Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my new Cruze 2 weeks back and so far I'm loving it!
Yesterday I let my girlfriend drive it and she unexpectedly gunned it while cruising at 80 mph.
Of course being in the passenger's seat my view of the tach was obscured but that needle spun up to what had to have been at least 6000+ RPM.
She kept it there for a few seconds until I emphatically protested and she let go of the gas.
My questions are:
Is it possible to redline with with an automatic or does a limiter kick in at some point?
The engine seems to be running fine but could there have been some damage incurred?

I noticed that when on the highway if i need to punch it the tach will hit 6000 RPM if I'm not careful.
The engine really does like to run fast.

Thanks!

Dan

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
The engine has a governer. It's 6100 in 1st and 6500 in 2-6.

·
Premium Member
485 Posts
I have an MT and if I hit the "red line" a limiter would kick in and if lose all power. It's nothing to be concerned with. 6000 isn't bad. You're power band runs out around 5500 anyway. If you tune the car then you can do away with the limiter

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,608 Posts
Small engines like to rev high for power. It won't hurt them.

That said, if it's a 1.4T, the automatic is stupid, and there's no power beyond 5000-5500 RPM on this engine. Use manual mode if you need power to avoid it doing that. If it's a 1.8, rev it hard up to the redline for max. power for passing/merging.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies.
I have an 1LT with the 1.4T.
It's an automatic and I sometimes use the manual mode when I'm in hill country.
I'll keep the RPM's in the 5K-5.5K zone.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies.
I have an 1LT with the 1.4T.
It's an automatic and I sometimes use the manual mode when I'm in hill country.
I'll keep the RPM's in the 5K-5.5K zone.

Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
with the 1.4T the power is lost after 5000 rpm, the boost starts to trail off a bit before that, if you had a boost gauge you;d see it. from my personal experience the sweet spot is 2,500 to 4500 rpm.

as for the high rev, if you hit the redline every once in a while it wont hurt it, but if you are constantly running it at the line then long term you may be seeing problems, but short term that should not have hurt it... this is my knowledge and i am glad some one posted on this i been curious, above is my full knoweldge of rev limiters

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't normally run my Cruze that hard. During the week I try to drive it so that I get the best fuel mileage.
On the weekends I don't drive that much but I do like to have a little fun :)
In Los Angeles it's all about passing power because no one ever let's you in. That's where a little extra burst of speed helps.
Plus it's always cool when you manage to slide in front of the Aston Martin before he realizes what happened.

·
17,608 Posts
Passing power you say?

In the words of Jeremy Clarkson,

The Cruze is great at pickup at speeds below 45. But otherwise...there's nothing there.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
Passing power you say?

The Cruze is great at pickup at speeds below 45. But otherwise...there's nothing there.http://www.autoguide.com/mobile
OK, I'm now thoroughly confused. My ECO MT has more than enough passing power all the way up to 80+ MPH when I have to shift from 3 to 4. Are you saying the LT MT doesn't have passing power above 45 MPH? I understand the automatics may not have the same passing power simply because the driver doesn't have control over the gear selection, but I would expect any of the 1.4T manuals would have more than enough.

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
yeah, but he would rather put a rocket engine bewtween his legs and yell "POWER!!!!!!" then drive a pratical car

Reactions: jblackburn

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
and btw i disagree, i have used the cruze to pass a windshield eater( drump truck without a net on and throwing rocks ). droped into 5th at 60 mph and gave it half throttle and in a blink was doing 90 and he was in my mirror. this car may not ahve the power that my dads V8 suburband or Durmax has, but it defiantly is not your family's volvo station wagon

·
17,608 Posts
OK, I'm now thoroughly confused. My ECO MT has more than enough passing power all the way up to 80+ MPH when I have to shift from 3 to 4. Are you saying the LT MT doesn't have passing power above 45 MPH? I understand the automatics may not have the same passing power simply because the driver doesn't have control over the gear selection, but I would expect any of the 1.4T manuals would have more than enough.
I guess it's about like most other small 4-cylinders in the class like a Civic. But no, from 50-70, the LT and the automatic, and yes, even the Eco - are slow. It's around 5+ seconds. That's terrible.

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
I guess it's about like most other small 4-cylinders in the class like a Civic. But no, from 50-70, the LT and the automatic, and yes, even the Eco - are slow. It's around 5 seconds. That's terrible.
if i leave in auto mode it is a bit slow on the uptake, but if i control the shifting the car has plenty of pep. again i m not saying this car is going to win a drag race against a top fuel dragster, but they can hold thier own on the road with ease

·
17,608 Posts
and btw i disagree, i have used the cruze to pass a windshield eater( drump truck without a net on and throwing rocks ). droped into 5th at 60 mph and gave it half throttle and in a blink was doing 90 and he was in my mirror. this car may not ahve the power that my dads V8 suburband or Durmax has, but it defiantly is not your family's volvo station wagon
Hey now, don't hate on Volvos. My old "station wagon" could do this. That's 50-90 in ~6 seconds. :D THATS passing power.

The Cruze is pretty quick for what it is at less than full throttle passes. I've dropped to 4th or even stayed in 6th sometimes and gone from 60-80 faster than I thought. But when you really ask it for everything...it was already giving it to you before you floored it.

·
17,608 Posts
Now where the Cruze REALLY comes into its own is the low-end torque. 6th gear is geared exactly the same as 4th in my old Volvo. I drove a road with lots of rolling hills last night with the cruise set at 55, right around 2000 RPM.

The Volvo would constantly downshift to 3rd to maintain speed on the hills. The Cruze had no problem at all pulling them in 6th, and didn't even lose any speed. The low-end power is very impressive from this car.

The little thing will launch from a stoplight and accelerate in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gears instantly when you touch the gas. The Volvo was like a big, lazy speedboat - reluctant to spool up the power. In DC traffic, which usually moves at ~20 MPH on the interstate during rush hour, the ability to put your foot down in 2nd gear and dart into a gap in traffic is great to have.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Passing power you say?

The Cruze is great at pickup at speeds below 45. But otherwise...there's nothing there.
Nonsense!

And since you used Clarkson, stupid bloody idiotic septic nonsense!

My manual diesel flies past just about anything when I stamp on the loud pedal and flick it down a cog or two, anywhere from about 40km/h up to 110km/h. (Say, 25 mph to 70 mph)

****, the ex's 1.4l slush-box equipped Peugeot would leave traffic in it's wake when you slid the selector across and chose the shift points.
^^^^Oh FFS, the alternative term for "Hades" is offensive???? Make that stupid bloody pathetic septic nonsense!!!

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
Hey now, don't hate on Volvos. My old "station wagon" could do this. That's 50-90 in ~6 seconds. :D THATS passing power.
not hating on the Volvo, my mother had one when i was young. i think it was that exact car too, if i am not mistaken was that a volvo station wagon cross country?... just saying the cruze can get up and go its not the family station wagon or van that is large and at times lacking power...

i am stero typing, i am sure alot of vans and wagons have big engines that would sooner rip off the door of the car its passing then sit there behind a slow drivers ed car.

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
and that volco ran great, right up until my mother cracked the block... it was not totaly her fault the dealership was main at fault but failed to ever take repsonisblity for their mess up... they changed the oil for her, but failed to put OIL BACK INTO THE CAR defeating the purpose of an OIL CHANGE... about 2 months later ( i was 11 or 12 at the time) i noticed the car running rough and had her check the oil... the man who did check it had a shocked look when he said" you have no oil, its not low, there is none in the engine at all( 4 quarts later)"

this happen during the summer time when temps were at 90*+... so needless to say that may be the reason the engine broke... but that is IMO i could be totaly wrong that cars need oil ( dumb dealership)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts