Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on doing some audio work on my car and was wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction as far as aftermarket stereo dash kits. I'm looking to put in a delco cd/cassette deck. Might even throw some subs in while I have everything apart.

·
Premium Member
7,796 Posts
I'm looking to put in a delco cd/cassette deck.
Why? Even if you find a working cassette deck, there's no guarantee how long the belt will last - or being able to find a replacement belt.

The money you spend would go a long ways to buying used CDs.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not doing it because its practical, I'm doing it because its wrong. I'm actually rather good at working on tape decks, seeing as I own 4 of them. Besides, if I was able to install a standard sized single or double din console, whoever owns the car after me could put in whatever aftermarket radio they want.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
There is no reason ever to do this. Lower sound quality, time it takes to skip songs, both come to mind. The Chevy Colorado, Spark and most models of Sonic have NO CD player these days and yet you want to go back even further in tech.

If I wanted a tape deck I would not be driving a cruze or any modern car for that matter.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Talked to the guy at my local car audio shop, and he said the dash kit would be $40, and he's willing to give it a try if I supply the tape deck and wiring harness!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess you could qualify me as a hipster, I collect anything retro including vinyl records, tapes, Atari Games... I also cant stand the current music trends. Dubstep sounds like an old IBM computer trying to have sex, and I almost exclusively listen to 70's and 80's music.
****, even my Cruze has a Tron-esque pinstriping job.

·
Premium Member
7,796 Posts
Vinyl records I can understand. Some claim a better sound from them. Cassettes never had that going for them.

But then I was walking past a Diesel store and saw a mannequin wearing a couple of cassette shells as a necklace. So I guess it's a in thing now.

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
Why dont you run a quadraphonic 8 track lol. No kidding I installed one for a guy with a full system it sounded cool as crap! yea unknow its crazy for someone to have a $6k system and the main source unit was a 8 track lol

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
I support this!! Go for the tape deck. And hair-metal. Old school rap, too.
Nothing against any type of music but why not buy it on a modern format that actually sounds good? Was around during cassettes and myself did not switch to CD's until late. With that said I burned every last one of them I had along with all my VHS tapes.

What's next forgo the DVD/bluray player for a VHS or betamax in the car? Still think this modification is pointless.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Nothing against any type of music but why not buy it on a modern format that actually sounds good? Was around during cassettes and myself did not switch to CD's until late. With that said I burned every last one of them I had along with all my VHS tapes.

What's next forgo the DVD/bluray player for a VHS or betamax in the car? Still think this modification is pointless.
Have you ever heard of nostalgia? The authors idea reminds me of my 1983 Buick Regal(first car) into which I installed a Blaupunkt tape deck and Pioneer 12's. Good memories!!
nos·tal·gia
näˈstaljə,nəˈstaljə/
noun

a sentimental longing or wistful affection for the past, typically for a period or place with happy personal associations.
"I was overcome with acute nostalgia for my days in college"

synonyms: reminiscence, remembrance, recollection;

something done or presented in order to evoke feelings of nostalgia.
"an evening of TV nostalgia"

Who cares if it is pointless to you, it's whatever MotleyCruze wants to do. I like his idea because I see the humor in it. Plus, tape decks have Auto-stop for the next track which is awesome-sauce. I wonder what brilliant audio engineer figured out that type of circuit?

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
Have you ever heard of nostalgia?
Get an old car where the tape deck belongs....

There is also no sentimental value in a cassette tape, its the music itself which can be better reproduced from CD or even USB when compared to a crappy cassette.

EDIT: I should add any money invested would be better spend upgrading your music collection.

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
Get an old car where the tape deck belongs....

There is also no sentimental value in a cassette tape, its the music itself which can be better reproduced from CD or even USB when compared to a crappy cassette.

EDIT: I should add any money invested would be better spend upgrading your music collection.
Have you played a pin ball machine or a juke box its fun.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
Have you played a pin ball machine or a juke box its fun.
Not even on the same level, pinball machines and juke boxes have never been replaced with a superior format or similar modern device. Tapes were crap when new, and certainly will not give a user experience one would expect in 2015+.

Isn't it about the music and not the format? Guess you guys are all missing the point, go ahead and waste your money just to get something that worse than what already comes installed in the car. Still say the money is much better invested in upgrading your music library.

Even if I bought a $100 beater car first thing I would probably do is remove the tape deck and put in a modern deck with CD/USB.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Today I had to drive my neighbours shop truck which is an old Mazda and it had a tape deck in it. It brought a smile to my face and reminded me of this thread. If I could have Cassette tape in my car, along with the bluetooth streaming and apple car play of course, I would do it. It does take you back...

1 - 20 of 38 Posts