Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Tall people- preferred driver's seat position?

29K views 92 replies 15 participants last post by  ethangsmith 
#1 ·
Hi folks,

Just got my 17 Cruze. This is my first Chevy- I've always been a Ford guy, and my 2016 Fiesta will probably be the last one I ever buy. That car was a nightmare. I digress.....
I'm 6' tall with a 30" inseam (Longer legs, shorter torso) and I'm still trying to find a comfortable position to drive in. I have the power seat, so I get the added adjustment of the cushion angle. I've noticed that modern vehicles have the brake and gas pedals shifted towards the console in comparison to older vehicles. This makes my right leg ride the center console. With all the space this car has to offer, I know I'm just missing a comfortable position. I'd like to hear feedback from tall folks on this forum in hopes maybe the responses can not only be used for my benefit, but the benefit of other tall drivers considering a Cruze.

#3 ·
Good info. I've got mine most of the way back and the seat back nearly straight up too. I find tipping the cushion up and having the seat up about 1/3 of the way is pretty good. Keeps my thighs cushioned better. I just wish the steering wheel would come towards me further, but I guess they can't do that because of the airbag. Don't want to get too close!

#4 ·
6'2" 240 with a 32" inseam. I slam the seat as low as it will go, pull the wheel out as far as possible, but don't slide the seat all the way back. I like to be close to the pedals, but far from the wheel. I angle my seat back similar to how F1 drivers are **** near laying down, and I have the front of the seat all the way up. That's how I'm comfortable.

#7 ·
I'm 6'3" and 185 lbs. I have a Gen 1 and manual seats, but thought I would weigh in anyway. I put the steering wheel all the way up and slightly out. I put the seat all the way down. Then I move the seat forward until my knee touches the bottom of the steering column and then move it back a little. I have the seat back only slightly tilted. Headroom is not a problem for me even with the sunroof, but knee room is a problem because of the huge, bulky thing around the steering column.

#9 ·
I did some adjusting of the seat and wheel and it does seem more comfortable to be closer to the wheel with the seat back tilted back more. I also have the seat about 1/3 of the way up in its vertical adjustment. I'll have to keep playing with it but the ideas thus far have helped a lot. I just kept putting the seat further back, but I started to get hip pain and always felt like I was grasping for the wheel.

#17 ·
The only issue I run into when I'm closer to the pedals, is my legs want to flop to the sides and hit the console and door panel. I feel like I'm holding them up a bit. Otherwise, I definitely feel like i have better control and also better visibility since I'm a little forward of the B pillar.

#19 ·
Ok. I'm guessing having your knee resting there doesn't impede driving at all? And it's not uncomfortable? On my Fiesta, I had no choice but to jam my leg into the console/center stack area. If I hit a bump, I would smash my knee into the HVAC controls. It was quite uncomfortable. The passenger side was even worse- I couldn't sit straight in the seat. With my leg smashed against the center stack, I was at probably a 10-15 degree angle off center. In the Cruze, I feel like I have more than enough room- even in the rear seats!

#21 ·
Wow, you've got your seat quite a bit further forward than I do. Mine is about where your passenger seat is. I have my cushion at about the same angle, but I think I have the seat a tiny bit higher. My seat back is at about the same angle as yours too. I experienced what you did with the steering column trim. If I go any further forward than what I have my seat currently, I smack my knee on it getting in and out and also when I hit the brakes.

#24 ·
Well, I did some driving around today. I tried driving with the seat up like you have yours and found that I hit my knee on the steering column. My hip pain started to come back too. So I had to back the seat up again. I'm still fiddling with what's perfect, but I've used a combination of the advice on this thread and I'm definitely close to a comfortable position. Seems like having the seat slightly elevated, the front tipped up, and the back almost straight up and down is the best. Now I just need to figure out how far back I need to go. With the seat the whole way down, I get a lot of hip pain and I think I lose some visibility. I have it moved up to about the level of the passenger's seat and it works well. I think that may have been half my problem- I had the seat too low.

#27 ·
In one of your earlier posts, you mentioned hitting the steering wheel with your knee and then just scooting the seat back a little. Do you like to have your steering wheel higher or lower? I like to have mine low- just high enough I can read the gauges.

#28 ·
When I am seated in my driving position, the inside of the top of the steering wheel just barely clears the fuel and temp gauge. My ultragauge completely blocks the DIC screen.

I also don't ever adjust my seat. It stays in one position and one position only.

#31 ·
As low as it will go. That's why I'm thinking it's too low.

I did more driving this morning and I still prefer having the seat back further than closer, but moving the seat lower and tipping the front of the cushion up definitely helped A LOT.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.