Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got to tell you the Dart is pretty **** fast and fun to drive with the manual trans and 180hp. It felt just as solid as the Cruze and the handling was about as good too. The Cruze is quieter and feels more refined but when you get the Dart up around 4k on the tach with your foot on the floor it really scoots. One place where the Dart falls down is the motor sound at idle. I don't know if it's the multi-air stuff in the valvetrain but the motor is very noisy when you're stopped.

I might get one someday maybe a year from now when they are thick on the ground and you can get a good deal. Horsepower can be fun.

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
...engine (tappet, valve clatter) noise or exhaust sounds? Normally, a turbo tends to muffle/purr exhaust sounds

·
Premium Member
2,020 Posts
We were excited for the SRT-4 Dart, but after looking at pictures of it, we were really disappointed. It's hideous! Fun or not, I don't want to be seen in it.

·
Premium Member
2,020 Posts
Cruze only looks good in person because they don't show you the Eco with the chrome wheels (IMO the best looking model). Alright, I suppose I can check it out in person. I DO want to test drive the SRT-4 model

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,534 Posts
I hated the Powerband. Nothing, nothing, ZOOOM.

It does go really nicely, but it's very very hard to drive smoothly.

Also, the interior materials are cheap, my foot caught on the under dash thing, the transmission is clunky, and the clutch isnt very progressive.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts
I'd rather get my hands on an Alfa. The Dart is a bastardized Alfa. I grew up in Alfa Romeos and learned to drive in them. When I was looking for my first car, Alfa was talking about bringing a new spider back to the US. I ran out of time waiting and ended up purchasing a Pontiac Fiero 2M4. If I had waited for the Alfa I would still be waiting.

·
Super Moderator
5,175 Posts
I've got to tell you the Dart is pretty **** fast and fun to drive with the manual trans and 180hp. It felt just as solid as the Cruze and the handling was about as good too. The Cruze is quieter and feels more refined but when you get the Dart up around 4k on the tach with your foot on the floor it really scoots. One place where the Dart falls down is the motor sound at idle. I don't know if it's the multi-air stuff in the valvetrain but the motor is very noisy when you're stopped.

I might get one someday maybe a year from now when they are thick on the ground and you can get a good deal. Horsepower can be fun.

Sounds like what they said about my 1992 Olds. Acheiva SC(180 HP with a 5 speed). Had the HO 2.3 16 valve engine(first of its kind) and there were complaints about engine noise but I never heard the engine noise they were talking about till @ 5000 RPMs. No need to "tune" this car!!! LOL Fun to drive until I was pulled over for drag racing when I was 20 yrs old(talked my way out of it). Then I got rid of it to get a 4dr sedan which turned out to be quicker and more nimble Eagle Summit ESI automatic.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think the noise I heard was in the valvetrain. Definitely not an exhaust sound. Sort of clattery but you couldn't hear it at speed. The acoustic isolation in the Cruze is excellent, not so much in the Dart. I didn't think the interior materials were cheap and I like the seat better than the Cruze.

The reason I was at the dealer in the first place was to buy a Ram hemi pickup. I traded in a plain Jane GMC 4.3 V6 195hp with a 4sp automatic and bought the hemi with 20" wheels, 6sp auto and a few items that feel luxury compared to the GMC. Stuff like power windows and a carpeted floor, lol. I owned the GMC for 2-1/2 years. Paid $15.5k new and got $12k trade-in and a smoking deal on the Ram too. It had a $27k sticker and I got it for $19,995. So it was the old truck plus $8,000.

·
Premium Member
2,704 Posts
Cruze only looks good in person because they don't show you the Eco with the chrome wheels (IMO the best looking model). Alright, I suppose I can check it out in person. I DO want to test drive the SRT-4 model
I guess people forget how stunning an LTZ RS model is :th_coolio:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Sounds like what they said about my 1992 Olds. Acheiva SC(180 HP with a 5 speed). Had the HO 2.3 16 valve engine(first of its kind) and there were complaints about engine noise but I never heard the engine noise they were talking about till @ 5000 RPMs. No need to "tune" this car!!! LOL Fun to drive until I was pulled over for drag racing when I was 20 yrs old(talked my way out of it). Then I got rid of it to get a 4dr sedan which turned out to be quicker and more nimble Eagle Summit ESI automatic.
I had the same HO Quad4/5spd in my first car when I was 16: 1990 Beretta GTZ. No power around town, but wind it out and it was a different story. I had that car doing probably 130mph the first week or so I got it. Speedo went to 120 and it was way past that. To be young & dumb again. haha

·
Registered
311 Posts
I saw a Dodge Dart on the road last week the car is ugly looks like a old school Neon under a new name.

I completely agree. Some of the online pics seem decent, but the car looks terrible in person. It just looks like a reworked neon. Very cheap and childish looking.
The advertising photos are very misleading for it.

The side/rear profile looks like a prius in my opinion. lol, same car different tail lights.
Even with the winter wheels on, my Cruze looks so much better than those two! It looks stout and agressive, while they look bulbous and cheap.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Mid-size car Full-size car
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive design Mid-size car
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Toyota prius

·
Premium Member
2,020 Posts
I thought this was still a rumor. I know announced the new RT (or GT as they call it).
GT is the new RT and RT will (possibly) become a redundant overlap of both the GT and SRT4, or otherwise a big f-ing failure. The GT badging is a lame move IMO and I suspect an attempt to gain Ford market share by confusing people/mimicking Ford. Might as well put ST on it. But Dodge says the original Dart sported a GT badge before anyone else and they're going back to their roots o_O

Sorry but I think Dodge needs to stick to trucks. they can't even make a decent super car. (let the flame war start)

·
17,534 Posts
GT is the new RT and RT will (possibly) become a redundant overlap of both the GT and SRT4, or otherwise a big f-ing failure. The GT badging is a lame move IMO and I suspect an attempt to gain Ford market share by confusing people/mimicking Ford. Might as well put ST on it. But Dodge says the original Dart sported a GT badge before anyone else and they're going back to their roots o_O

Sorry but I think Dodge needs to stick to trucks. they can't even make a decent super car. (let the flame war start)
They can't make a good truck either. Apparently the new Ram has impressed people, but for the past what, 15-20 years, they paled in comparison to a Ford or Chevy.

Jeep was all they really had going for them, but they ruined that too.

·
17,534 Posts
Just how the new Ford escape is a copy of the Honda CR-V.
Not really. Escape > CRV. Ecoboost ftw! Nicer interior too.

The Escape refresh was long overdue. People don't want truck-based SUVs anymore - it's more about the crossover now. They've been making basically the same car since my sister's 2001 Escape. It was a good vehicle though. Very powerful V6.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts