Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Like the days when only three grades of fuel were used all over this land of freedom and home of the brave. Today over 155 different blends of fuel required by the EPA, oil pipe mix ups, and even state controlled, even by county.

Just saying, what works for you may not even work for the guy that lives across the street! For me, Mobil ethanol free works the best and is very consistent, other stations can either be good or not so good.

Could also be very bitter about DuPont, sure some underhanded stuff came about between them and Al Gore when DuPont got the patent on R-134a banning R-12 overnight, but in terms of Suva, DuPont still makes the best R-134a, some of this crap is made in China. So I stick with DuPont. Really don't want to cut off my nose to spite my face.

We really live in a phuched up country.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Now I have to look forward to see anywhere from 120-140 miles less on my miles remaining after a fillup due to this stupid winter gas. We were spared of this until a few years ago because we live out in the sticks, now stuck with this.

Reason why the EPA does this is because on cooler weather it takes a minute or two longer for the engine to warm up to get into closed loop mode. But after this, doesn't make a bit of difference. Also drastic improvements were made in open loop mode.

Price of crude sure dropped from over a hundred bucks a barrel down to 40 bucks, not seeing this at the gas station either. And we still can't deduct fuel cost to work or school. Without work, wouldn't have an income at all, and school is the law. Something about keeping the stock market prices up.

Back in the 90's that seem like a long time ago, was hit by the EPA to use electrically heated catalytic converters, but this became extremely complicated and expensive. Was suggested we just spray gas into the cat, its worthless until heated up, but the DOT wouldn't hear about it. Solution, add air to the gas, wasn't not nice paying 4.50 a gallon for air. Least its down to three bucks a gallon now. But over half a buck of that is for road tax, and where that money is going is a good question.

Cost us 3 cents a gallon to build an entire interstate highway in this country, can't even repair a pothole today for over a half a buck a gallon gas tax.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
I average 39mpg all summer and 30mpg all winter
Ditto on that statement, stupid winter gas, actually if I can hold it at 55 mph, can average 46 mpg with my 2012 2LT with a manual transmission.

But only on summer gas, best is 35 mpg on this winter crap.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
R134a has served it's purpose but it is still not green enough, so now you get R1234yf, which is flammable, so y'all get out of the car quick if it starts to pour in thru the ducts because you could get your arses all blowed up.
From the same EPA that blasted out Oz for selling a butane/propane blend to emulate R-12. Claiming R-134a is causing global warming now, so now they are approving HC's. Sure a bunch of hypocrites.

In regards to CFC's (R-12), less than 2% of the total production was used in automotive.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts