Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I replaced my temp switch today due to it saying my 2016 Cruze Limited is overheating but reading ice cold. Went and replaced it, reset the car so it doesn’t act stupid and try to throw old codes, awesome, it starts reading again and I leave it to idle so I can see if it does dumb stuff again. The temp after sitting on idle for 15 minutes reads out at one quarter on the cool side. This isn’t normal operating temp from what I understand. Heat was on full blast and I even rev up and the temperature drops a little more. Any ideas on what this is? I’m stumped after filling the coolant back up and all.

2016 Chevy Cruze Limited LTZ 1.4 Liter L4 Turbo

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's likely the issue. The heater is bigger than the engine. It can suck all the heat out of it.
Okay so it didn’t start doing this until I changed the sensor. And I did purge the system properly now so I ruled that out. She’s still doin it. It’s only 46F outside so I feel it should hold heat right now.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Not an expert here, just guessing. Old cars used to have 'linear' temperature gauges. If you were climbing a hill, the temp gauge would go up. If you were descending with engine braking, the temp gauge would go down. For the last 20 years or so, the temp gauges have been 'idiot gauges', that stay in one place no matter what you do. They did this so idiots wouldn't complain to the dealers about cars with nothing wrong. It's as if they have three positions. Cold, normal, and overheated. Maybe in this car, this is a property of the sensor more than the gauge. Maybe your new sensor is more linear.

·
Premium Member
7,900 Posts
Okay so it didn’t start doing this until I changed the sensor. And I did purge the system properly now so I ruled that out. She’s still doin it. It’s only 46F outside so I feel it should hold heat right now.
If you've bled the system and coolant is at the right level, I think the only thing left is a thermostat that's stuck a bit open.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just replaced the thermostat and its still doing it, did a coolant flush and bled it again so I'm lost. Worst thing that can really happen is I can't use heat unless I'm moving. I can't figure it out man.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts