Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a new car.

I drove to the Chevy lot & *REALLY* like the Cruze.

So, I came online to see if I could get reviews about it.

I never imagined such a problem with people getting antifreeze fumes inside the cabin of their cars & nothing being done about it for 3 model years.

I posted to the Chevy rep here to ease my concerns and received nothing in reply.

If that's the kind of service that a pre-sales customer gets, I have no interest in fighting for post-sale help.

My heart goes out to you folks with the anti-freeze issue.

Plunking down $20,000 and having to deal with the incredible inconvenience of repeated dealer trips & not even getting a solution is unreal from a supposedly new General Motors.

Lastly, I hope no one has long term health issues from inhaling the antifreeze fumes every day.

All the best & thanks again for keeping me from a potential similar fate. I have enough to worry about in life. I don't need anything else.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have an 2011 and don't have this issue. You can read forums on any vehicle and see bad things. Doesn't mean everyone has the issues or bad dealers.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I haven't had that issue and I have 50k miles on my car. What do you plan on getting?
What scares me is the people with over 10k miles on their car & it supposedly just started doing it.
So, even doing incredible due diligence on a specific Cruze in the dealer lot wouldn't assure me that I wouldn't have a similar fate.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,359 Posts
May need to go up to the mid size class. There was nothing else in the small car class I really liked, but nearly every automaker has a competitive car in the midsize segment with mid to high 30s mpg these days.

Accord, Altima, Camry, fusion, and sonata all have good reliability ratings and are excellent cars for the money.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
5,158 Posts
I considered a VW Jetta TDI briefly. The HPFP issues scared me away, even though 99.99% of those cars will never have a HPFP issue. It's the same with the Cruze. 99.99% of them will not have any coolant-related issues.

Keep in mind that most folks post to a forum when they have a problem, so problems will seem much more widespread than they really are. Go browse a Honda or Toyota forum for issues. For example: Fits like to eat injectors, coils, and batteries. Civics munch their automatic transmissions. Camrys randomly accelerate due to whatever. Tacomas rusting out from underneath the owner. ALL makes have issues that when posted to an Internet forum get blown way out of proportion to the number of cars out on the road.

I have 43k miles on my Cruze, and no coolant smell or issues, just like most Cruze owners out there.

For a midsize car, they're all the same flavor of vanilla. Although the 2014 Mazda6 looks amazing. Put that one on your list for sure.

·
Registered
137 Posts
My neighbor bought a new Sonata Thanksgiving weekend and has already taken it back twice for electrical problems. Things like headlights dimming and the heater fan failing to blow out adequate air. Sometimes you just get unlucky.

·
Administrator
15,750 Posts
I agree 100%.

The amount of people with this one issue though is very concerning to me.
There is one critical flaw in your logic. You came to this board looking for problems, and you found them. However, you failed to understand that this board is a magnet for problems. The two biggest reasons people come here (in order of significance) are:

1. they have a problem with their car
2. they are enthusiasts

As such, there is an over-saturation of owners with problems on this board. The flaw in your logic is in assuming that the membership on CruzeTalk.com accurately represents the general Cruze owner population. I'd say for every owner here that has a problem with their cruze, there are at least 100, if not 1,000 that don't have any problems. The simple fact that many of us have no such problems should be peace of mind enough that this is an isolated incident related to a part in a defective batch that was resolved. To put this into perspective, consider that well over half a million Cruzes have been sold.

The coolant smell people had with 2011 models was related to an overflow tank for which a TSB was released, and the coolant smell people had with 2012 and some 2013 models was related to a bad batch of leaking water pumps, the latter of which is covered under the 5 year, 100,000 mile powertrain warranty. When you consider how many members we actually have, you start to understand that a relatively small percentage of them have problems with thier cars, and those who are having insurmountable difficulty in getting their problems resolved are running into that difficulty due entirely to their dealership's incompetence and incapability to correctly diagnose and resolve their problem. Don't be fooled into thinking that this is a GM dealership thing though; dealerships are privately owned entities, many of which sell a variety of brands. For example, the dealership from which I purchased my Cruze also had a branch that sold Kias, Hyundais, and Subarus.

If you spend more time on here, you will find that the vast majority of dissatisfaction anyone has with their Cruze is directly related to the competence level of their dealership.

Stacy, GM's customer service representative on this board does not spend all of her time on this board. This is not her full time job, and we are rather fortunate to have her on this board as many other auto manufacturers don't even bother to reach out to social media networks such as this one to directly help users who have problems. Consider the importance of the fact that she's even here. You joined on the 7th of August, which means that if you sent her a PM immediately after joining, you will have given her 5 days to respond. Some people have waited up to 2 weeks for a response. In fact, she had someone else log into her account here to help users for a period of time because she was far too busy. She's here to reach out wherever possible, but if you want an immediate response, call GM's customer service number or a dealership.

Want to see my review of the Chevy Cruze?

Behind the Wheel of the Chevy Cruze - The Xtreme Revolution

Good luck finding anything in this price segment that compares. Nothing even comes close. Neither the Cruze LTZ I reviewed nor the Cruze Eco I've owned for just over 18,000 miles had any traces of coolant smell, and I'd be the first to detect it. I'd hardly consider myself "lucky."

I have a few contacts inside GM's social media division that I can reach out to if you need proof that GM cares about their customers, both current and prospective. Just PM me your contact information and I'll pass it along. For the record, I am not an employee or affiliate of GM.

·
Registered
6 Posts
First time poster here.

I am seriously considering getting a Cruze as well as it seemed as the best financially sound car, considering the gas mileage and 0% financing that GM provides in Ontario. I was a little put off by reading multiple threads on the anti-freeze issue, especially considering that there doesn't seem to be a fix for it based on the threads. However after reading this thread, I have realized that the Cruze is still the best option.

On a side note, I did have a question. Is it worth buying a 2013 Cruze or waiting for the 2014 (I'm not sure when the 2014 will be coming out). Additionally which do you guys think is better? The 2013 Cruze or the Chevy Trax that will be available in Canada at some point?

Thanks.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,359 Posts
2014 will be out in the late fall of this year.

If you like the 1.4 engine and like the current design of the Cruze, just get the 2013. If you want more power, wait for the diesel.

IMO a lot of cars get worse with their redesign of a good model. Then there's all the "first year kinks" that haven't been worked out yet.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
First time poster here.

I am seriously considering getting a Cruze as well as it seemed as the best financially sound car, considering the gas mileage and 0% financing that GM provides in Ontario. I was a little put off by reading multiple threads on the anti-freeze issue, especially considering that there doesn't seem to be a fix for it based on the threads. However after reading this thread, I have realized that the Cruze is still the best option.

On a side note, I did have a question. Is it worth buying a 2013 Cruze or waiting for the 2014 (I'm not sure when the 2014 will be coming out). Additionally which do you guys think is better? The 2013 Cruze or the Chevy Trax that will be available in Canada at some point?

Thanks.
Welcome to CruzeTalk and congrats on realizing forums like this tend to magnify issues. If you're looking for a car right now I wouldn't wait. The 2014 model year probably won't be released until late August or early September.

·
Premium Member
5,002 Posts
Oh please go with the Cruze over the Trax. It looks like the Cruze's chubby little brother.

Reactions: Starks8

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have almost 18k on my 2012 Eco and have had no problems and no complaints. It's a great car!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
13 Posts
My issues have not been related to factory equipment. I had an aftermarket part installed by the dealer that caused the only issues I have had. I love my Cruze and would recommend it to anyone without hesitation. I think it is the best buy in this price range and you will love it when you buy it.

·
Registered
713 Posts
No idea. Any advice for a Cruze sized car?
Luxury to me is reliability, not nameplate or vehicle options.
I drove the Cruze, Focus, Civic and Impreza. If you don't get the Cruze I recommend the Impreza. Very well built car, AWD, better seats and nice interior. However, the Cruze is much quieter than the Impreza.
I'm waiting for the 2014 Model to come out then decide between the Cruze and Impreza. If you can wait I suggest waiting for the 2014 Model-hopefully they will finally have a sure fix for the antifreeze smell and maybe a more powerful engine option or added DI on the 1.4T.
While it's true that not everyone will have issues that you see in a forum in my experience it all came true in my Cobalt, so I'm waiting for them to fix it once and for all.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Your logic is garbage - plain and simple. People love to complain and it's many of these same people that are too lazy to do anything meaningful about their issues. I'm sick of people with factory warranties complaining. Drop your car at the dealer, tell them to fix it or buy it. If your not happy after going to the dealership, go back once (that's all it takes) and explain the issue and demand a rental. Then keep the rental until the problem is 100% fixed. Trust me after weeks of paying for a rental the dealership will figure out a way to make you happy.

·
Administrator
15,750 Posts
Your logic is garbage - plain and simple. People love to complain and it's many of these same people that are too lazy to do anything meaningful about their issues. I'm sick of people with factory warranties complaining. Drop your car at the dealer, tell them to fix it or buy it. If your not happy after going to the dealership, go back once (that's all it takes) and explain the issue and demand a rental. Then keep the rental until the problem is 100% fixed. Trust me after weeks of paying for a rental the dealership will figure out a way to make you happy.
This has been my experience as well. When I created the Antifreeze Smell Support thead, I was quite surprised at the number of people who had the issue that never took their car to a dealership.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using AutoGuide App

·
Premium Member
2,020 Posts
It's all an illusion. Think about it this way. If you go to a restaurant and you got great service and food. You go home happy, right? If you got over the top incredible service and the food was the best ever, you may post about it on facebook. But, if they simply gave you corn instead of broccoli you probably wouldn't hesitate to complain to the manager, demand a refund and post a bad review on yelp.

People have to be absolutely blown away to just randomly post how great something is. We expect that level of service all the time. But it doesn't take much for someone to go online and leave the worst review.

That is what online forums are used for, people wanting to complain or people looking for help. But, even if every other post you found on the internet was a complaint about the Cruze, I'd bet that they only make up < 5% of the total number of owners. You see the 5% and think it's actually the 95% when in fact it's an illusion.

Reactions: giantsnation
1 - 20 of 30 Posts