Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[h=5]Like soccer, diesel cars are a worldwide phenomenon that Americans just don't get.[/h]

In Europe, more than 50% of new cars sold have diesel engines, according to the European Automobile Manufacturers Association. Meanwhile, the U.S. auto market share for diesels hovers around 3%, says Jessica Caldwell, a senior analyst at the website Edmunds.com.
But there are signs diesel cars are becoming more mainstream, she says. Improving technology has largely eliminated the noise and black smoke that used to follow diesels. These days, diesels are designed to run on a new, low-sulfur version of diesel fuel, sometimes called "clean diesel," which produces less pollution and cuts back on that sooty smell reminiscent of the '80s.

Today, higher gas prices have made Americans more open to alternative fuels. But the push for diesel also is being driven by the automakers, says Hague Stoddard, an industry analyst for the website Wards Auto. To meet new fuel-efficiency standards, they'll need to boost the average mileage of their U.S. fleets from 27.5 miles per gallon to 35.5 mpg by 2016.

To do that, automakers that already build diesels overseas are bringing them to the U.S. German brands have the most diesel options available, but U.S. brands are making diesel moves, too, with GM and Chrysler joining the mix, Stoddard says...

Read more: The Case for and Against Buying a Diesel Car | Fox Business

·
Administrator
15,750 Posts
Hippies. Tree-huggers. Lobbyists with surprisingly deep pockets that impose "hybrid technology" on us to make us believe that we're doing the world some good. They tell us diesel is "dirty," when it is vastly more efficient than gas, as the TDI drivers have proven repeatedly.

Noisy? Give it a break. People are spoiled rotten. Must have smooth, powerful, fast cars. Out in Europe, they understand that you need to get from point A to point B reliably and efficiently, and Diesel does that. The US needs to get their heads out of their asses and realize that a push for Diesel would be infinitely more effective and beneficial than ethanol or hybrid cars.

·
Registered
703 Posts
In addition to X's good points, let's not forget that diesel is (or can be) a renewable resource, unlike dino-juice. A few companies are doing amazing things with algae for BD.

The American diesels I've driven have been, ftmp, clattery monsters. The Europeans feel exactly like their gasoline counterparts. There is NO GORRAM REASON for American diesels to be this terrible, other than "We've always done it this way" syndrome.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In addition to X's good points, let's not forget that diesel is (or can be) a renewable resource, unlike dino-juice. A few companies are doing amazing things with algae for BD.

The American diesels I've driven have been, ftmp, clattery monsters. The Europeans feel exactly like their gasoline counterparts. There is NO GORRAM REASON for American diesels to be this terrible, other than "We've always done it this way" syndrome.
Yes, better even than ethanol.

·
Banned
435 Posts
Hippies. Tree-huggers. Lobbyists with surprisingly deep pockets that impose "hybrid technology" on us to make us believe that we're doing the world some good. They tell us diesel is "dirty," when it is vastly more efficient than gas, as the TDI drivers have proven repeatedly.

Noisy? Give it a break. People are spoiled rotten. Must have smooth, powerful, fast cars. Out in Europe, they understand that you need to get from point A to point B reliably and efficiently, and Diesel does that. The US needs to get their heads out of their asses and realize that a push for Diesel would be infinitely more effective and beneficial than ethanol or hybrid cars.
Hey cool I finally agree with you on somthing! Lol

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm kind of a hippy tree-hugger and I like diesels. Owned two VW diesels in the past. Also have known other tree-hugger types who owned them, and in fact met some pretty serious, patchouli-scented hippies in a diesel VW Westfalia last summer in Vermont. So you're painting with kind of a broad brush.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I think you have to travel long distance with a diesel engine, would you go to a wedding .... as we say, would be perfect.
It is not very suitable for city driving, consumption a little high. But for the rest of the guide is a real pleasure.
Power of torque from 1500 rpm, in 5 or 6 gear ..... you paste on the back :signlol:

·
Registered
703 Posts
Yes, better even than ethanol.
One of the excuses I've read for why E85 is a Good Thing is that it's made with a different (non-edible) type of maize. The problem is that the E85 type grows on the same land as the types eaten by humans and cattle. If a farmer can earn more with the non-edible type, that's what he'll grow, good intentions be d*mned. So either way, E85 interferes with food crops. By contrast, the only people I know who eat blue-green algae are extreme fringies and plecostomus.

·
Administrator
15,750 Posts
Hey cool I finally agree with you on somthing! Lol

Not too difficult when we're talking about something other than HID kits, lol.

I'm kind of a hippy tree-hugger and I like diesels. Owned two VW diesels in the past. Also have known other tree-hugger types who owned them, and in fact met some pretty serious, patchouli-scented hippies in a diesel VW Westfalia last summer in Vermont. So you're painting with kind of a broad brush.
Perhaps I should have added "political" to that. Al Gore types. I lived in California for a while, mostly in the LA area, where people think Toyota and Honda are the best cars in the world and everyone drives a hybrid because they think they're saving the planet. Same thing in San Francisco. Those are the kinds of tree-huggers I'm talking about.

You could technically label me a tree hugger. I have more plants around my cubicle in my large office than everyone else on my floor has combined.

·
Banned
435 Posts
I'm not sure if I'm a tree higher per say, but I absolutely love diesel engines I drive 4400 hp ones at work! My next car will be a diesel they just make so much more sense to me economically

·
Registered
84 Posts
I just got out of my 2002 Jetta TDI. It had 505K on it from courier miles that I drove. I dumped it because here in Omaha NE diesel is a good 40-50 cents more a gallon and despite me spending thousands of dollars keeping it running it still would only give me back 37-40 a gallon. I loved the car, but in the end, the Cruze ECO was way cheaper per gallon and got even better fuel economy that the TDI did! She was getting old and wore out....I remember when it was new giving me 53mpg! :-D

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just got out of my 2002 Jetta TDI. It had 505K on it from courier miles that I drove. I dumped it because here in Omaha NE diesel is a good 40-50 cents more a gallon and despite me spending thousands of dollars keeping it running it still would only give me back 37-40 a gallon. I loved the car, but in the end, the Cruze ECO was way cheaper per gallon and got even better fuel economy that the TDI did! She was getting old and wore out....I remember when it was new giving me 53mpg! :-D

What if the new Cruze diesel can give some drivers close to 60 mpg? There are rumors to that effect.

·
Banned
158 Posts
They tell us diesel is "dirty," when it is vastly more efficient than gas, as the TDI drivers have proven repeatedly.
Often Prius pollution levels are 10 times lower than EPA standards. Traditionally, diesel hasn't been able to make the pollution standards in the U.S. Of those diesels that now do qualify, they can barely make the standards.

Here are the diesel problems in Europe:
EUROPA - Press Releases - Janez Poto

·
Registered
713 Posts
One of the excuses I've read for why E85 is a Good Thing is that it's made with a different (non-edible) type of maize. The problem is that the E85 type grows on the same land as the types eaten by humans and cattle. If a farmer can earn more with the non-edible type, that's what he'll grow, good intentions be d*mned. So either way, E85 interferes with food crops. By contrast, the only people I know who eat blue-green algae are extreme fringies and plecostomus.
'Food' ciorn right now is GMO crap that people shouldn't be eating. The only corn I'll touch is organic.
Monsanto GMOs are toxic garbage-most soy, corn, canola and sugar beets are GMO. Thanks to Obama, alfalfa and 4 others will be added to the list.
If the government really wants to declare war on cancer they can start by banning GMOs

·
Registered
679 Posts
Hippies. Tree-huggers. Lobbyists with surprisingly deep pockets that impose "hybrid technology" on us to make us believe that we're doing the world some good. They tell us diesel is "dirty," when it is vastly more efficient than gas, as the TDI drivers have proven repeatedly....
The US needs to get their heads out of their asses and realize that a push for Diesel would be infinitely more effective and beneficial than ethanol or hybrid cars.
"Clean diesel" cars are still dirty. Go to Green Vehicle Guide | US EPA and on the right side, check both checkboxes, select 2012, California. Unfortunately, the sorting is broken but no "clean diesel" gets an air pollution score of better than 6/10. There are plenty of gasoline powered vehicles, both hybrid and non-hybrid that get 9/10. You can read more about rating at About the Ratings | Green Vehicle Guide | US EPA.

Hybridization isn't tied to a particular fuel source. There's no reason why there can't be diesel hybrids. There's Peugeot's 3008 Hybrid4 review & test drive (Wired UK), for example.

As for your last point, why is that? Diesels by themselves burn fuel uselessly when the vehicle is stopped idling. They don't recapture energy that's lost as useless heat and brake dust when braking. They also run inefficiently when the car is is traveling at very low speeds.

From Refining Crude Oil - Energy Explained, Your Guide To Understanding Energy, in the US, a barrel of oil yields 19 gallons of gasoline and 10 gallons of diesel.

And, if the goal is to reduce GHG emissions, well, since diesel has higher carbon content, it produces more CO2 when burned: Vehicle Technologies Program: Fact #576: June 22, 2009 Carbon Dioxide from Gasoline and Diesel Fuel. So, from Compare Side-by-Side (for example), given the 15K miles/year of driving and EPA mileage figures, a '12 Prius would produce 2.9 tons of GHGs/year while a '12 Jetta TDI auto would produce 5.0 tons/year.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I'm here (2012 RS 2LT), because I traded in my 09 Jetta TDI. It was a great and very fun car to drive. BUT!!! There's been way to many HPFP (high pressure fuel pump) implosions, taking out the common rail engine. Total cost to fix was between $8,000-$10,000 and right now VW is covering it, even after warranty. But there will come a day when VW says "to bad".

·
Registered
679 Posts
I'm here (2012 RS 2LT), because I traded in my 09 Jetta TDI. It was a great and very fun car to drive. BUT!!! There's been way to many HPFP (high pressure fuel pump) implosions, taking out the common rail engine. Total cost to fix was between $8,000-$10,000 and right now VW is covering it, even after warranty. But there will come a day when VW says "to bad".
Yeah, I'd heard a lot about the VW HPFP issues. It doesn't surprise me since VW isn't known for good reliability in the first place. At least it sounds like they've changed their tune on this and covering repairs.

There was Report: NHTSA investigation into 100,000 VW and Audi diesels intensifies, last year.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Running gasoline engines produce carbon monoxide, which can be deadly to humans.
Running diesel engines produce no carbon monoxide or anything deadly to humans.
Where air quality is maintained for human kind (underground mines) gasoline engines are not allowed, diesel engines are.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Diesel fuel costs more than gas (at least where I live).
Diesel engines cost more to buy.
Diesel engines cost more to maintain.
Diesel engines do get better mpgs.
Diesel engines can have issues in cold weather that gas engines do not.
I'll stay with gas.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts