Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
2,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well tonight on my way home, I noticed my gas gauge lit up and I thought to myself "Oh ****". When It came on, I just got down the road from work about 5 miles. So I knew I wasn't going to make it home. I was 45 miles from home yet. I got a little over half way home and there she went. I called OnStar by pushing my emergency button and Jennifer there contacted Chevrolet roadside assistance and told the other lady at Chevrolet exactly where I was and got some info from me. I waited about 20 minutes and here comes the helping party with 2 gallons of fuel. I got gas put in my car and on my way again I went. It didn't completely run out, I pulled over on the side of the to call for help. I didn't want to run the tank bone dry because the fuel pumps depend on fuel to cool them and that's how fuel pumps usually go out...and I didn't want anything to happen to the pump. I hope Chevrolet customer assistance and OnStar sees my thread/post because I owe it all to you guys. Thank you all so very much. Its nice to have this service with the Chevrolet family. Chevrolet for life =]. Thank You also OnStar for assisting me as well. Everyone was so kind and calming me..i felt comfortable and safe still even though I was on a busy highway. I appreciate it very much.

·
Banned
2,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There was...but with the gas mileage ive been getting and I knew what was left in the tank, I figured I would make it home. I went 65 the whole way home. It never chugged or acted like it was going to die...but I went ahead and called Chevrolet and onstar for help since I did not want it running bone dry and mess with the fuel pump. I passed atleast two stations...but they were expensive lol.

·
Banned
2,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It wasn't all that worth it haha...I just didn't want to stop at those stations lol. Ignorance I know. I like going to a certain gas station for fuel because of the quality of gas they have. The real reason why I didn't stop was because I wanted to keep trucking along to see how much further I could go, but then I decided to pull over at the half way point which i wasn't near a gas station til i got home, and the nearest station was 20 miles in the opposite direction so i took action =].

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
I've run mine out of gas before. My bad. I managed to coast 3 miles to a gas station. No ill effects to report as of yet.

The "low fuel" light, on the Cruze Eco at least, is a "fill up NOW!!!" light instead of a "consider stopping soon" light like all my other cars. I try to fill up with 1/4 to 1/8 of a tank left, before the light comes on.

·
Registered
108 Posts
It wasn't all that worth it haha...I just didn't want to stop at those stations lol. Ignorance I know. I like going to a certain gas station for fuel because of the quality of gas they have. The real reason why I didn't stop was because I wanted to keep trucking along to see how much further I could go, but then I decided to pull over at the half way point which i wasn't near a gas station til i got home, and the nearest station was 20 miles in the opposite direction so i took action =].
I'm not impressed. Let me know what happens when you "try out" OnStar's emergency crash response.

·
Banned
2,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
283 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,917 Posts
Anyone know how much gas is left when the low fuel warning comes on with an ECO? With my 2012 1LT there is exactly 2.5gallons reserve(13.1 burned) of the 15.6 gallon tank when the low fuel warning goes off.

with 2.5 gallons left I could travel 45 miles no problem, I usually fill the tank at 1/4 so I have no worries like this though. 1/4 tank is good for 110-175 miles with my 1LT, more than enough time to find a gas station.

EDIT: I should add that the range indicated in the DIC appears to use all available gas(you will run out following the DIC), 20miles past the low fuel warning the range just says "LOW" and if you stop your car as soon as you turn the key forward the DIC has a low fuel warning message. Low fuel warning usually comes on with 70-80miles range remaining in my car.

·
Premium Member
916 Posts
My wife ran out of gas in her Jeep TWICE in ONE day.

The first time she ran out of gas, it was a mile from the house on her way to work. She passed 2 gas stations before it coughed up on the side of the road. I rescue her with a one gallon can. As I'm putting it in. A Cop stops and said says.."Yup my wife does it all the time...LOL" :)

She goes to work.

Second time...same day. I get home and park in the garage. As I'm heading out of the garage to the house. Who do I see walking up the driveway......yep my wife. The Jeep is out of gas AGAIN 30 feet from the driveway. I bust out laughing and tell her the gas can is in the garage...have fun. I go in the house and turn the TV on and just start shaking my head.

This went down about 2 weeks before Christmas. Santa gave her a brand new Jerry Can under the tree. It was the best Christmas ever. :)

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
Well tonight on my way home, I noticed my gas gauge lit up and I thought to myself "Oh ****". When It came on, I just got down the road from work about 5 miles. So I knew I wasn't going to make it home. I was 45 miles from home yet. I got a little over half way home and there she went. I called OnStar by pushing my emergency button and Jennifer there contacted Chevrolet roadside assistance and told the other lady at Chevrolet exactly where I was and got some info from me. I waited about 20 minutes and here comes the helping party with 2 gallons of fuel. I got gas put in my car and on my way again I went. It didn't completely run out, I pulled over on the side of the to call for help. I didn't want to run the tank bone dry because the fuel pumps depend on fuel to cool them and that's how fuel pumps usually go out...and I didn't want anything to happen to the pump. I hope Chevrolet customer assistance and OnStar sees my thread/post because I owe it all to you guys. Thank you all so very much. Its nice to have this service with the Chevrolet family. Chevrolet for life =]. Thank You also OnStar for assisting me as well. Everyone was so kind and calming me..i felt comfortable and safe still even though I was on a busy highway. I appreciate it very much.
chevycruze2012,

I am glad everything worked out for you. Please be safe driving while you are out at night. Well anytime of day for that matter.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Banned
2,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you Erica=]. Im just glad it wasn't dark out lol. People don't pay attention very often around here in iowa at night. Even in the daytime when they see a stopped car on the side of the road with their hazards on, they don't move over like they should. It kinda irritated me a little because what if someone was texting and wasn't paying attention and went over the side line and ran right into my car at 70 plus mph...I would be furious. But luckily that didn't happen so "September" and I are okay =]

·
Registered
334 Posts
Santa gave her a brand new Jerry Can under the tree. It was the best Christmas ever. :)
:bowing:
You, sir, deserve a medal!

If Santa would have left a Jerry Can under our tree after the exact same circumstances had occurred, I would have been divorced!

·
Premium Member
916 Posts
:bowing:
You, sir, deserve a medal!

If Santa would have left a Jerry Can under our tree after the exact same circumstances had occurred, I would have been divorced!
Luckily for me she can take a joke. But that's the best thing about it coming from Santa....it could have been given by anyone. :)

Reactions: airbornedave

·
Registered
742 Posts
Thank you Erica=]. Im just glad it wasn't dark out lol. People don't pay attention very often around here in iowa at night. Even in the daytime when they see a stopped car on the side of the road with their hazards on, they don't move over like they should. It kinda irritated me a little because what if someone was texting and wasn't paying attention and went over the side line and ran right into my car at 70 plus mph...I would be furious. But luckily that didn't happen so "September" and I are okay =]
This is why fuel gauges were invented, to advise it is getting low stop and fill up prior to running out. Is less than $5.00 in gas prices per fill up worth getting hit? I hope this doesnt happen again to you, cause as you pointed out wrecks happen all the time from cars stopped on the highway, or off to the side of a highway.

My dad once pointed out to me that even a difference of $0.10 for a gallon of gas from station to station only changes the final cost of $1.50(if your tank was empty filling 15 gallons), is that worth shopping around for the best price and taking the chance of running out?

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts
My ECO MT turns the low fuel warning light on at ~1.4 gallons left in the tank and the "Low" range indicator at 1 gallon.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.