Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm having the exact same problems as described in this e-mail and I wanted to know what you did in the end?

I have a 2010 Cruze and the tail lights, brake lights (except for the central one in the upper rear windscreen) and trunk have stopped working. I took it to a dealer where they told me electricity was getting to the BCM, but nothing was coming out. Based on that, they said I need to replace the BCM. $1200 for the part and then $400 to install it and reprogram it.

I live in Chile, so things maybe more expensive here, but that is a ridiculous amount of money.

I have some questions:
1) Is it possible that the BCM might be okay but just need reprogramming?
2) Earlier in the thread, someone mentioned the soldering was pretty poor, is it really worth exploring this? Can anybody point me to circuit information for the BCM found in the trunk?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
7,900 Posts
I have a 2010 Cruze and the tail lights, brake lights (except for the central one in the upper rear windscreen) and trunk have stopped working. I took it to a dealer where they told me electricity was getting to the BCM, but nothing was coming out. Based on that, they said I need to replace the BCM.
Seems like an odd combination. I suspect that the cable either shorted out or became unplugged. I'd try another repair shop. I think there is a good chance the dealer's tech is misinterpreting something.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So just an update, the battery seems to have died definitively and now nothing is working except for something cranking under the hood.

Should I go back to the dealer and see if it's just the battery that was playing up all along? Are they likely to admit this? Here it's just turned cold for autumn, so it probably fits right?

·
Registered
110 Posts
So just an update, the battery seems to have died definitively and now nothing is working except for something cranking under the hood.

Should I go back to the dealer and see if it's just the battery that was playing up all along? Are they likely to admit this? Here it's just turned cold for autumn, so it probably fits right?
If possible have the battery tested .. if bad then replace see if your other problem go away..
battery tent to go out in when hot or cold.. i have had two battery go bad shortly after some brutal heat in the summer time.

·
Registered
110 Posts
My dealership let me know the bad news. He said both the BCM and the trunk latch need to be replaced. The tech thinks the BCM went bad which caused the trunk latch to go bad. The BCM will be 468 + tax and the trunk latch 169 + tax.

By the way, the taillights and the trunk latch are the only things not working on the car. Nothing happened that we know of that caused them to go bad and I have never done any modifications to the car. My cruze is a 2011 with 55,000 mile on it. I won't buy another car that relies solely on electronics to open the trunk.
Is is still under warranty ? I hope so .. when i got my cruze i thought it was strange how the truck had no release from inside the car and is all electronic. Hope they get it fixed for you

·
Super Moderator
7,469 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,469 Posts
Acquire one of these: 12V Ni-CD Rechargeable Battery

A few of these: Female Disconnects

some red and black wire

a couple of alligator clips

and a cheap meter from Harbor Freight (for some reason the picture will not load - but is a free coupon)

and you will have a great duo of troubleshooting tools

You could add one of these for a nice trio:

·
Registered
3 Posts
A few days ago, we discovered that the trunk on our 2011 Cruze LS would not open with either the key button or the rear trunk latch. The doors were unlocked and the keys were not in the ignition but it would not open by either method.

Today, someone stopped my wife to tell her the brake lights weren't working. So here are the result from my investigations. I am using terms from my owner's manual to avoid confusion.

Each taillamp assembly has 4 lights. The backup lamps and the turn signal lamps were working on both sides. The sidemarker lamps and the stop lamps/taillamps were NOT working on either side. The trunk deck inboard taillamps also were NOT working. The center stop lamp in the rear windshield was working. The license plate lamps also worked.

I checked all the fuses in the engine compartment and the instrument panel and they all looked good. I don't see any fuses for the rear lights in my manual except for fog lamps which I don't have. Fuse 16 in the instrument panel is for central locking system/tailgate and upon replacement, the trunk still didn't open. There's also a relay for "trunk open" that may be the problem.

I opened the trunk with the emergency handle inside. I removed both taillamp assemblies and did not see any signs of wire damage or loose connections. I removed the sidemarker lamps and the stop lamps/taillamps but did not see any visible signs that the bulbs were bad (I have not replaced them yet). I also removed the trim inside the trunk edges but again did not see any signs of wire damage or loose connections.

I'm not sure if there is a connection between the trunk not opening and the rear lamps not working as they may not have stopped working at the same time. It's perplexing to me that the center stop lamp, the turn signals, the back up lamps, and the license plate lamps all work. Any ideas other than take it to the dealer which I will have to do if I can't resolve this.
A few days ago, we discovered that the trunk on our 2011 Cruze LS would not open with either the key button or the rear trunk latch. The doors were unlocked and the keys were not in the ignition but it would not open by either method.

Today, someone stopped my wife to tell her the brake lights weren't working. So here are the result from my investigations. I am using terms from my owner's manual to avoid confusion.

Each taillamp assembly has 4 lights. The backup lamps and the turn signal lamps were working on both sides. The sidemarker lamps and the stop lamps/taillamps were NOT working on either side. The trunk deck inboard taillamps also were NOT working. The center stop lamp in the rear windshield was working. The license plate lamps also worked.

I checked all the fuses in the engine compartment and the instrument panel and they all looked good. I don't see any fuses for the rear lights in my manual except for fog lamps which I don't have. Fuse 16 in the instrument panel is for central locking system/tailgate and upon replacement, the trunk still didn't open. There's also a relay for "trunk open" that may be the problem.

I opened the trunk with the emergency handle inside. I removed both taillamp assemblies and did not see any signs of wire damage or loose connections. I removed the sidemarker lamps and the stop lamps/taillamps but did not see any visible signs that the bulbs were bad (I have not replaced them yet). I also removed the trim inside the trunk edges but again did not see any signs of wire damage or loose connections.

I'm not sure if there is a connection between the trunk not opening and the rear lamps not working as they may not have stopped working at the same time. It's perplexing to me that the center stop lamp, the turn signals, the back up lamps, and the license plate lamps all work. Any ideas other than take it to the dealer which I will have to do if I can't resolve this.
Hi did u find wat the problem was? I have same problem now

21 - 31 of 31 Posts