Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Temp Sensor Location

18169 11
My mom drives a 2012 Cruze with the 1.4L Ecoboost engine. So far I’ve had to replace he ignition coil, I have replaced several coolant hoses, a junction on the driver side of the block, the water pump, and the thermostat. Now, once again, the car is having overheating problems. I have deduced that her radiator fan will kick on, but once the temperature rises, the fan speed does not increase. I started checking fuses and relays thinking one was bad preventing the fan from speeding up. I found the relay that makes the fan speed up, and tried swapping a few relays out. None of them sped the fan up. I took a jumper wire and crossed the terminals inside the fuse box and got the fan to kick up into a high speed, and the temperature started to come back down. I talked to another mechanic and he said that there is a temperature sensor that should tell the relay to engage and speed up, but he didn’t know where it was and I can’t find it. Anybody who knows where this sensor is or has any other ideas as to why the fan won’t engage to a high speed, please help! I hope I made myself clear enough.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
880 Posts
I’ve attached 2 images. One is on the radiator and the other is on the water outlet.

Line art Auto part

The ECT in the water outlet has gold terminals and the radiator has tinned terminals. Make sure you buy the appropriate sensor
Line art Drawing
Line art Drawing

·
Registered
102 Posts
The sensors generate variable signals that are monitored by the PCM. The PCM then decides when to activate the fan relays.
If the sensors were bad, you would likely be setting a code for it.
It may just be that the PCM programming just isnt turning the fan to a higher speed at the temps you are seeing yet.
Do you know what the actual temps were?

·
Administrator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red, 1.4T Auto
13,986 Posts
Which terminal is showing on picture 1 ?
Welcome Aboard!(y)

What do you mean, "which terminal"?
The water outlet is the first picture and the radiator is the second one.

Don't forget to introduce yourself and your Cruze here.

·
Administrator
13,986 Posts
What happens if you put the gold terminal in where the tinned terminal should be?
Welcome Aboard!(y)

While I do not know the exact engineering behind it, I will just assume the range and/or the operation of each is different. It will not work as it should if you swap them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Welcome Aboard!(y)

While I do not know the exact engineering behind it, I will just assume the range and/or the operation of each is different. It will not work as it should if you swap them.

I went to Napa auto parts and gave them both part numbers they both cross referenced back to one sensor so I tried it and it won’t fit in. The shoulder is a bit bigger so I had an extra gold plated one from my other Cruze I put it in just to try it and the car is now reading temp. So the radiator sensor is definitely bad. I think my thermostat is stuck open also. It’s 55 degrees right now and I took it for a 10 mile drive and the temp only got to 165 anyway to check it or do I just replace it?

·
Administrator
13,986 Posts
I went to Napa auto parts and gave them both part numbers they both cross referenced back to one sensor so I tried it and it won’t fit in. The shoulder is a bit bigger so I had an extra gold plated one from my other Cruze I put it in just to try it and the car is now reading temp. So the radiator sensor is definitely bad. I think my thermostat is stuck open also. It’s 55 degrees right now and I took it for a 10 mile drive and the temp only got to 165 anyway to check it or do I just replace it?
In the old days, I would say drop it in a pan of boiling water with a candy thermometer and see when it opens, but these plastic ones I am not sure if it could take it. As cheap as they are, I would just replace it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts