Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started the car after work...noticed the friggin CEL light all of a sudden. I turned off the car and said...no fkn way. Started it it again, it popped back on. I started to drive home and in about 1-2 miles the DIC reads...SERVICE EXHAUST FLUID SYSTEM. Then the DIC changes and says 78 MILES UNTIL 65 mph MAX SPEED. Def is full, no problem there. Called the dealer on my way home. can't get in until Thursday. There are 31,000 on the car. I haven't any any issues since the last issue with the NOX sensor about 20,000 miles ago or so.

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
5,913 Posts
Should be covered under your bumper to bumper, thankfully.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, no problem there. But I am seriously worried about the long term cost/reliability of this car. When it is out of warranty, every day will be one day closer to some big $$ problem I feel. Hopefully I am dead wrong. I have been in the shop 3 times in 30k. Now here's number 4.

·
Premium Member
5,913 Posts
I might be wrong - but it seems like once the original DEF reservoir gets replaced, if it fails, the new part number does not seem to fail.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Yeah, no problem there. But I am seriously worried about the long term cost/reliability of this car. When it is out of warranty, every day will be one day closer to some big $$ problem I feel. Hopefully I am dead wrong. I have been in the shop 3 times in 30k. Now here's number 4.
Hopefully your experience becomes more like mine. It's not been perfect, but relatively trouble free for 190K miles. I haven't needed to replace any emissions related parts in over 128K miles.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
I understand and share your concern, I have almost 20k miles on a 15, one of the last ones built, and I have had no issues yet, but still concerns me when I hear others having what seem to be pretty stupid issues in my opinion.

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
Started the car after work...noticed the friggin CEL light all of a sudden. I turned off the car and said...no fkn way. Started it it again, it popped back on. I started to drive home and in about 1-2 miles the DIC reads...SERVICE EXHAUST FLUID SYSTEM. Then the DIC changes and says 78 MILES UNTIL 65 mph MAX SPEED. Def is full, no problem there. Called the dealer on my way home. can't get in until Thursday. There are 31,000 on the car. I haven't any any issues since the last issue with the NOX sensor about 20,000 miles ago or so.
Hi there MOTO13,

We're sorry about this check engine light concern you're experiencing with your Cruze, but we're glad to hear that your dealership will be addressing this for you. If you need any additional assistance as you work with your dealership, please don't hesitate to send us a private message and we'd be happy to help!

Sincerely,

Chelsea D.
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The CTD is a good car. But it just seems...and maybe it's just me...I SERIOUSLY worry about the problems once out of warranty. There is nothing on this car that will be what i consider an easy or inexpensive fix if problems arise. Has GM done anything about extending the warranty on these cars? Is the DEF exhaust, and related systems, covered under the 100k power train warranty? I guess I am unclear exactly what happens at 36k miles as far as warranty coverage.

·
Premium Member
5,913 Posts
Is the DEF exhaust, and related systems, covered under the 100k power train warranty?
Unless you have an awesome dealer, no.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the info guys...and gals. Hopefully it will be a minor deal and all will go smoothly. I'll keep you posted for sure. Kind of upset to hear the DEF system warranty ends at 36k. I mean, the car won't function without it operating properly.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Thanks for all the info guys...and gals. Hopefully it will be a minor deal and all will go smoothly. I'll keep you posted for sure. Kind of upset to hear the DEF system warranty ends at 36k. I mean, the car won't function without it operating properly.
Just out of curiosity, how low did you let it go in between top-ups?

Reactions: MP81

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I fill it (DEF) regularly. As best as I can recall, I used only one kind def...Blue Def. I have used Kwik Trip premium diesel for literally every fill up except one. I have never used additives of any type...made no modifications.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
I fill it (DEF) regularly. As best as I can recall, I used only one kind def...Blue Def. I have used Kwik Trip premium diesel for literally every fill up except one. I have never used additives of any type...made no modifications.
So, you never let it go low enough to get the warning on the DIC?

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nope...never seen any DEF cel or warning of any type until the other day.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I always run my down to the 100 Mile Warning so I get a fresh fill. Don't know if it makes a difference, but I've never seen a CEL and I just blew through 53K Miles.

·
Premium Member
5,913 Posts
I always run my down to the 100 Mile Warning so I get a fresh fill. Don't know if it makes a difference, but I've never seen a CEL and I just blew through 53K Miles.
There is an ongoing theory that running the DEF down to that stage could cause the premature DEF heater failure. No correlation yet, so just in the "collecting data" phase.

Reactions: diesel

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
A fresh fill of DEF really doesn't make any sense to me. DEF has no shelf life (or use by date) from my understanding. Kind of like motor oil really, so if it's 2 years old or 10 minutes old, same DEF.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Wish we had better more complete information to determine correlations. I am at 19700 miles and only been on free changes, have one more at 24000 miles. So far the dealer tops off the def at each change. With last two changes being between 6500-7500 miles it took about two gallons to top off, so it has never been below half full. No issues of any kind yet. It shouldn't matter when it is filled, just makes me wonder if it matter or not how much fluid is in tank?

·
Premium Member
3,208 Posts
The CTD is a good car. But it just seems...and maybe it's just me...I SERIOUSLY worry about the problems once out of warranty. There is nothing on this car that will be what i consider an easy or inexpensive fix if problems arise. Has GM done anything about extending the warranty on these cars? Is the DEF exhaust, and related systems, covered under the 100k power train warranty? I guess I am unclear exactly what happens at 36k miles as far as warranty coverage.
from memory it seems its 3k bumper then 80k emissions 100k power then 100k?? rust? they make emissions and power separate so we pay out of pocket. once power ttain is up a delete is in order on a first big emissions repair

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.