Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
41 - 60 of 93 Posts
Ideally, regardless of height/weight you're supposed to test seating/wheel position by sitting with your back against the back of the seat, and place your dominant hand over the top center of the wheel, and be able to lay and bend your wrist on the wheel (so had hanging down between the wheel and the gauges).

Lol...I'm sorry. But we have an instructional thread about how to sit in a friggn car seat? I know I'm kind of trolling here but WTF? I keep seeing Ace Ventura when he slams his face into the seat.

Lol...I'm sorry. But we have an instructional thread about how to sit in a friggn car seat? I know I'm kind of trolling here but WTF? I keep seeing Ace Ventura when he slams his face into the seat.
Some people are used to one brand and a certain type of seat. Getting into a new vehicle with 8-way power adjustable seating can be tricky. Especially if you're stuck at the point of making minor adjustments and just can't quite get it right. Some people have issues with hip cramping. Some people can't hold their arms a certain way. It's easy to come to a forum and hopefully find someone with the same circumstances, just like what happened here.

I know. I apologize to all the fine folks I offended...if any. But sitting in a car seat? I mean like you said, 8 way adjustments may just be too complicated. Sitting can be a very strenuous and complex activity. Ok, before I get kicked out of here, I'm just going to say carry on. Feel free to make fun of me sometime.

6'2" 34 inseem. Most of height in legs, but....
My upper back hits the top part of the seat that angles forward causing my discomfort. My Gen 1 did it more than my Gen 2, but it is still there and annoying. I did not notice it so much on my test drive before buying. I wish I did.

6'2" 34 inseem. Most of height in legs, but....
My upper back hits the top part of the seat that angles forward causing my discomfort. My Gen 1 did it more than my Gen 2, but it is still there and annoying. I did not notice it so much on my test drive before buying. I wish I did.
Try leaning your seat back. If you want, I live near you and could show you how I sit.

Discussion starter · #51 ·
I'm finding that having my leg resting on the console/center stack isn't bad at all. I've actually moved my seat back forward a bit again. I also moved it a little higher as it drops my legs at a better angle to the pedal.

To respond to a few posts above- I've heard the advice about having the wrists align with the top of the wheel, and that's fine and makes the wheel position very comfortable, but the pedals would have to be a good 4-6" further into the firewall for that to work for me. I have to strike a medium of arm stretching and leg bending. And as for it being difficult to find a spot, it can be. I'm used to 1980's and 90's Fords where I would just slam the seat all the way back and that was it. No steering wheel adjustments, no bolster or cushion height adjustments- and no large center stacks or gas and brake pedals that were offset to the right slightly. So this is a whole new world to me, and it seems I'm not alone. Other have chimed in with their adjustments they needed to make. My goal is not only to help me find a comfortable seating position, but for others that may be in my situation as well. New cars are not as easy to get comfortable with for tall people. I don't know the truth to it, but I've heard that cars are now made for 5'8" folks now instead of 5'10". I'm having to get used to a whole different alignment of the pedals, dash and windshield height, and seat fit. I'm trying to find that perfect blend of the best comfort, best visibility, best pedal angle, and best steering wheel distance. And it's proven to be difficult because when I move one adjustment, it throws another off. I'm getting there though, thanks to the advice on this thread!

Side note, if you push your gas pedal all the way to the floor, does it make a click noise and go about an 1/8" further?

Ha, only thing I have to be concerned about is ducking my head when getting in or out. If I don't, will knock some sense into my head.

Just about every vehicle is this way, except my motorhome. Also like to be as close to the steering wheel as possible, you have far better control over your vehicle when you do this. But watch out for that airbag if it fires at you. Can normally avoid headon, but helpless when rear ended.

I'm 5'10" and like to drive in the lounge chair position. I push the seat back so I can put my feet on the floor beneath the pedals with straight legs. Then I lower the seat so my eyes are about mid way up the windshield. Then the seat back goes back to a comfortable Barco-lounger position. Finally I adjust the steering wheel and mirrors.

I'm 5'10" and like to drive in the lounge chair position. I push the seat back so I can put my feet on the floor beneath the pedals with straight legs. Then I lower the seat so my eyes are about mid way up the windshield. Then the seat back goes back to a comfortable Barco-lounger position. Finally I adjust the steering wheel and mirrors.
This is deceptively accurate of my setup. hahaha

Discussion starter · #57 ·
If I put the seat back to a position where my feet were straight to the pedals, my arms would be about 6" from the steering wheel. I'd be nearly into the back seat.

Discussion starter · #58 ·
Well Eric, you may be on to something with moving closer to the steering wheel. I had a 45 minute each way trip today to fiddle with adjustments. Initially, having the seat back far so my legs aren't cramped felt good, but then my hip started to hurt. I found that I was constantly tensing my muscles in my abdomen and hips to keep myself upright and holding on to the wheel. That, and I found myself shoving and rolling my leg slightly to hit the gas. So I shifted into a position similar to yours- I reclined the seat back a bit and then moved the seat forward until my arms were at a comfortable length for the steering wheel. My right leg now firmly rests on the center stack and my left leg rests on the door panel. It was awkward to hit the gas and brake, so I started raising the seat level and bumping it backward until I could switch from gas to brake quickly. I raised the steering wheel a small amount and actually dropped the thigh support level a little bit. Seems ok and my hip pain went away. I think it's because I was resting my leg and not holding it in midair, and also because I'm not straining for the steering wheel. Despite rubbing my leg on the center stack and door panel, it seems in the long run, I have better visibility, steering wheel control, and less hip pain when sitting close. From what I'm seeing, nearly all new cars require a tall driver to ride their leg on the center stack.

Discussion starter · #60 ·
That would be awesome. My knee rests about even with the automatic shifter when it's in park. The console hits a few inches below my knee. If there was a pad there, that would be about the best thing ever. Cars just aren't built for big guys anymore. And everything has a gigantic console and center stack.

41 - 60 of 93 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.