Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I am former VW TDI owner that decided to jump ship to a cruze. From my 2010 Jetta TDI I will now be using my newly purchased 2012 1LT RS as my daily driver.

I have spent the couple of weeks reading several of the threads in this forum, from maintenance, to audio upgrades and others. I am a big fan of a great sounding audio system and just recently took out everything from my Jetta before I gave it back. I was planning on just porting over most of it and calling it good. But after reading the SQ threads I have decided that I want to do that kind of build. I plan on creating a thread in the audio section to ask many, probably very simple, questions, to others who have built similar systems. I have a tendency to overthink things sometimes...

Thanks to everyone who has provided this wealth of knowledge and information for all current and future cruze owners.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Your post is a bit of a surprise because you bought a gas Cruze instead of a diesel! That hadn't even occurred to me as an option! LOL!

Reactions: BrandoFisher117

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Your post is a bit of a surprise because you bought a gas Cruze instead of a diesel! That hadn't even occurred to me as an option! LOL!
What he said. hahahaha

·
Premium Member
4,147 Posts
As the owner of a Cruze diesel for nearly 5 years, I am surprised you didn't get another diesel.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Honestly I never did think about the diesel cruze. Given my current financial situation I wanted to get something under $10k so i can use a good chunk of my buyback to paid down debt. I just happened upon a listing for this cruze and because i have a friend that has an eco decided to check it out. Test drove it and really liked it. Got a pretty good deal for it too.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As the owner of a Cruze diesel for nearly 5 years, I am surprised you didn't get another diesel.
I had my Jetta for 7 years...will be taking it back this weekend. While I doubt i'll be able to get 55 MPG hwy like I did in my Jetta my driving style lets me get really close to my city mpg that I got in my Jetta. Which is what I primarily drive. While I will miss my TDI... there is just something about my cruze that seems... better, more at home for me.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just filled up for the second time earlier today. I must say I'm enjoying the nearly $20 a tank I'm saving from switching from diesel to gas while still getting nearly the same mileage per tank of city driving. I will miss that diesel smell though...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Welcome! Being a huge highway driver I was really interested in the TDI but heard the maintenance costs were outrageous. Glad you're liking the Cruze so far

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
I have a diesel cruze. Don't find maintenance to be anything more expensive than any gas I've ever owned

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Welcome! Being a huge highway driver I was really interested in the TDI but heard the maintenance costs were outrageous. Glad you're liking the Cruze so far
Oil was a bit pricey, Castrol LL03. But otherwise I don't think costs were too bad. But then again I'm a diy'er.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your Cruze, would be great to see it. This forum really is a ton of help. With a little bit of research you can find an answer to all your questions. Have fun surfing around!
Posted a few pictures of it in my garage. The blue interior accents was something the previous owner did but I really like it.

This site is amazing and very well laid out compared to some other forms I have been on. Makes searching for things a lot easier.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Welcome to the forums.
Your Cruze seems like a blue version of mine.
I bought mine used 3 yrs old and the previous owner had tinted and blacked it out including the rims.

·
Premium Member
4,147 Posts
I just filled up for the second time earlier today. I must say I'm enjoying the nearly $20 a tank I'm saving from switching from diesel to gas while still getting nearly the same mileage per tank of city driving. I will miss that diesel smell though...
In Australia diesel is currentlycheaper than E10 and more than that for decent petrol. Price is per litre.

View attachment 227362

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
In Australia diesel is currentlycheaper than E10 and more than that for decent petrol. Price is per letre.

View attachment 227362
Diesel was for a while near the same as premium unleaded ( usaully 91 octane) where regular ( 87 octane) was anywhere from 25 to 50 cents per gallon cheaper. As I type this diesel has settled between regular and premium for the time being.

After a bit more research one reason that I never noticed the diesel cruze is that it doesn't come with a manual transmission. An option that wasn't available until the mk2 cruze was released.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts