Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Tapping noise coming from vent system

4829 Views 12 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  ChevyGuy
Not too long after I got my Cruze LT1 AT, it developed a kind of a tapping noise from the vent system when switching between defrost and defrost+floor, independent of fan setting. It sounds like it's an internal vent that is sticking/binding, as if when the vent moves to change direction,it is not operating smoothly.

Anyone else have this problem? I'll be bringing it in for service this week, but I'm just curious if it is a known problem.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
47 Posts
This is a typical problem with the newer vehicles and the electronic vent control motors. The motor gets stuck somewhere then forgets where it was and starts trying to go past its "limits" and that is the clicking you hear as the gear skips and snaps back into place and continues moving. As stated a battery disconnect SHOULD reset the motor and when the car is first started after being "dead" the motors try to find their "range".

If you continue hearing this, i would take it to the dealer ASAP to get it taken care of; if you let it continue it may strip the plastic gear that turns the vent and then it wont move at all and you may not notice until years from now (and then the car will be out of warranty, YAY!)

· Premium Member
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the response. I saw the earlier threads on this "problem", but the noise description sounded different than what I thought I was having. Now that I know it is the same thing, I have an appointment set up for wednesday morning to take care of this, as well as the paint issue behind the back doors on the edge of the fender.

· Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
Thanks for the response. I saw the earlier threads on this "problem", but the noise description sounded different than what I thought I was having. Now that I know it is the same thing, I have an appointment set up for wednesday morning to take care of this, as well as the paint issue behind the back doors on the edge of the fender.

UpstateNYBill,
Please keep me posted on the outcome of your visit to your dealership. I am sure everything will work out just fine. If you have any further questions please feel free to message me.
Thank you,
Stacy Chevrolet Customer Service

· Banned
9,198 Posts
04 Cavalier had a problem like during these cold icy rain freezing days, told my wife to set the heater controls when stopping the car, and not touch the mode switch until the temperature gauge reached a quarter. She forced it anyway and bend a 12 buck cable that I had to replace. Okay to pull on it, but not to push on it by turning the mode control CW.

Now with the Cruze, that simple to repair problem is complicated with electric motors and plastic gears. Yes push button operation is nice. So now I am telling her, when she pulls into the garage, to hit defrost and to turn the blower motor off. That weather has not changed, still get moisture in those mode and blend doors that freezes them tight.

Same is true of power windows, mirrors, and windshield motors, stalled completely in an icy rain and draw current like crazy. May not damage these motors, but will definitely shorten their life, the brushes will burn spots in the commutators. Least as opposed to our Cavalier, the top of the door frames are under rather than a part of the roof. Another problem with the Cavalier, don't pull on the door handle, it will end up in your hand if caught in an icy rain. But we haven't been caught in an icy rain yet with the Cruze.

We the Cavalier, did clear off most of the ice as possible around the door, managed to open the trunk, drop the rear seats, and crawl through to put outward pressure on the door without breaking anything. Won't be able to do that in the Cruze unless we leave the back rear seats down.

Another option is to leave it there until summer. So why do I still think our vehicles are made for the showroom?

· Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
Same problem. Mine is going in on sat for it

carey965,
I would like for you to keep me posted on this issue as well. If you have any additional questions please feel free to message me.
Thank you,
Stacy Chevrolet Customer Service

· Banned
9,198 Posts
Could be quiet, wasn't much of a problem when galvanized steel blend and mode doors were used, with brass gears, good blower motors with screws, and healthly blower modules that can take a surge. But is a problem today with all plastic that suffers from excessive thermal expansion.

One very powerful push is by the EPA, with far more interest to make an automobile a lot easier to recycle. Even want us to use the same kind of plastic, its easy to melt down plastic and reuse it. Just saying, don't blame the engineers.

· Premium Member
3,164 Posts
Problem fixed. No more noise. :)
Don't know if it's the same thing or same exact noise (although your description of it sounds spot on) but I now too have this issue ever since my dealership did the latest Mylink update for me early last month. What was the solution to this problem for you? My noise seems to be coming from the top of the whole dash, mainly around either the center defrost vent and/or the driver's side defrost vent area. Thanks!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.