Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
401 - 420 of 447 Posts

·
Administrator
15,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #401 ·
What is the difference between the basic and advanced plugin?
The ability to run 18 parametric equalizers (36 if you count both channels) instead of 31 graphic equalizers. The Parametric equalizers are much more powerful.

The ability to run a high pass and a low pass filter on both drivers, instead of only a low pass on the midwoofer and a high pass on the tweeter. This allows you to actually cross over the front door speakers to a subwoofer instead of leaving the bottom end wide open. It improves power handling.

The ability to run up to 48db/octave slopes instead of just 24db/octave slopes. This allows you cross your tweeter even lower.

It's well worth the $10 to give it a try.

·
Administrator
15,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #403 ·
Hey XR, I noticed PE is selling an external smartphone mic that they claim is good from 18-20kHz. Have you heard any feedback about using external mics with iPhone RTA apps?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I have no experience with them. Are they calibrated?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Ok, so I downloaded the advanced plugin and played around with it for a while. There is definitely alot more settings. I like that I can cross the low end of my woofers. I still have the same problem with the tweets being alot hotter then the woofers. Could this be because the Dayton's are 8ohm? My silver flutes came today so tomorrow I'm going to swap them out. I'm hoping that with everything being 4ohm the woofers and tweeters will balance out better. Did you leave the top end of your woofers open or did you cross them close to the tweeters?

·
Administrator
15,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #405 ·
Ok, so I downloaded the advanced plugin and played around with it for a while. There is definitely alot more settings. I like that I can cross the low end of my woofers. I still have the same problem with the tweets being alot hotter then the woofers. Could this be because the Dayton's are 8ohm? My silver flutes came today so tomorrow I'm going to swap them out. I'm hoping that with everything being 4ohm the woofers and tweeters will balance out better. Did you leave the top end of your woofers open or did you cross them close to the tweeters?
What part of the tweeters is tol hot? Mine have a harshness at around 2800-4000hz. You have to tone that down quite a bit. Even with mine toned down by 2db, it's still too much. Just reduce tweeter output on the far right tab another decibel or two.

I left the low pass on the tweeters alone. No need for anything there.

Not only are the silver flutes 2x more efficient, but halving the impedance will also make them 4x louder. You'll like them. A lot. Have you opened the box yet? They're very impressive drivers.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
53 Posts
That's part of the problem I have is in the 2k-5k range. But they also just seem much more prominent then the woofers. I just got home and opened up the silver flutes. Very impressive. They feel much heavier then the Dayton's. I'm about to start swapping them out in the next half hour. Can't wait.

·
Administrator
15,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #411 ·

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi guys,

one of the best SQ results I had came from spending a little time to get my tweeters to cross over as low as possible, following the really helpful and informative posts in this thread by XtremeRevolution - I have a JL Audio ZR650CSi component set that I am using in an active set up with a MiniDSP 2x8. I sold the passive cross over that came with the ZR650CSis as the MiniDSP gave me a lot more options.

Just thinking through the benefits in getting the lowest possibe x over frequency on the tweeter, has anyone tried using a tweeter like the Aura NSW2-326-8A ??????

this is the tweeter that Siegfried Linkwitz uses in his Pluto design, that is crossed over at 1000hz to the mid-woofer.

web site here: Linkwitz Lab - Loudspeaker Design

based on my experiences so far, the fact that I can easily tweak with the MiniDSP and the Aura 2" tweeter looks like it will fit, I may order a pair and compare them to the ZR650CSi tweeter.

note. the Aurasound tweeter is relatively cheap and can be obtained from Madisound stateside.

Brad

·
Administrator
15,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #413 ·
Hi guys,

one of the best SQ results I had came from spending a little time to get my tweeters to cross over as low as possible, following the really helpful and informative posts in this thread by XtremeRevolution - I have a JL Audio ZR650CSi component set that I am using in an active set up with a MiniDSP 2x8. I sold the passive cross over that came with the ZR650CSis as the MiniDSP gave me a lot more options.

Just thinking through the benefits in getting the lowest possibe x over frequency on the tweeter, has anyone tried using a tweeter like the Aura NSW2-326-8A ??????

this is the tweeter that Siegfried Linkwitz uses in his Pluto design, that is crossed over at 1000hz to the mid-woofer.

web site here: Linkwitz Lab - Loudspeaker Design

based on my experiences so far, the fact that I can easily tweak with the MiniDSP and the Aura 2" tweeter looks like it will fit, I may order a pair and compare them to the ZR650CSi tweeter.

note. the Aurasound tweeter is relatively cheap and can be obtained from Madisound stateside.

Brad
It's a nice tweeter, but depending on the car, it's a little harder to mount. Off-axis response up top is not as good as a dome tweeter. I love that driver though.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi XR,

you are right about the mounting of the Aurasound tweeter. I would of found a way, but it needs a lot of effort.

how about this one.............

http://www.tymphany.com/files/PLS-P830970 Rev1_0.pdf

It would fit in the factory position, high up in the front doors. I could also easily make pods for this one to go up on the pillars.

would it be an improvement over my JL Audio ZR650CSI tweeters?

Brad

·
Administrator
15,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #415 ·
Hi XR,

you are right about the mounting of the Aurasound tweeter. I would of found a way, but it needs a lot of effort.

how about this one.............

http://www.tymphany.com/files/PLS-P830970 Rev1_0.pdf

It would fit in the factory position, high up in the front doors. I could also easily make pods for this one to go up on the pillars.

would it be an improvement over my JL Audio ZR650CSI tweeters?

Brad
It depends on what you are looking for. Note it is a fairly large driver at 2".

Have you heard a full range driver before? There are a few issues you run into when you begin to deviate from dome tweeters. The first is off-axis response. It's a concept referred to as beaming, which is similar to the focusing of a beam on a mag-lite flashlight. You need to have them directed toward you as your listening area will be limited. The second is detail. Just because a full range driver can produce frequencies at 5,000, 10,000, 15,000, and 20,000hz, doesn't mean they will produce it well. I've heard a number of full range drivers and have yet to see a single exception to the general trend. The drivers are compromised. The high end sounds strained and you lose a lot of detail and "airy" sparkle to it. When you've heard a truly good dome tweeter, you will not enjoy a full range driver. In my home theater, I listen to a pair of Statement Monitors, which use Fountek Neo Cd 3.0 ribbon tweeters, and my office speakers use a very nice Vifa large faceplate dome tweeter, so I could not switch from that to a full range driver as the loss of clarity would bug the heck out of me.

I'd say try it for yourself. It is likely going to sound better than the bundled tweeter in a component set and will certainly allow you to cross lower (thus lifting your sound stage), but you may notice that the top end won't sound quite as good as a good dome tweeter.

·
Registered
24 Posts
thank-you for your thoughts on this.

I have built a pair of Linkwitz Orions, which use 4x Seas Millenium drivers, so I on a similar page to you regarding the tweeters I use at home. I have also built a couple back loaded horns with 4" drivers, so can appreciate the differences between FR drivers and good tweeters. they deifnately sound different, but vocals on the horns are DIVINE!

I was thinking about mounting the Aura tweeter up on the A pillar. I initially chose the Aura because when it is used in the Linkwitz Plutos it has a very similar sound to the Orions, which use the much more expensive Seas Millenium driver. Also the Aura driver has a very good off-axis response at higher frequencies.

maybe I am just making more work for myself.lol.

here is a link to a page where the Aura 2" tweeter has been compared to the Peerless 2" driver:

Platon Measurements

looks like i will definately need to use the Aura tweeter if I put it in the factory location (door), but both would be ok on the A frame.

Brad

·
Administrator
15,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #418 · (Edited)
You're only going to get so far with tweeters in a bundled component set. If you didn't mind being without a tweeter for a week, you could send one to me and I'll run the T/S parameters on it. That will tell you the resonant frequency and will allow you to get a better idea of where you should be crossing and what its capabilities are.

I would say go for the Aura driver. It's probably small enough to not be affected too heavily by the size, and the big improvement in sound stage would be worth it.

Nice to see someone else who has built home theater designs and knows what music should truly sound like. I listen to the Statement Monitors in my own home theater as I noted (which are a DIY design in case you didn't know), and have a pair of bookshelf speakers I designed myself for my office. The design was very well received and very well reviewed on Techtalk.parts-express.com, noting an incredible absence of listening fatigue. It's a 0.5 cubic foot design with linear extension down to about 50hz. If you're interested in a sub-$200 project, let me know and I'll point you to the schematics.

·
Registered
24 Posts
hi XR,

your offer to test the tweeter would be great, but I am in the UK, so sending the tweeter is probably not viable. Love the ribbon tweeter in those Statement Monitors!

The component set that I am using active, without the supplied x-over is the JL audio ZR650 CSI, hopefully the tweeter is pretty high end.lol, but I hear what you are saying.

rather than buy those Aura tweeters, I already have a set of Seas 27TDFC tweeters, that look like they can be crossed over around 1k, only thing is they have a pretty chunky magnet and face-plate. I wonder if I could get them fitted in my car and if it is worth the effort. I could certainly get them fitted so that BOTH the driver and passenger are sitting on axis......

Brad

401 - 420 of 447 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.