Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. Some of you may remember when I first started here (being that I was one of the only people here with an '11 Cruze with steelies), and my beautiful car that had some plastidip work done.

Here some reminder pictures:

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Chevrolet cruze Mid-size car

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Grille Bumper

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Chevrolet cruze Chevrolet

She is a beaut! The most recent work I never posted was her new plastidiped lower front bumper. I didn't like the white, so I made it black. :)

So anyway, I moved from Kansas to Oregon, a whopping 1800 mile, three day journey! It was amazing, seeing the countryside and so forth, yadda yadda lol. I arrived in late December.

Tragedy struck - on January 13, 2014, poor Angela was wrecked. My own fault, I wasn't familiar with the area, and in an attempt to find the freeway, I ran a red light and hit a car in the intersection. No major injuries, thank god, but my pride was wounded and my car was smashed. FYI, they do NOT do well on a front quarter panel impact!

My car:

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Bumper Automotive exterior

Automotive tire Tire Auto part Wheel Vehicle

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Bumper Grille

All together, $5700 worth of damage. The insurance company said she was close to totaled. They really gave me a break by keeping her title clean!

Here are some pictures of the Ford I struck, which fared much better than mine:

Vehicle Car Bumper Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Bumper Grille

The police duct taped his bumper back together and he drove away, while I watched Angela get hoisted onto a flat-bed truck and hauled away to the nearest Chevy dealership.

A month and $500 out of my pocket later and I got my lovely Angela back, and WOW did the dealership do a wonderful job! Not only did that fix her up right, albeit taking seemingly FOREVER, but they also gave me FREE BLACK PAINT! They had never heard of plastidip so they ended up painting the lower portion of my front bumper with black paint! Score!

Here's her now, no more black caps because I haven't been able to afford the cans to redo them:

Land vehicle Vehicle Chevrolet cruze Car White

She looks 100x better than before the accident, all those rock chips from before are gone because the entire front end was basically replace. I have a picture of the estimate:

Text Receipt

What a journey! The last 8 months have been absolutely crazy.

Sorry for the long read, just wanted to do a quick update on my baby girl. Anyone else have any recent news?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Well, I don't know if I should say "sorry for Your accident" or "great that You got it back in such a great condition".
Perhaps they both are good in this situation. About those places, I do not know anything, but You seem to like the move, so that's also good.
Take care !

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Bullet! I love it here. I only ran the light going about 15mph... I couldn't believe how much damage was done to my poor baby. I have been taking really, really good care of her since I got her back because I definitely don't want to lose her again!

EDIT: Might I also mention I had my feet firmly planted on that brake pedal, but my ABS caused me to skid through into the intersection.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Outch, so slow speed and so much damage. And the ABC did not help in this case, must have been slippery road.
If the cars nowadays would have real bumbers like earlier, they would stop the car with practically no damage from those speeds.
I have difficulties to drive a modern car like Cruze as my previous cars are 27 year old Range Rover and Suzuki "jeeps" which can be run very carelessly.
Anyway, Cruze is a great car and it is real a great thing that You got Yours back on the road quite easily. And, it's great to live in a place which one likes.

·
Premium Member
6,915 Posts
Looking at the repair cost looks like you should have not hit your brakes so they would have just totalled your car so you could have got a new one.

·
Premium Member
2,234 Posts
In this case, it all worked out for the better!!! Can't argue against paint over plastidip. So cool they did that!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The damage was pretty substantial, but it wasn't like I figured that this was going to happen. In the spur of the moment that I realized what was happening, my first instinct was to stomp the brakes as much as possible and brace myself for impact. I even attempted to turn the wheel to miss the Ford but my car only kicked sideways slightly and continued on its straight path. That's why the damage is in the area it is and not in the front. The airbags didn't even go off because the hit missed the sensors completely.

Also, this being my first accident at the ripe age of 20, bracing on impact DID jack my back up a little bit and I'm still trying to keep the load off it because it still hurts. Of course that could be because of other reasons.... LOL.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts