Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

The first photos showing a production-spec mid-engine Chevy Corvette prototype have surfaced.

This is one of the first production-spec prototypes for the new mid-engined car, evidenced by its revised stance and large opening over the mid-mounted engine. Eventually, a glass engine cover will fill up this space, giving this car the exotic feel of a Ferrari, the Italian brand that Chevy has been using to benchmark its new performance machine.

According to the spy photographer, these photos were taken from a mile away using a long lens setup and a 50.3 megapixel DSLR. So far, GM has been careful to keep the car top secret by running it only at night, making this sighting all the more rare.

Powertrain details are only rumors at this point, with one suggesting that a turbocharged, direct-injection V6 engine with over 700 horsepower could be in the car. Chevy wants to take the fight to the Ford GT, not to mention exotics like the Ferrari 488 and Lamborghini Huracan, and is trying to build exactly the right car to do it.

Pricing for the car will mirror Ford’s lineup for the GT, which means that the mid-engine Corvette will cost around $400,000.

While we can’t wait to see a mid-engine Corvette battling with the Ford GT at Le Mans, we have a while to wait. The car is said to be debuting at the 2018 Detroit Auto Show as a 2019 model.
Read more about The First Ever Photos of the Mid-Engine Corvette at AutoGuide.com.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,273 Posts
If I am correct GM built a midengine Corvette Concept in the late 60 s early 70 s . Nothing became of IT .

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
6,067 Posts
If I am correct GM built a midengine Corvette Concept in the late 60 s early 70 s . Nothing became of IT .
Yep - there were actually 2 or 3 "Corvettes" that were mid engine concepts. The XP-882 in the late 60's with a mid-mounted transverse V8, and then DeLorean cancelled the program until the DeTomaso Pantera was announced for sale. In 1972, DeLorean allowed more work, renaming the car the XP-895 and it used a 4-rotor (2 Chevy Vega 2-rotors joined together).

In 76, that car had the 4-rotor replaced with a V8 and was renamed the Aerovette and was approved for production in 1980. Once the supporters of the vehicle (Zora Arkus-Duntov, Bill Mitchell and Ed Cole) retired, the program was cancelled

The 1986 Indy Concept (CERV III) was branded as a Corvette, so that also would count.

·
Super Moderator
7,815 Posts
Tip of the hat to AG for breaking this news.

·
2,254 Posts
I HIGHLY doubt General Motors will put a 6-cylinder in a Corvette. They're hasn't been one since the 50's.

Why not twin turbo the V8? Callaway did this with their Corvette Sledgehammer back in 1988. 254.76 MPH, 0-60 in 3.9, 1/4 mile in the 10's, and STILL had air conditioning, radio, power locks/windows, etc.

If you're worried about the "Eco" BS, just use cylinder deactivation. I get 25-27 MPG in our 6,000 lb flying brick of a Tahoe, can't imagine what it would get with Corvette aerodynamics.

I doubt it will be $400k too.

Reactions: pandrad61

·
Premium Member
3,264 Posts
i like the vett as it is now but if they truly want to take on exotics they need to do better then a v6 turbo like ford did. they let the green peace hippy crowd dictate what there image needs to be and did it to prove smaller turbo can keep up with v8..... yes it can but less reliable in all fashions.

use the new zo6 motor turbo it vs pully driven and with low boost will be well in the 800 hp range yet be under the 250 hp per liter mark where turbos start to have lag or need to push up the boost... just 175 hp per liter x 6.2 is 1050 hp and on a turbo motor that's easy to achieve reliably. a super car now has no excuse to be unreliable nor need to sip fuel like a cruze so stop putting fuel restrictions on a car that was never meant to be fuel efficient. this said it will still get good mpg, look at the p1. its hybrid assist is performance based not economy like the 918 and it does 34 mpg, the konisseg agara r 5.0 twin turbo v8 does 22 mpg.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts