Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
*not recommended, or advised

I've been meaning to write this for a while now. My vehicles tend to be "disposable", because I get reimbursed through work for driving a personal vehicle. The only catch is that the vehicle has to be less than "x" number of years to be in plan. I chose a 5 year plan for my 2012 1LT, as this worked out to 200,000 miles a year for the life cycle of my vehicle at approximately 40k per year.

What this means is, the less I have to spend on repairs, the more money I get to keep in my pocket. I figured on being able to go 5 years without having to shell out money for expensive repairs such as transmission or engine related problems. I wasn't comfortable with a longer plan as that would be approaching 250,000 miles, and in my experience, that is pushing it for an automatic transmission to last that long.

So how much did it cost me to repair and maintain my 2012 Cruze? Not nearly as much as you might think.

The first 100,000 miles I changed the oil/filter every 5k with dexos blend oil. The second 100,000 miles, I changed the oil about every 8-10 k with the cheapest full synthetic dexox oil I could get at WalMart. Air filters got changed infrequently.

I replaced a couple sets of tires and brake pads, and one set of front rotors. I replaced one set of spark plugs. I did purchase a set of steel rims, and a couple sets of snow tires as well.

I replaced a set of wipers about every year.

That is it for what I would consider normal maintenance and wear and tear items.. If I didn't mention it above, I didn't do it.

As for actual repairs, I spent about $300 in parts, and did all the work myself, so no labor costs. The parts replaced were two pcv valve covers, one turbo oil feed line, one thermostat, one thermostat gasket, one water outlet, and one Outside Air Temperature sensor. If I didn't mention a part here, this means the original was still in the car (except for body work and parts replaced because of a deer collision when the vehicle was only 9 months old).

I did have two PCV valve covers and one wiper motor linkage issue, replaced or repaired under warranty, but this didn't cost me anything. I did install a heated mirror on the driver's side, but that was a "mod", so I am not counting that towards cost, as it was elective.

Anyone care to try and do it cheaper than me? lol

I am hoping that my Gen2 will be even "cheaper" to keep and maintain.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Where did you end up getting valve covers? Either these parts have become more expensive in the last few years or I'm not searching for the best deals.

That's really impressive, for maintenance costs. If I recall correctly your car would still be rolling if it wasn't for a deer accident?

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Where did you end up getting valve covers? Either these parts have become more expensive in the last few years or I'm not searching for the best deals.
It has been close to 2 years since I bought the last pcv valve cover. In fact, I was expecting the last one to fail at any time. All my parts were typically purchased through the dealer AFTER I printed out the cost listed on the gmpartsdirect.com website, but before shipping. I was friendly with the parts guys, and they would typically price charge me only a few dollars more. In some cases they would be cheaper because I didn't have to pay shipping.

That's really impressive, for maintenance costs. If I recall correctly your car would still be rolling if it wasn't for a deer accident?
Close. The one fault the car had was a bad ABS sensor or harness, which I had been meaning to fix. As a result, I had no ABS and locked up the brakes on a blind curve, and totaled it against a tree.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.