem switching between synthetic and regular oil. However, if your Cruze has the 1.4 turbo, you should probably avoid the cheaper "regular" oil anyway.

·
17,939 Posts
I've been told that once you switch to a synthetic oil that there is no going back to a regular oil. don't know how true that is but it puts me in a bind since I bought my '12 Cruze used. I don't see that I have any choice but to use a synthetic for my first oil change.
Not true.

·
Registered
28 Posts
It is absolutely not true. As long as you use an acceptably rated oil there is no problem switching between synthetic and regular oil. However, if your Cruze has the 1.4 turbo, you should probably avoid the cheaper "regular" oil anyway.
Thanks, that clears up that misconception. Will the difference in price be complensated by the better fuel mpg's gained?

·
17,939 Posts
Thanks, that clears up that misconception. Will the difference in price be complensated by the better fuel mpg's gained?
You will probably not see a MPG improvement, possibly 1 MPG.

It pays off in that you don't have to change it for twice as long (7500-10000 miles) as discussed earlier in the thread.

·
17,939 Posts
actually exactly when to change the oil is confusing. I think that I could probably go 7500 miles before I'd see the DIC message telling me to change it.
Mine was trending that was. The DIC is accurate for semi-syn or synthetic only. I changed my 2nd oil change at 20% oil life left (~ 8,000 miles), where several indicated that you should change it from an oil analysis test sent in.

I sent mine from a Mobil-1 extended life sample in earlier this week; am awaiting the results.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Look here for the list of acceptable Dexos oils...

GM dexos information center

I personally run a full synthetic (Mobil 1 5w30) due to the high temperature nature of turbo's. Use synthetic and change when OLM hits 25-30% with confidence. I have learned this from information on UOA (used oil analysis) from owners of the same cars on - Bob is the Oil Guy

Change it yourself (very easy) to save even more $$.

Reactions: jblackburn

·
Registered
95 Posts
I change mine every 6 moths or so, when the OLM hits 0% ish...

Once a year on the truck, cause I don't use it as much.

Newer oils don't have to be changed as often, neither does the filter if you us a good quality one.

I have had a few friends test they're oil at our facility on the base with 15K km on it and they told them it was about 40% worn. Even out of Diesel trucks that tow campers and boats all the time.

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
That's an urban legend. It's been discussed widely on "Bobistheoilguy.com" and it will not hurt the motor. However, once you've begun with the increased protection of a synthetic lube, there is little reason to stop using it. It will pay dividends in the long run. If you are just leasing, maybe not. At least use what is in the OM.

·
Premium Member
2,020 Posts
The reason they tell you this is because of the seals.

"Regular" oil (non synthetic) will get into your gaskets and make them swell causing a seal. When you switch to synthetic, which is a high detergent oil, the "regular" oil will be cleaned away and could potentially leave your gaskets no longer sealed. So you will get some leaking. However, synthetic will eventually get into the seals and will also cause them to swell and thus the leaking will stop. But this is mostly for switching from regular to synthetic.

This is really only a concern with higher mileage cars where the potential for the gaskets to be worn is greater.

Another concern is that some of the synthetic will remain and could cause break down of the regular oil faster than normal. So it's be a good idea to flush the system with 4 quarts, drive 50 miles then change it again will another 4 quarts.

Serious concerns? No. But there are reasons. As far as engine breaks? Not likely.

It's recommend that regular oil is used to break in a new motor but after that you can switch to what ever. I'm pretty sure this won't apply to us (probably any newer motors).

The book says use Dexos-1 rated oils. I use Penzoil Platinum +5 and Mobile 1.

You should know what goes into your car at all times.

Reactions: Jabbo

·
Registered
95 Posts
The reason they tell you this is because of the seals.

"Regular" oil (non synthetic) will get into your gaskets and make them swell causing a seal. When you switch to synthetic, which is a high detergent oil, the "regular" oil will be cleaned away and could potentially leave your gaskets no longer sealed. So you will get some leaking. However, synthetic will eventually get into the seals and will also cause them to swell and thus the leaking will stop. But this is mostly for switching from regular to synthetic.

This is really only a concern with higher mileage cars where the potential for the gaskets to be worn is greater.

Another concern is that some of the synthetic will remain and could cause break down of the regular oil faster than normal. So it's be a good idea to flush the system with 4 quarts, drive 50 miles then change it again will another 4 quarts.

Serious concerns? No. But there are reasons. As far as engine breaks? Not likely.

It's recommend that regular oil is used to break in a new motor but after that you can switch to what ever. I'm pretty sure this won't apply to us (probably any newer motors).

The book says use Dexos-1 rated oils. I use Penzoil Platinum +5 and Mobile 1.

You should know what goes into your car at all times.
You actually use break-in oil to run in an engine...its neither conventional or synthetic oil like you buy off the shelf.

Its a high Zinc oil...no detergent...and usually a single viscosity like 30weight...etc. This is done to run in the Cam shaft. Its also done at the factory, not by the buyer. The business of having to break in the engine in your new car is total bunk.

I have switched between oils many times...never had issues.

Run recommended oil or better, a quality filter, wait till it goes on sale, change it when the car tells you to and be done with it.

You wont see an engine failure on a car that has the oil changed at the recommended intervals due to an oil issue. It will be something beyond your control.

·
Administrator
15,860 Posts
Without a doubt, you should be using full synthetic oil in your car. Synthetic Blend will not be good for more than 5-6k miles, and I wouldn't even dare using conventional oil in our cars. Full Synthetic, depending on your driving conditions, will go 7,500-10,000 miles.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.