Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I think this will help (along with another post 2 replies down) if the airbag cover would need to be swapped.
This definitely helps! I'm just going to swap the cover so that the dealership guys dont have to reprogram my computer when they install the wheel and cruise control. Besides, the airbag came off a 2009 holden cruze, so its possibly one of those recalled Takata units.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I was looking at a junkyard clearinghouse site based in Australia, found several airbags available 2009-2014 (and most would atcually ship to the US). Good thing they showed details of the back of the airbag units, every one of them were sourced from Takata. So yes, definitely swap out the cover and use the US airbag unit.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Sorry it's been awhile, it's been difficult to work on my car outside since I don't have a garage. I'm currently in the process of getting the last of my parts ordered so I can get this thing finished in time for Gridlife 2020 next spring.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Got half of my airbag cover swap done! Those cruze airbag covers are a bitch to get off! Based on the way they are attached to the airbag itself, I had to use a dremel to get it off. Since the takata airbag was going away anyways, I felt no shame in cutting it off, leaving the cover intact. I'll do the reverse process on my factory airbag, cutting the pad off instead of the airbag. Then it's as simple as popping the holden cover on the good airbag!

The trick is to cut the little tabs off and then pry the cover off with a screwdriver. The ones on the top are the hardest because of the way the cover is shaped, but with some patience and a good grinding wheel, they'll come out without damaging the cover. I'll be sure to get some pics of the install once I'm ready to install it on my new wheel!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Progress! Grille installed, air bag cover installed, and I think I can officially call it a Holden now...

Still needs custom headlights, front splitter, Australian front plate, lowering kit installed and a few little extra goodies to give it some flair.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
That looks like a ripper and smack bang in the US. haha, awesome..
I'm thinking about doing an aussie flag on the roof since my car is already the right background color.
One other bit I'm looking for is an aussie front plate holder. All I can find online are the ugly universal ones...

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm thinking about doing an aussie flag on the roof since my car is already the right background color.
One other bit I'm looking for is an aussie front plate holder. All I can find online are the ugly universal ones...
Do you want to show me an example of an Aussie plate holder? I didn't know there was a difference?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Looks awesome!
How much of the middle bar did you have to cut off to get the grille to fit in place?
Also, how much of a gap did you end up with on the bottom (and possibly sides) of the grille? I'm looking to fit the grille I bought a while back and fill in the space with some extra plastic from an otherwise broken front end and some plastic welding.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Looks awesome!
How much of the middle bar did you have to cut off to get the grille to fit in place?
Also, how much of a gap did you end up with on the bottom (and possibly sides) of the grille? I'm looking to fit the grille I bought a while back and fill in the space with some extra plastic from an otherwise broken front end and some plastic welding.
About an inch and a half on the bottom and a quarter inch on each side. You pretty much have to cut the bar flush with the outside of the tabs below it on each side. Best way to get a snug fit is to start with about an inch on each side and then keep trimming till the screw holes on top line up and you can attach the grille to the cover itself. I cut mine without taking the cover off so I could get the fit "correct" but you'll need to remove the cover to get the support screws in. Also, which grille are you installing? The other style grille may be different shape.

·
Registered
40 Posts
My aussie plates are too tall and narrow for the euro plate mounting bracket I bought and it looks like crap. They're too wide for a standard US plate bracket too.
This is the bracket I need:

I might just call up my friend in Perth and see if he can grab one off a wrecked cruze at a salvage yard.
Ok Motley keep me posted here. I can go check for you in a few weeks time as I go to my local wrecking yard checking for a part for my sunroof if your mate in Perth can't get one. Should be farily easy though as it looks like a standard mounting plate for us here in Oz.

·
Super Moderator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
7,500 Posts
Ok Motley keep me posted here. I can go check for you in a few weeks time as I go to my local wrecking yard checking for a part for my sunroof if your mate in Perth can't get one. Should be farily easy though as it looks like a standard mounting plate for us here in Oz.
If you can find a airbag cover, I'll buy that from you.

·
Super Moderator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
7,500 Posts
T
My aussie plates are too tall and narrow for the euro plate mounting bracket I bought and it looks like crap. They're too wide for a standard US plate bracket too.
This is the bracket I need:
View attachment 285351
I might just call up my friend in Perth and see if he can grab one off a wrecked cruze at a salvage yard.
The website shows at least three different sizes. One of them should work.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I m
I managed to find a site selling the backing plate I needed. Comes with a frame, but I'll probably personalize one at some point.
Plastic NUMBER PLATE COVER with UNI BACKING PLATE - STANDARD SIZE (6 DIGIT) - 372x133mm heres the needed mounting plate/frame. It's not cruze specific, but its sized to the standard aussie plates.

·
Registered
145 Posts
About an inch and a half on the bottom and a quarter inch on each side. You pretty much have to cut the bar flush with the outside of the tabs below it on each side. Best way to get a snug fit is to start with about an inch on each side and then keep trimming till the screw holes on top line up and you can attach the grille to the cover itself. I cut mine without taking the cover off so I could get the fit "correct" but you'll need to remove the cover to get the support screws in. Also, which grille are you installing? The other style grille may be different shape.
I have the grille from a JH CDX. It looks fairly similar in shape, just a bit more rounded on the bottom part. The pic is a bit tilted, but the difference between the US and AUS grille looks about what I was thinking.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
One of my co-workers has a brother that works in an exhaust shop and he hooked me up with a muffler delete for a fair price. I had them cut out the resonator and replaced the muffler with a thrush glasspack. It's got a nice low growl on idle, and sounds like a hayabusa above 5000 rpm. Only complaint is the drone at 2000.

·
Registered
40 Posts
If you can find a airbag cover, I'll buy that from you.
Shouldn't be too hard Blasirl. I can't get there this weekend but probably can the next. Are they all the exact same size? My 2010 is a 'JG' then the following year they started the 'JH' model..

21 - 40 of 45 Posts