Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
it will improve fuel economy also allow for a bit better top end (maybe )

also hoping that GM has the majority part here. according to my father the allison transmission is one of the best out there ( i can agree after driving a few trucks) the others never seem to find the right gear to be in.

·
Epic Beard Man
5,389 Posts
Transmissions have never been Ford's strong point. It's always the weakest link. Best I can do is change the fluid often and hope for the best.

Hopefully they don't screw this one up.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,346 Posts
I almost posted this up yesterday, but I was trying to think of what to say.

Transmissions have never been Ford's strong point. It's always the weakest link. Best I can do is change the fluid often and hope for the best.

Hopefully they don't screw this one up.
GM or Chrysler either...especially with higher-power engines. I think a lot of it has to do with them not being adequately cooled, so frequent fluid changes are a must.

Surprisingly, my sister's 11-year-old Escape is still on the original transmission. Even with her horrible driving. Granted, lock-up in 4th does have a nice clunk associated with it.

The 2005 Liberty is on its 2nd transmission @ 75K miles.

I can't imagine how insanely busy these transmissions would be. Our 6-speed Camry is already very busy in-town and when asked to downshift on the highway, and others I've driven (Malibu, Sonata) are exactly the same way.

Lets hope they get the shift logic down sensibly. I hate how soon autos these days shift up and refuse to downshift when you step on the gas.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
My bicycle has 27 speeds, still a long way to go yet. But feel even nine would be more than enough, but not really a pro in this field.

What about a 450,000 diesel electric locomotive, no transmission at all, not even a reverse.

Wondered at times what my old 65 Buick Electra would get on the highway with that forth OD gear, was a 5,500 pound car and would average 20 mpg on the highway. But we also were buying real gas back then, not this 25% air stuff. But willing to bet with OD, would probably hit 24 mpg with that car with a very easy to repair engine. We are still using an IC engine.

One buck is all I had to lay out to rebuild that fuel pump.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Not quite, closer to ten bucks an hour when we were making our own stuff back then, engineers were in high demand. Yep, over $20,000.00 per year. Paycheck really went up in August when I met my FICA maximum. Signed up for a budget for my natural gas bill, that was 14 bucks per month. Property taxes on a four bedroom home was 110 bucks per year.

Gas was around 27 cent a gallon for ethyl. Today, have to set aside 4 1/2 SS checks just for property taxes. Mostly for completely worthless schools. We had very good schools back then, actually taught kids. Could go on, but this is enough.

·
Resident Derp
2,806 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,158 Posts
CVT's cannot hold as much torque as a real gear, at least not yet. Fine for passenger car use, awful for truck use.

These new transmissions will shift so fast it'll be almost imperceptible. GM already has shift times down to 35 milliseconds, which is fast.

If I recall correctly, some new 8 speed transmissions have fewer moving parts than a 4 speed auto box. Less moving stuff to break is fine by me.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
679 Posts
I'm not sure if you caught was was mentioned in the original article but the press release at Ford, GM to collaborate on 9- and 10-speed transmissions also states mostly the same thing.
This new agreement marks the third time in the past decade that GM and Ford have collaborated on transmissions. These collaborative efforts have enabled both companies together to deliver more than 8 million durable, high-quality six-speed front-wheel-drive transmissions to customers around the globe.

Ford installs these six-speed transmissions in some of America's favorite vehicles, such as the Ford Fusion family sedan, the Ford Edge crossover and Ford Escape and Explorer SUVs, while GM installs them into a variety of high-volume, award-winning products such as the Chevrolet Malibu, Chevrolet Traverse, Chevrolet Equinox and Chevrolet Cruze.

·
Registered
679 Posts
At this point why not just use a CVT like Nissan?

Transmissions don't need more than 6 gears. This is just a waste of time and warranty money
Yeah, beyond 6 gears sounds a bit crazy to me. Prior to this, I'd been hearing of 7 and 8-speed transmissions in other cars already.

As for CVTs, Nissan's been using them for a long while but I've heard mixed reports about their (belt and cone CVTs) from a reliability POV. From Consumer Reports, it looks like some of the early ones (e.g. Muranos from around the 03 model year and a few years beyond and the 04 Maxima and a few years beyond) had pretty poor reliability. Altimas have been using them for awhile and their transmission reliability seems ok.

The first and for awhile the only warranty extension at www.nissanassist.com was on CVTs, covering the 03 to 2010 model year of various vehicles.

Nissan's belt and cone CVTs come from Product Information | JATCO Ltd. Chrysler was using them for awhile (The Jatco CVT used in the Dodge Caliber, Jeep Patriot, and Jeep Compass) but it seems under the current management, they're moving away from CVTs.

·
Banned
1,123 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
So lets get this straight GM has been reviewed poorly for the cruze automatic transmission and Ford for the automatic in the focus. When both company's have crap what can we expect the outcome of this to be?

I am overall happy with the 2012 cruze automatic but there needs to be a few more gears. 1-4 ratios are nice and close, but there is a significant change with 5th and 6th. A great example of this having to take 4th gear to 2800-3000RPM just so 5th ends up still in the power band(above 2,000RPM).

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,346 Posts
So lets get this straight GM has been reviewed poorly for the cruze automatic transmission and Ford for the automatic in the focus. When both company's have crap what can we expect the outcome of this to be?

I am overall happy with the 2012 cruze automatic but there needs to be a few more gears. 1-4 ratios are nice and close, but there is a significant change with 5th and 6th. A great example of this having to take 4th gear to 2800-3000RPM just so 5th ends up still in the power band(above 2,000RPM).
Lol, 2-3 has a huge gap on mine, and then 5-6 are too close in ratio (like a 500 RPM drop).

ADD MOAR GEARS!!!

·
Registered
679 Posts
Well, on the Focus, from what I understand, their only currently available "automatic" (aka PowerShift transmission) is actually a dual-clutch automated manual, not a traditional automatic w/a torque converter (Efficient Ford Six-Speed PowerShift Automatic Cuts Fuel Use By Up To 10 Percent, Helps Fiesta, Focus Get 40 MPG | Ford Motor Company Newsroom).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts