Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

With a starting price of $9,995 excluding freight, the 2016 Chevrolet Spark is Canada’s cheapest car.

When converted into USD at the current rates, the Spark would sell for just about $6954.01. But in the U.S., the car actually sells for a base price of $13,535.

Completely redesigned for the 2016 model year, the new Spark comes standard with 10 airbags and a backup camera while its powered by a fuel-efficient 1.4-liter four-cylinder engine with 98 horsepower. Despite its low price, the Spark also comes standard with a seven-inch MyLink touchscreen infotainment system that gives owners a simple and smart way to access Android Auto and Apple CarPlay in their vehicle. OnStar with 4G LTE is also standard on the compact.

Compared to its predecessor, the 2016 Chevrolet Spark rides on a brand new architecture that has a slightly longer wheelbase than the outgoing model. Overall it is however 1.6 inches shorter, a change that helps improve aerodynamics and fuel economy.

Chevrolet said that 35 percent of Spark buyers are first-time new vehicle buyers while 45 percent are new to the Chevrolet brand in Canada.
Read more about The Cheapest New Car in North America is Now a Chevy at AutoGuide.com.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,273 Posts
Hey You's Guys !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I found ME Winter Car ..................................................................................................................................I should be able to get 2 winters out of IT ..Depending upon IF we get that annual blizzard or NOT .

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
They're selling hyundai accents locally for $9200 however that's with incentives

·
2,254 Posts
Well, at least it looks better than the previous gen.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Be wicked if that was the 1.4T

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
Like Brian said,

Looks like a perfect winter beater.
If you are into certain cars, summer toys, you gotta have something to give to the salt (rust) worms.

It certainly is easier on the eyes than the last version......yechhhy IMO.......That one screamed 'I hate cars'.

Rob

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Chevy needs to drop the price in the US as well. There's a huge market for sub $10,000 cars - just look at the used car market. A sub $10,000 car with the warranty would definitely tip the scales towards selling more new cars.

·
Registered
13 Posts
IIRC it's possible to transfer cars between the US and Canada.Can anyone confirm this and,if true,give details of what's involved?

·
Super Moderator
5,170 Posts
I should buy for parking in downtown Cincinnati when I drive to work. Since I don't pay for a lot, I park on the streets and most the parking is for "mini" cars. smart cars/ Fiat 500s etc. IDK it would justify a new car tho and keep the Cruze?

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Because we need one vehicle that's cheaper than you guys. Every vehicle is cheaper in the states including ones that are built here in Canada.

Reactions: obermd

·
Premium Member
6,917 Posts
Spark now uses a 1.4L engine over its previous 1.2L. Sure it only has 98hp, but from what I've read the engine is built in the same place as the next generation 1.4T. Since that uses an integrated exhaust manifold head design, I wonder how easy it would be to bolt a turbo to this thing? Going from 98HP to 153HP would make this thing fun.

Though not as cheap as in Canada, this is only $13,500 starting price in the USA, fully loaded for $17-18K. A 1LT manual transmission has every option I would want and is only $15,500(cruise control, Fog lights, keyless entry, aluminum wheels). Heck even the base model has USB, Bluetooth, rear camera so those are also standard on the 1LT. Spark For Sale: New 2016 Spark Pricing | Chevrolet

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
If your like me, you missed the part where the $9,900 was after the US to Canadian dollar exchange rate.. $1 Loonie is worth $0.70 USD at this point in time.

Surely you can buy in Canada, but then you'd have to pay taxes and other charges to get the thing back into the US, so it probably doesn't work out too well in the end.

Now, maybe you get your Canadian friend/cousin/relative to buy one in Canada, drive it to the US for a visit, you buy it from him... maybe you could avoid some of the taxes?

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
If your like me, you missed the part where the $9,900 was after the US to Canadian dollar exchange rate.. $1 Loonie is worth $0.70 USD at this point in time.

Surely you can buy in Canada, but then you'd have to pay taxes and other charges to get the thing back into the US, so it probably doesn't work out too well in the end.

Now, maybe you get your Canadian friend/cousin/relative to buy one in Canada, drive it to the US for a visit, you buy it from him... maybe you could avoid some of the taxes?
Won't work. The Canadian version doesn't have all the FMVSS mandated features. Why Canada and the US can't get this together I don't know.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
Good luck getting a "Canadian" car registered in the US without the proper paperwork.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Won't work. The Canadian version doesn't have all the FMVSS mandated features. Why Canada and the US can't get this together I don't know.
What's the fmvss features?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts