Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
A great read for you gearheads out there.

The Enginerdy Dept: Straight-Six Revival
Good stuff! In-line 6 engines are extremely durable and easily last 250k (gasoline) and 500k+ in (diesels) and more.

I've owned many in-line 6's over the years. Ford 4.9L in F-Series trucks are tough as ****.

The best inline 6 I ever owned was a Cummins-Turbo Diesel 12 valver. It was in a 98 Ram 2500. It was pretty well hot-rodded out. Put out an estimated 425HP and close to a 1000 lbs of torque! Got 20 MPG highway on a very consistent basis as well. Biggest mistake I ever made was getting rid of that truck.

Would be nice to see some smaller inline 6's like BMW's 3.0L make it into more vehicles!

·
Premium Member
7,777 Posts
Good stuff! In-line 6 engines are extremely durable and easily last 250k (gasoline)
My '67 did.

Edit: I'm surprised people were dragging their feet on 60 degree V-6. That's what my Corsica had. These luxury guys can't be bothered to engineer something that Chevy was able to do 20+ years ago? There's a whole website/forum for that design. I think my mom's '88 Blazer was a 90 degree - it always sounded like it was missing.

I think the thing I liked the most about my inline 6 is it was housed in the same engine compartment designed for V8s. I could practically crawl into the engine bay with it to work on it. I know I did most of the work of changing the starter from the top.

·
Administrator
25,080 Posts
Love the "requires royalty payments to Rube Goldberg".

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
I hope they make a comeback. Going on my experience with one I6 that was in my previous GMC Envoy, it is the smoothest running engine I've ever experienced. There have been various vehicles with V6's from different brands in the family over the last few years and none are as smooth as the Atlas I6 in the Envoy. The closest out of our cars are Ford's 3.5 V6 and Toyota's 3.5 V6. Basic maintenance is definitely easier on an inline engine vs a "V" engine.

·
Super Moderator
4,954 Posts
Parents owned a 77 Nova w 250 I6, 79 AMC Concord 258 I6(I thought it was the fastest car in the world back then) and 62 Merc Comet 200 I6. We had our share of them never any problems

·
Registered
379 Posts
We fall in and out of love with the inline six frequently.

In the '70s, everybody seemed to have an inline six. Even Honda and Kawasaki eventually shoved what looked like a 4 ft wide inline six into motorcycles.

Then they went away. Chevrolet hacked a couple of cylinders off the 305 and the 250 Camaro L6 was gone. It was short lived. They would change the body-style and drop in the Citation's 2.8 60°.

Then for awhile we had the Ford 300... 1996.5 it was gone.

Then they came back. Chevrolet had the Atlas TrailBlazer. Suzuki sold a Daewoo with an inline 6 turned sideways (Verona, not to be confused with the Verano) Volvo eventually fitted the S60 with an inline 6 .

·
10,695 Posts
My '67 did.

Edit: I'm surprised people were dragging their feet on 60 degree V-6. That's what my Corsica had. These luxury guys can't be bothered to engineer something that Chevy was able to do 20+ years ago? There's a whole website/forum for that design. I think my mom's '88 Blazer was a 90 degree - it always sounded like it was missing.

I think the thing I liked the most about my inline 6 is it was housed in the same engine compartment designed for V8s. I could practically crawl into the engine bay with it to work on it. I know I did most of the work of changing the starter from the top.
You can dig far enough to find my username, posts and a gallery on there. I soo loved my 3100 and miss it dearly in my Buick Century. 19 MPG city 29 MPG Freeway 30 turnpike. I can't stand the sound of the 3800 engines at all. If I had to pick between 2 N/A Monte Carlos, LA1 3400 would be the one I'd get with 2000 heads and UIL/LIM. If I got ballsy I'd go WOT and get a MPG cam and port the UIM/LIM.

·
Administrator
15,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You can dig far enough to find my username, posts and a gallery on there. I soo loved my 3100 and miss it dearly in my Buick Century. 19 MPG city 29 MPG Freeway 30 turnpike. I can't stand the sound of the 3800 engines at all. If I had to pick between 2 N/A Monte Carlos, LA1 3400 would be the one I'd get with 2000 heads and UIL/LIM. If I got ballsy I'd go WOT and get a MPG cam and port the UIM/LIM.
The 3800 engines sound like you threw a hundred tin cans in a blender and amplified that through a megaphone with a seized suspension, but man do they keep going, and going, and going, forever.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
In college I had a 71 malibu two door with a straight six and a 2 speed glide-omatic or something like that. Great engine. I had to get rid of the car because the rear shock towers rusted out (you could see the ground through the trunk). The car had 175,000 miles on it and did not burn oil and always started. That engine rocked and I am sure it would of gone 500,000 easily.

·
Premium Member
7,777 Posts
In college I had a 71 malibu two door with a straight six and a 2 speed glide-omatic or something like that. Great engine.
If it was anything like my '67, great engine. Problem-free transmission, but the MPG sucked. The engine had to wind up too much for highway speed. I think I broke 20 once. Usually closer to 14.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I have an Envoy with the 4.2L I6. Good engine. Mine ran smoother before the engine mounts were shot. I have new ones but I just need to find time to put them in.

I also had a Corsica with the 3.1L V6. Also a good motor. Car ran to 200k. I never cared for the 3800 either. My wife had an Impala and my grandparents have a LeSabre. Always sounds funny.

My intrigue had a 3.5L "shortstar" which was a 90 degree V6 based on the Northstar V8. Had an internal balance shaft and it always ran smooth and sounded good. Had 225000 on it when I sold it.

·
10,695 Posts
The 3800 engines sound like you threw a hundred tin cans in a blender and amplified that through a megaphone with a seized suspension, but man do they keep going, and going, and going, forever.
Considering I am here now, that statement is valid.

I totally was sold on the long tube headers like this until the price was slightly more than the value of the car in parts & labor. If only I was skilled in fabrication!

Haven't really driven an inline car but almost looked at a IS 300 briefly. Truck wise my favorite would be the M915A4. Most the roads we were on were back roads, I'll just leave the rest to imagination.

·
Premium Member
2,821 Posts
Nice article-yes BMW 6s are awesome. My son has one a 2009 328i 6MT. He has a 2016 M3 6MT on order. Can't wait test that car. I have a 60 degree V6 3 liter Alfa. I always thought that engine sounded awesome. It has hemispherical combustion chambers, that probably helps with the sound.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts