Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 127 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ran 2 tanks each with both 91 and 87 just for trial and I get absolutely NO change in fuel mileage. At all. Slightly smoother performance with Premium, but nothing really to warrant the extra cost. I use Sunoco since its the only decently tiered gasoline near my home. However here in college I have access to both Exxon and Shell and switched to them since they are top tier. Either way, octane rating has caused no difference for me at all. Anyone's thoughts on this?

·
Banned
264 Posts
It won't change mileage for the most part. Higher octane burns cleaner and slower which reduces your chance of knock or detonation. In our turbo version regular also lowers boost levels and timing to adjust for the lower octane. Just spend the extra 2$ at the pump.

·
Premium Member
2,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Most places where I'm from don't sell 91. Its only 87, 89, 93.. and if I'm using top tier gas it has all the same additives is what I'm told. But yeah the difference is pretty huge price wise between 87 and 93, and even 89 is some $.12 more expensive per gallon and does 2 octane make that much of a difference?

·
Banned
264 Posts
Most places where I'm from don't sell 91. Its only 87, 89, 93.. and if I'm using top tier gas it has all the same additives is what I'm told. But yeah the difference is pretty huge price wise between 87 and 93, and even 89 is some $.12 more expensive per gallon and does 2 octane make that much of a difference?
use 93 octane then. our cars are global cars and in most other countries 93 octane is the standard. the difference between 87 and 89 wont make too much of a difference. but between 87 and 93 is huge. my girlfriend put gas in my car and accidentally put in 87. I knew immediately without her telling me. needless to say i pumped that ish out and my dad got 10 gallons of free gas. And being top tier is good and all but there is still differences in the detergents they use. I use Chevron only. Always have and always will. In the long run it wont hurt anything but performance. BUT... if you start looking at a tune for your car you can only run 91+...just something to think about.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I usually use Shell or Exxon as there is no Chevron here. I have only filled up once my initial impression is that coming from 87 that the dealer put in there is a NOTICEABLE difference in the smoothness of power delivery, but I pay attention to the details like this.

Like others said it is more or less a preference because of sensors and other technological advances. However running high compression or on boosted vehicles (which have high effective compression because of turbo/supercharger) the higher octane reduces detonation which results in smoother uninterrupted power.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Ran 2 tanks each with both 91 and 87 just for trial and I get absolutely NO change in fuel mileage. At all. Slightly smoother performance with Premium, but nothing really to warrant the extra cost. I use Sunoco since its the only decently tiered gasoline near my home. However here in college I have access to both Exxon and Shell and switched to them since they are top tier. Either way, octane rating has caused no difference for me at all. Anyone's thoughts on this?
Sorry to hear of your findings.

However, 93 for me has proven to be worth the $2 more per fill. I dont think I'd been able to achieve 49.2 mpg over a tank with 87... and the added performance is a plus!

I'd try 93 at several different locations. I've experienced 93 octane in some Mobil stations that I'd bet was not in fact 93 as my data logging (using Diablo Predator on my SRT8) indicated short term spark retard when it should not have.

Shop around and report back! :)

·
Registered
111 Posts
I've always ran 89 vs 87 because certain days of the week they price it the same at my local station. Since the weather has cooled off I've achieved over 50mpg average w no a/c on and driving 55mph :) 40psi in the tires

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
Shell and Exxon were two stations I actively avoided when living in South Carolina. They always seemed to have the worst quality gas, and the dirtiest stations.

My best 2 tanks so far have been on 93 octane.

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
boycotting Exxon-Mobil since 1989, BP since 2010.

Reactions: 06goatm6

·
Premium Member
3,177 Posts
So the big questions for me are.... Which 93 grade brand of gas is the best for the cruze since they all have additives? and can those additives actually hurt the car even though it might be from a top tier gas station?

·
Registered
179 Posts
boycotting Exxon-Mobil since 1989, BP since 2010.

Just curious, why are you boycotting?
Just because of several accident's, or some other reason? - Dan

·
Registered
644 Posts
I'm gonna be trying out 93 octane starting next fill up, hoping that the slower burn means the gas'll last a little longer as well. Now to choose a place, I'm thinking Valero or HEB, shell is by my office, but I prefer close to ome, which is exxon, valero or HEB.

·
Banned
264 Posts
So the big questions for me are.... Which 93 grade brand of gas is the best for the cruze since they all have additives? and can those additives actually hurt the car even though it might be from a top tier gas station?
every gas station puts in detergents. choosing the company is where the debate happens. as i stated chevron always has been the best for me. if thats not a option i would say shell.

·
Registered
206 Posts
ive seen a slight difference in how smooth it runs...from 87 to 91..or 93..but the temps here have been much lower too..so thats prob part of it...i know when i used high oct in my cj7..the flames were a darker blue when they shot out of the side pipes..lol

·
Registered
37 Posts
It has a turbo, run premium. I dont care what people see fuel economy wise, relying on a knock sensor to pull timing to get it to stop detonating is not a safe smart practice. If you plan on keeping the car past the warranty run the right gas in it.

Detonation is equivalent of striking the piston with a hammer on its way up, eventually that is going to cause a problem. Even if the knock sensor picks it up quick and retards the timing it still happened. And then after its ran for a while or has been shut off and re started it will try normal timing again until it picks up more detonation. Run premium and kiss detonation goodbye. I would like to bet that an eco engine ran on 87 will need rebuilt in half the time of one with premium. Ive been messing with turbo engines for a long time (almost 10 years) and I have never EVER heard of running one on 87 until joining this forum:question:

If your not willing to pay the extra money for the higher grade fuel then dont buy a turbo car. Why do you think its even at the pump for? Some cars need it, and this is one of them.

Do some of you guys think its just for bmws, or people with too much money just decide to run premium because they enjoy wiping their ass with money?

·
Registered
105 Posts
For what it's worth, shop around and try various stations. I don't think the "brand" always means the best.

My best tanks so far are achieved using (insert gut laugh here) Kroger 93 octane! I was using Costco previously.

Still crossing my fingers to get 50 mpg out of this week's commute tank. It's close!

·
FI Lunatic
1,380 Posts
For what it's worth, shop around and try various stations. I don't think the "brand" always means the best.

My best tanks so far are achieved using (insert gut laugh here) Kroger 93 octane! I was using Costco previously.

Still crossing my fingers to get 50 mpg out of this week's commute tank. It's close!

Costco is going to be my best bet for premium 93...I think I'll full up on it today on the way home and see what happens.

1 - 20 of 127 Posts