Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

terrible in the snow?

12504 Views 84 Replies 45 Participants Last post by  Garandman
Good morning everyone,

Does anyone else feel that the cruze diesel is terrible in the snow? My previous work beater / daily driver was a 1999 taurus and its handling was far superior to the cruze in snowy conditions. The thing I find odd is the cruze actually weighs slightly more than the taurus, which I thought would improve winter traction. Could it be the lrr tires on the cruze? My taurus had an excellent set of michelin tires on it, I'm wondering if putting a set on the cruze would solve my problem.

Any thoughts?
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

· Premium Member
945 Posts
I have a Cruze Eco with the same Goodyear Assurance LRR tires, with the same complaint. As a fellow MI resident, I take it you were also out in the same stuff I was yesterday? It made it through it all without any real problems, but it never made me feel *confident*. I always felt like I was right on the edge of losing traction. Some of my previous cars inspired more confidence. That being said, the loss of traction was fairly linear and predictable.

· Registered
748 Posts
I have been told its those tires they are not ment for any weather other then dry

· Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a Cruze Eco with the same Goodyear Assurance LRR tires, with the same complaint. As a fellow MI resident, I take it you were also out in the same stuff I was yesterday? It made it through it all without any real problems, but it never made me feel *confident*. I always felt like I was right on the edge of losing traction. Some of my previous cars inspired more confidence. That being said, the loss of traction was fairly linear and predictable.
Yes, I am refering to the weather from yesterdsy. You hit the nail on the head, not confidence inspiring at all. Especially when the azz end starts sliding for no apparent reason.

· Premium Member
945 Posts
I didn't have problems with the rear sliding out, but there were times where it was hard to get the front wheels to hook up and get moving from a stop. They have been fine in other conditions for me so far, but this is the first time they have been in real snow and it shows they aren't great in snow or ice. The survey on tirerack for these tires is pretty much spot on.
Text Font Line Parallel Number

· Premium Member
6,727 Posts
Its the tires, I believe tirerack.com even list them as summer only tires. I have a 1LT with 16in firestones, drove a cruze ECO in the snow and was surprised how poor its ECO tires were in comparison.

Using the reviews and surveys on tirerack I was able to get an even better all season than the ones that came on my 1LT. They are superior in every way except the initial bite of the tire, I have to use a lighter foot on take off from stop signs.

· Registered
217 Posts
In my experience, most OEM tires that you get on new cars, especially entry level cars, are not the best quality or choice of rubber that's available out there. You will have the option of picking out your choice of tire when these wear out at about 30-40 K. I got OEM Michelins with my new CTD car which sort of impressed me. It certainly beats getting some crap like Goodyear GA's.

· Premium Member
24,131 Posts
When I first joined CruzeTalk sciphi and I had a conversation about the Goodyear FuelMax Assurance tires on the ECO trims. Our conclusion based on comparing results of these tires in different types of snow is that they handle reasonably well in the dry snow we tend to get in the west but that they don't do nearly as well in the wetter coastal and upper midwest snow. So if you live between the first range of Pacific rimming mountain ranges (Cascades, Sierra Nevada, etc) and the eastern edge of the Rocky Mountains the Goodyears will work in most conditions, but not as well as dedicated snow tires. In any other snow country you really need to get snow tires for any amount of snow.

· Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, I drive over 100 miles a day just to and from work, so I'm thinking these tires are not going to work. Anyone have experience with the michelin mxv4 tires on a cruze?

· Premium Member
1,351 Posts
Don't waste your time with all season tires, especially if you are driving 100 miles a day.

Get yourself a dedicated set of snow tires on steel rims and you will wonder why you didn't do it sooner. Seriously.

· Premium Member
6,727 Posts
With 100 miles a day I agree with upstateNYbill, you really should have snow tires.However as bad as the goodyear fuel max tires are in the snow/ice one could find a drastic improvement even with a better all season tire.

My insurance deductible is $500, so if snow tires/rims save me from a crash they pay for themselves & save me a big headache.

· Registered
51 Posts
I have a complete car set (4) of Michelin X-Ice xi2 winter tires mounted on OEM 16" alloys from a brand new (700 miles) 1LT for sale. Same size a the OEM Firestones, P215/60R16. I bought the tires and wheels and TPMS (GM original) sensors and had all mounted by Discount Tire the beginning of March 2013. If you recall, we had several snow storms in MI during March and the tires were GREAT in the snow. Tires were on the car for about 1000 miles. Why am I selling? Because I need to sell my Cruze, now on Craig's List, since it can't tow a travel trailer. There is now a Silverado in the drive to replace the Cruze. But, bottom line, if you are interested, just PM me. I am in Lansing.

· Registered
817 Posts
I installed Blizzack's on my Cruze Diesel two weeks ago because I drive 90 miles a day myself.

Honestly, they seem to slide much more than previous winter tires IMHO, but overall they are an improvement over stock.

Winter tires usually make me feel pretty confident, these do not.

· Premium Member
1,351 Posts
My insurance deductible is $500, so if snow tires/rims save me from a crash they pay for themselves & save me a big headache.
Bingo!

How much money, time, etc. will you lose if you have an accident because your all season tires weren't up to the job?

Don't get me wrong... I am not picking on you. I ran a lot of my vehicles for many years without snow tires. Looking back, I wish I had done otherwise.

· Premium Member
373 Posts
worst front wheel drive car I ever drove in the snow ever. If I didn't have a Silverado in the garage I would definitely invest in good snow tires. I came back from Baltimore last night in the storm. All was fine until I got to NJ. Then it was tough going. The Silverado couldn't do NJ Baltimore round trip on a tank of gas. But when it comes to winter weather. Better to be in a Silverado wishing you were in a Cruze than in a Cruze wishing you were in a Silverado

1 - 20 of 85 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.