Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went in for my first synthetic oil change today. Wanted them to check the chirping which forums indicate is the tensioner. Dealer wanted to charge $99 to assess. I told them I wouldn't pay that as the noise was loud enough for anyone to diagnose.

They tell me it is the tensioner, drive belt & crankshaft seal that need to be replaced. Only thing covered under powertrain warranty is the crankshaft seal. Cost for the rest is $91 for parts & $146 labor for total of $237. Is this reasonable?

If I get my private mechanic to do the work I guess I will have to pay for the crankshaft seal out of pocket. Would a private mechanic replacing it invalidate the powertrain warranty?

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will run the check you recommend. Also, would this mean anything--I only hear the sound inside the cabin when the ac is on.

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am wondering if the bad crankcase installation for the bad PCV valve hasn't caused this problem with the crankcase seal. If you go back to my malfunction lamp posts you can read how the first replacement crankcase cover had a bad gasket & the engine lost 3 quarts of oil flooding the engine compartment. Any comments?

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, I am getting ready to go in for this repair. Thanks for all the input but I am still a little confused what I should ask for. So the dealer is going to replace the crankshaft seal under warranty. Also says I need a belt & tensioner. Should I say that the belt should be covered under the crankshaft seal warranty repair & just agree to pay for the tensioner & labor to install the tensioner? I think that is what I have been able to get from all the posts.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts