Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2014 Cruze Diesel with 64,000 miles. Recently I heard the faint sound of a siren causing me to check the mirror to see if I needed to pull off the road. No emergency vehicle was visible, but on other occasions I again heard the siren(s). Living in a small community we are not accustomed to a lot of emergency events so I finally tumbled to the realization that the sound was coming from my car. The noise happened even when I was idling, and correlated with the speed of the engine. I took it to the dealer who on the first visit did not detect the sound, but on the most recent visit (with me in the car also) he was able to hear the sound which he thought was only evident upon deceleration. He might be right, but it is possible that engine noise obscures the sound during acceleration. After checking under the hood he determined the sound was coming from the turbo charger area but the diagnostic instructions say to compare the sound to a like vehicle. Of course, there are no other Cruze diesels on the lot to compare to. So he took no action and I'm going to monitor the sound. I've received good service from this dealership on my cars and from this technician on my Cruze diesel. However, I'm not the kind of person that is comfortable knowing a part is possibly deteriorating and waiting for (the part) to choose the most inconvenient and expensive time and place to fail, leaving me on the side of a cold and snowy road. It occurred to me that gasoline engine Cruze models may have the same or similar turbo's and other owners may have noticed the siren sound (he describes it as a "whistle"). If so, is this sound not worth worrying about or is there a somewhat predicable timeline or mileage progression resulting in a failed turbo. The service writer thought that a failed turbo would just set a code and result in the car having no power. However, it seems to me that any problem related to emissions on the Cruze diesel results in the dreaded countdown to speed limitations. Please, don't anybody tell me that the turbo's are in short supply and usually on backorder.:dazed002:

·
Super Moderator
7,804 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2014 TD Cruze experienced a similar siren-like (more of a whine, I guess) noise that correlated to engine speed, mostly during acceleration. About 10-20 miles later, I lost power, and a few miles after that, I got a check engine light.

I limped it to my local mechanic shop, and they diagnosed it as a turbo failure at 112k miles. GM parts house billed the shop $1,900 just for the new turbo. Total installed price with labor was in the low $2,000 range.

About 300 miles later, while under boost getting on a highway on-ramp, the engine shut off on me, with the DIC informing me that it was due to low oil pressure.

After a long back and forth between my local shop and the dealer, I took it to the dealer, and they said that the new turbo was exhibiting signs of failure due to lack of oil pressure, caused by the oil pump showing signs of failing.

The dealer spoke with GM, seeing as I was just past the 100k mile warranty mark and I was on my second turbo, and they agreed cover the majority of the $3,000+ bill for another new turbo, a new oil pump, and labor, leaving me paying $1,100.

I’m now at 116,000 miles with no further issues. I’m hoping it doesn’t happen again as I generally love the car and use it as a long-distance highway commuter vehicle. 95%+ of my miles are driving with the cruise control on on west Texas 75-80 mph speed limit roads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have my dealer do all the changes, so the standard GM Dexos 2 (I just got done working all night and can’t remember the standard recommended viscosity) and a GM oil filter. I have them change the oil whenever the oil life monitor shows between 1 to 10 percent remaining. I’ve never pushed an interval to zero percent remaining.

I’ve only changed the oil myself twice, both times using an AC Delco filter and the Pennzoil Platinum Euro blend of proper viscosity and dexos 2 cert. The local Chevy dealer will put in standard GM dexos 2, a GM filter, and rotate the tires cheaper than I can get the oil and filter for, so I quit doing it myself.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I have my dealer do all the changes, so the standard GM Dexos 2 (I just got done working all night and can’t remember the standard recommended viscosity) and a GM oil filter. I have them change the oil whenever the oil life monitor shows between 1 to 10 percent remaining. I’ve never pushed an interval to zero percent remaining.

I’ve only changed the oil myself twice, both times using an AC Delco filter and the Pennzoil Platinum Euro blend of proper viscosity and dexos 2 cert. The local Chevy dealer will put in standard GM dexos 2, a GM filter, and rotate the tires cheaper than I can get the oil and filter for, so I quit doing it myself.

The Pennzoil Euro is much better than the GM supplied oil.
My factory fill got very thick near the end of my first OCI and my fuel mileage dropped alot. The tech came to me and said so. I told him I would only use a high quality synthetic from now on and he said thats a very good idea.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Can you get a sound clip?
I don't think a sound clip would help. The sound is so subtle it is hard to hear over road and windnoise. I'd have to use one of those tricks of listening with a hose under the hood in order to pinpoint the location of the sound....something I wanted the tech to do.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I really don't like the sound of that! My noise has been evident for about the last 2,000 miles, so I hope it doesn't fail suddenly. From your post it appears the "countdown to death" didn't initiate, your car just didn't run well.

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
Is the hose actually a rubber hose type of part? Should the technician be looking for a hole, a split or a loose connection?
I don't remember how it's all laid out. It should all be some hard plastic.

It's not a very long hose. It goes from the bottom of the turbo to the bottom of the intercooler. Each side has a special seal that could need replacing. There's also an air temp sensor that can be loose. There could be a hole or crack in the hose.

The sound may or may not actaully be coming from there. It could be the intercooler to engine hose just as easily. It may also very well be the turbo.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts