Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This thread is directed towards the TERRIBLE paint Chevrolet has put on my vehicle. (Sorry, I don't know where to post this) I have wanted and waited for Cruze Diesel since driving one in Australia. When it was available here in the states I bought mine, Summit White. I now have 17k on my car (I drives 120 miles a day) and I have multiple paint nicks in EVERY panel on my car, don't have a clue how Ive even got them on my trunk lid also??

This is the newest car/Chevrolet Ive ever owned. I have had Chevrolets since I turned 16 and bought my first car, a 1957 Belair. I am 57 years old and know how to take care of my vehicles, it is waxed every 3 mos. I have classic cars with original paint on many of them and have no issues like I have on this 2014. Whats the deal Chevrolet? How can you offer a new vehicle which "Water Color" paint?

Does anyone else have this problem? I am very dis-appointed in Chevrolet for offering such a poor product to all of us

·
Banned
2,226 Posts
This thread is directed towards the TERRIBLE paint Chevrolet has put on my vehicle. (Sorry, I don't know where to post this) I have wanted and waited for Cruze Diesel since driving one in Australia. When it was available here in the states I bought mine, Summit White. I now have 17k on my car (I drives 120 miles a day) and I have multiple paint nicks in EVERY panel on my car, don't have a clue how Ive even got them on my trunk lid also??

This is the newest car/Chevrolet Ive ever owned. I have had Chevrolets since I turned 16 and bought my first car, a 1957 Belair. I am 57 years old and know how to take care of my vehicles, it is waxed every 3 mos. I have classic cars with original paint on many of them and have no issues like I have on this 2014. Whats the deal Chevrolet? How can you offer a new vehicle which "Water Color" paint?

Does anyone else have this problem? I am very dis-appointed in Chevrolet for offering such a poor product to all of us
Its not just Chevrolet/GM using this type of paint. ALL/most manufacturers are using the water based paint from PPG because it user and environmentally friendly. As a professional detailer, when your dealing with water based paints that have clear coat, you MUST use synthetic products. Any cheap knock off will start to deteriorate the paint. Trust me.

·
Registered
307 Posts
It is truly unfortunate. At least you have the summit white, Its paint defects show the least of any available cruze color. the black granite, rainforest green, and blue topaz make it a pain to keep detailed 24/7

·
Premium Member
916 Posts
It's not just Chevrolet, it's across the entire industry. Water born paints are simply not hard enough to protect themselves from chipping.

·
Registered
479 Posts
It's not just Chevrolet, it's across the entire industry. Water born paints are simply not hard enough to protect themselves from chipping.
wrong companys like bently Mercedes audi BMW use water based and they are much stronger. but it reflects in the price i suppose . wonder if chevy uses stronger paint on the corvette

·
Banned
2,226 Posts
wrong companys like bently Mercedes audi BMW use water based and they are much stronger. but it reflects in the price i suppose . wonder if chevy uses stronger paint on the corvette
This is because manufacturers like Mercedes, audi, and BMW use a paint strengthener that is called Carran. It is a bio-based additive for water based paints and coatings to help make the paint stronger.

·
Registered
57 Posts
This is a pain I know all to well. Just bought my 2014 this January and it already has a bunch of chips on it. Doesn't help that I live in PA and several of the townships decided to save their crappy roads over the winter by putting down chip~n~tar last fall.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Has anyone noticed a poor paint job on their Cruze? I worked as a painter for a few years so maybe I'm just keyed in to it but it looks like someone fell asleep while painting my roof. The paint is very thick, so much so as to give it an orange peel appearance.

·
Banned
2,226 Posts
I treat my car better than I treat my girlfriend but still have scratches and marks everywhere. Truly pisses me off
What color is your cruze?

·
Banned
2,226 Posts
Has anyone noticed a poor paint job on their Cruze? I worked as a painter for a few years so maybe I'm just keyed in to it but it looks like someone fell asleep while painting my roof. The paint is very thick, so much so as to give it an orange peel appearance.
Mine looks fine. I have a pretty good eye for the most part, and while I detail my car almost every day, I have not noticed anything out of the ordinary. Fall asleep while painting lol....that's a wild card right there lol. Im sure you probably being sarcastic, but if you weren't, cars are painted with robots nowadays to speed up the production time. If someone had to paint a car by hand using what the body shops use, it would take them forever. At the factory, they paint the whole car before they put ONE part in it.

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
Funny, you can find this thread (not the OP) on every car forum on the web. People have been whining about factory paint finishes for decades. It is what it is. That's why I always request a bottle of touch up paint from the dealer with every car I buy. After over forty years of car ownership (some of them Chevys), I have yet to have one that didn't chip or pit from driving. If you want a trailer queen paint finish, don't drive it on the street. This winter, I had to pass a salt truck spewing the stuff across three lanes of traffic. I expected the entire side of the car to be peppered with chips, but nothing. Yes, the front has a couple after a year on the road, but I'll get to them when the weather is warmer.

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
Last I heard, robots don't fall asleep during their shift.

Reactions: Merc6

·
Registered
57 Posts
Mine looks fine. I have a pretty good eye for the most part, and while I detail my car almost every day, I have not noticed anything out of the ordinary. Fall asleep while painting lol....that's a wild card right there lol. Im sure you probably being sarcastic, but if you weren't, cars are painted with robots nowadays to speed up the production time. If someone had to paint a car by hand using what the body shops use, it would take them forever. At the factory, they paint the whole car before they put ONE part in it.
I am aware of the process, merely my method of expressing the problem. I understand that as a car manufacturer you're turning out tons of cars every week things can get missed but where's the quality control guy that's supposed to reject defects? I guess as a consumer I just naturally expect more from a brand new product.

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
Actually, robots were implemented to improve the painting process. When they were first introduced, there was a panic due to them using more paint than the human painters. Turned out the humans had gotten so good at laying down an even layer of paint, they were using too little. Look at the cars from the 70s and 80s and notice all of the faded, peeling paint after just a few years. The robots actually produce a more even paint layer if programmed correctly and they do it over and over. Yes, the water borne paint is truly different and a bit trickier to apply correctly. I've sprayed all of them over the years.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.