Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after nearly 4 years I'm finally getting around to doing some more mods to my 2013 Cruze LS. Had some hail damage recently and the car has to go into the body shop for repairs so I'm taking the opportunity to get some long awaited stuff done. I've got a JKS spoiler that's getting installed, and a set of Front and Rear Holden badges arriving soon from Australia. Also still searching for a holden steering wheel airbag cover. Trunk badge is easy but the front grille badge is going to be difficult to install and get it to look good without spending $3000 to import a holden bumper and grille. So this is what I came up with:
Remove bow tie.
Use chrome 3m tape to chrome out the bowtie bar.
Take some cardboard and make a template for a badge holder.
Sculpt badge holder from hard plastic
and cover with more chrome tape.

The rough template shown is just the bottom layer to get it flush with the bar. The top layer will cover the rest of the bowtie and you'll never even know it was there.
Wish I had a 3d printer, this would be so much easier.......

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
New tires and wheels went on today!
I got 74,418 miles out of the factory installed tires so I think I definitely got my money's worth! Upgraded from 16" factory steelies to 17" konigs with a set of Uniroyal Tiger paws.

Old factory wheels

New konigs!

Completely transforms the look of the car:) now I just need to drop it like it's hot and add some skirts and my spoiler.

·
Super Moderator
6,839 Posts
I'm about knee deep in getting some bowtie removal parts 3d printed. It has been a long process as I'm at the mercy of someone doing someone else a favor. Good luck!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm about knee deep in getting some bowtie removal parts 3d printed. It has been a long process as I'm at the mercy of someone doing someone else a favor. Good luck!
Keep me posted if you manage to get something made! A holden badge conversion kit would sell like hotcakes on here if you have a good design!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Where did you manage to find a Holden steering wheel? Everything I look up shows that I can't get the airbag module because it's basically shipping an explosive device.

Strut bars installed, waiting on installing springs until I can get my struts ordered. Also have new taillights to install, and a holden steering wheel on the way. View attachment 283854 View attachment 283857

·
Registered
490 Posts
Everything I look up shows that I can't get the airbag module because it's basically shipping an explosive device.
Correct. Either it's being shipped against the rules, knowingly or unknowingly, or they somehow separated the airbag from the steering wheel cover and are shipping it without the bag.

The good thing is that, since it's GM, the airbags use sodium azide and not that nasty crap in the Takata airbags :)

Seriously, I'd hate to have the ATF knocking on my door for illegally shipping propellant (hazmat).

Doug

·
Registered
131 Posts
Correct. Either it's being shipped against the rules, knowingly or unknowingly, or they somehow separated the airbag from the steering wheel cover and are shipping it without the bag.

The good thing is that, since it's GM, the airbags use sodium azide and not that nasty crap in the Takata airbags :)

Seriously, I'd hate to have the ATF knocking on my door for illegally shipping propellant (hazmat).

Doug

Ah yes, the Takata air bags that use double edge razor blades and broken glass. 😳

I remember seeing someone else here had removed the airbag cover from a Verano airbag and replaced it with the Cruze cover as part of his extensive engine swap project. From what I remember, it just has 6 tabs that hold the cover in place. If that's the case, I would love to find the cover. The internal side of the cover worldwide is actually a circular cut so it could be used everywhere.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Ah yes, the Takata air bags that use double edge razor blades and broken glass. 😳
[OT] FWIW, we should all be up to speed on this. This ranks right up there with Corvairs, Pintos, and VW diesels - all automotive industry debacles that should be learning events for everyone who touches cars.

Doug

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Where did you manage to find a Holden steering wheel? Everything I look up shows that I can't get the airbag module because it's basically shipping an explosive device.
I ordered it from an auto wrecker in Bundaberg Australia. I'm hoping it makes it through customs....

·
Registered
131 Posts
Not sure if the 1.8 piece has all the part numbers on it like the 1.4 cover does, but you should look on the underside of the engine cover over the spark plugs/coil pack and see if you can find the Holden-badged equivalent. For example, I was able to find this online using the GM part number listed on the underside of the cover.
IMG_3216.JPG IMG_3217.JPG

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
More bogan bits arrived today!
I'm baffled as to how the airbag made it through customs, but at least its here!

Local chevy dealer said they should be able to install them no problem!
Guuyuk I'll definitely be on the hunt for a holden engine cover for my 1.8!

·
Registered
131 Posts
I think this will help (along with another post 2 replies down) if the airbag cover would need to be swapped.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts