Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,352 Posts
I wont go 15. Probably wont even go 12. I had 4x 8s in one of my cars and it was amazing. Of course that was with McIntosh equipment. I dont have the 8s anymore, but I still have the McIntosh stuff. This may be going into my Eco. Im also looking at the Pioneer DEX-P99RS as a head unit since I dont have a decent one anymore.

·
Premium Member
1,352 Posts
What's the difference between one 15 and 4 8s? About 0-50 cm^2 of cone area, which when you're already over 800 cm^2 is pretty insignificant. The idea is not to have massive output, but to get to decent levels musically and without distorting. If I had a 10 and I wanted to play a linear bass note down to 30hz for example, it would take a good amount of excursion. I want all of that excursion to be within the subwoofer's xmax and under 10% distortion. I chose this particular 15" sub because it works amazingly in 1.55 cubic feet sealed. For a 15" sub, that's a pretty small box, and that's on the larger side of what you'd need as the sub will also work well in 1.35 cubic feet. At 1.55 cubic feet, the sub has an in-cab F3 of 14hz! Talk about linear...

The problem with smaller subwoofers is that it's more difficult to dig down into the sub-bass frequencies due to a typically higher resonant frequency. It usually doesn't make a difference as that resonant frequency is typically in the mid to high 30s or low 40s, but you won't have the ability to play the same sub-bass harmonics as something like a 12" sub would.

What I have with the IDQ15 is a recipe for excellent sound quality. Low excursion, low moving mass, high cone area. The high cone area allows me to have incredible efficiency, which also means that I can get a lot of bass out of very little power, thus also reducing distortion from the amplifier. High cone area also means I get a whole lot of sound out of very little actual excursion, which helps me keep distortion way down at moderate and even higher volumes. A lot of thought went into deciding to use the IDQ15 instead of the two IDQ10 subs I also have.

I think you should definitely get your stuff installed in your Cruze. No point in having awesome equipment just sitting around. Put it to use!
Oh, I HAD 4x 8s. Installing something now, I wouldnt go with more than 1 or 2. Maybe even 1 x 10. And I may do something flush mounted into the hole I already have in the floor. Something I can pickup or pull out to get to the pump. I think it would be worthless to use my amp and keep the stock deck in there. I dont have a head unit anymore, thats why I was looking at that Pioneer setup. Id like to put the Mcintosh H/U in there, but I just dont think it goes well with the lines of the dash, which is semi important to me.

Also I see in your tutorial, you referred to these as being better than Dynamat. How much does this stuff weigh? As you know, Dynamat is extremely heavy.

·
Premium Member
1,352 Posts
Im not familiar with the miniDSPs uses. Are you saying they offer the same or similar qualities as a high end head unit out of the stock stereo? I'd hate for the head unit to be the single point of failure. Id really like the stealthiness of the stock unit as well. Im not all that familiar with the different equpiment that come in these cars. I have the Eco as you do, but I have the standard head unit. I dont have the upgraded setup, 9 speaker or whatever the next upgrade is. I honestly went out and bought the car because a friends sells them and I liked his. I trust him, Ive known him for almost 30 years. I didnt plan it, I didnt review the car, I didnt read about what options were available. I bought what was on the lot, I didnt add any options. I guess I should look at that stuff. Its more of a hobby of owning cars. I thought it looked nice, its not my primary car, I do like to drive it though and find myself grabbing the keys more than my other cars costing 2-3 times the money. So I would like to put a nice setup in it.

·
Premium Member
1,352 Posts
Pioneer Stage 4 DEX-P99RS This has some pretty impressive specs. Based on the specs of this unit, can the miniDSP duplicate, to a degree, what I would be able to get out of this unit? I know the 24bit AKM DACs dont come in but 2-3 head units.

·
Premium Member
1,352 Posts
I read a few reviews on that Neo 10" most people gave it good reviews and commenting that it actually fit under their seat in a box. But there were a few people that said it was too noisy to be good. And mentioned it was in the high end of noisy for a sub. And that connecting it to a tone generator you'd know it right away.

"I hate to go against the trend of positive reviews here but
just connect this thing to a tone generator and listen. It's just a little noise
box! I didn't bother with distortion measurements because it was clearly not a
driver I would have any use for due to the excessive noise. I would very much
like to find a low profile driver like this with good performance but this
simply isn't it.
I ran it up and
down from 10 Hz to a few hundred. Above a couple hundred Hz the noise audibly
goes away but I'm sure it's still there and would be measurable.

A lot of woofers
are noisy. In fact it's very difficult to find one that isn't. I have to say
this one was right up there with the worst of them however. If you are going to
put this in any kind of box, vented or sealed, you may not notice the noise so
much but it's there and destructive to sound quality. Forget putting these in
open baffle, at the low end all you would hear is noise!

Monte"

·
Premium Member
1,352 Posts
I just dont want a 100 pound box in my car. To me the car is light enough. I dont want to add that kind of weight in the trunk. Something that I only need a few cu ft for is what I want. The question is. 1x10 or 2x8?

I may go 2x10s but that depends on how big the box needs to be.

·
Premium Member
1,352 Posts
There are a lot of subs out there that will fit in very small boxes under 50 pounds . The Alpine 8" Type R can be used in under .5 cubic feet. The dayton HO 10 fits in well under 1 cubic foot sealed. I can't recommend a good sub without knowing what your goal, budget, and listening preferences are.

Sent from my Bulletproof_Doubleshot using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Sorry it took me so long to get back to this. I kept logging into reply to this, and everytime I would forget to get to this topic. Im looking to go purpose built for SQ. I want it to be small and impressive. The most important thing to me is going to be sound deadening. Im very detail oriented and to even hear a peep out of a rattle, I will try to fix it. I know there isnt any way to get things completely silent, but I will get as close to perfection as possible.

I want to feel the bass. Dont get me wrong, I know I want SQ, but I also like to feel when the bass hits. For this reason, I may do 2 10s. Im not looking to compete in competitions but Id like to have something that has that kind of sound quality. I dont want to drop an arm and a leg on the system, I can drop as much as I want on it. But there comes a point to me, where things will get out of hand. So if you tell me, what I want to do will be $2,000. Ill drop the $2,000. At this point, I will be replacing everything except the head unit. Which we talked about earlier in the thread.

As for listening style. I listen to just about everything except for bluegrass and country. I dont listen to death metal or hard boom boom "sneaker in the dryer" stuff either. I like Al Dimeola, 80s, Journey, 90's on XM.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.