Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,
I traded in my 2007 Malibu for a Chevy Cruze 2012 LT yesterday. I found out that with google navigation running on my galaxy note i717, the battery drains out and eventually the phone dies even when the phone
is plugged into the power outlet. What a disappoinment! It never happened in my Malibu. The battery level would actually very very slowly increase when I did the same on Malibu. Any solutions? I have read that the USB port was underpowered. But it's unacceptable to have the power outlet underpowered.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
I would check your charger and see what mAh its rated at. I use google maps and charge at the same time with no problems.

·
Registered
906 Posts
The usb port does not put out enough power to charge and run stuff.

I think because it was mainly put there for the purpose of using a ipod for music and not charging per say.

Never had any problems with the actual power outlet though. At the end of my 7hour drives to pittsburgh with navi on the whole time my phone is fullg charged.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts
Turn off the WiFi on your phone and set your screen brightness to the lowest level that allows it to be used. Android WiFi is very power hungry.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,524 Posts
The USB port has never been under powered for my iPhone. Runs everything, including streaming music and maps and still charges.
Barely. Mine charges 10% on a 4 hour drive on a iphone 4 if I'm running Navigation and Pandora.

The Cruze USB port outputs the standard 500 mA any computer USB port does. Not enough for most power hungry devices that use a 1000-2000 mA wall charger these days.

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
Hi,
I traded in my 2007 Malibu for a Chevy Cruze 2012 LT yesterday. I found out that with google navigation running on my galaxy note i717, the battery drains out and eventually the phone dies even when the phone
is plugged into the power outlet. What a disappoinment! It never happened in my Malibu. The battery level would actually very very slowly increase when I did the same on Malibu. Any solutions? I have read that the USB port was underpowered. But it's unacceptable to have the power outlet underpowered.

Thanks

abhirkmv,
If you are still experiencing this issue with your Cruze, I would suggest that you contact your dealership and have them look into this for you. They are in the best position to get this issue diagnosed for you. Please keep me posted and if you have any questions please feel free to contact me anytime.
Thank you,
Stacy Chevrolet Customer Service

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks a lot, Guys. Changing the charger helped.
I thought that the amount of current available to phone was limited by the car circuits. Turns out, my cheap charger was the botteleneck.
I forgot that when I changed cars, I also unintentionally changed my charger.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Is there a way to keep power to the charger socket when the car is off? My Dodge Charger had a dual position fuse for the charger port power so you could set it to be hot all the time or be switched off by the ignition key.

·
10,712 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
The usb port does not put out enough power to charge and run stuff.

I think because it was mainly put there for the purpose of using a ipod for music and not charging per say.

Never had any problems with the actual power outlet though. At the end of my 7hour drives to pittsburgh with navi on the whole time my phone is fullg charged.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using AutoGuide.Com Free App
USB will only output I want to say like 500 amh where as most 12v car plugs now are 1a or higher in regards to main thread I would try a diff charger as I bought mine off amazon and made sure it was 1A +

·
Registered
273 Posts

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
The USB port isn't meant for charging devices. The .5A power is meant to provide a power source for USB drives or blue tooth audio sources. Even the lowest phone chargers are 1.5A. You need to pick up a low profile 2.1A cigarette style plug. They provide great charging and you can get dual USB port plugs.

Belkin makes a great micro plug. Only single USB though. Micro Car Charger | Car Chargers | Chargers | Mobile Accessories | Products | Belkin USA Site
usb keeps my iphone charged.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.