Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
81 - 100 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Octane Booster DOES NOT work. Top Gear UK proved it on one of their episodes... As a matter of fact, they said that under some tests, cars fuel economy and maximum BHP was lower, than not using it.... Waste of $$$.

·
Premium Member
2,134 Posts
the chevy cruze timing is not advanced or optimized for 91 octane. cars which require 91 octane require advance timing.
:question:

·
Premium Member
361 Posts
:uhh:

·
FI Lunatic
1,380 Posts
BP seems to work best imo, Ive tried all the stations but shell (only one around is really expensive for some reason) and none seem to be as good as BP. Plus the BP station on my way home from work is consistently one of the cheapest stations around :)
Filled up with BP/93 this morning, so we'll see in about 10 days how it does for me!:)

Now that I'm actually driving my car with premium, I do seem to be getting about 3-5 mpg more, I'm on the second tank of 93.
I just bottomed out my second tank of 93 from Costco. I set my best MPG at 36mpg on this tank! Only 2700 miles on the car yet, so hopefully it will get better. Filled up on BP/93 this morning.

the chevy cruze timing is not advanced or optimized for 91 octane. cars which require 91 octane require advance timing.
"I'm with you fellers..." (Delmar - "O'Brother where art thou") :question:...:)

·
Banned
355 Posts
Just for the sake of an accurate comparison / test, please keep in mind that the only way the ECM "feels" the octane is from the change in Knock Sensor activity. Even then, there is a process to progressively make changes. Therefor, just because you switched to 93 from 87 and drive like grandma, you are running the SAME EXACT TIMING. Vice versa, changing to premium does not instantly yield maximum power / economy, you must drive long enough and under the conditions to allow full advance of settings. My opinion. I say 3 tanks. What do you guys think?

Another thing : since the "slower burning" effect is INSTANT, while the timing advance with lack of / reduced knock is slow, you may indeed lose MPG and HP / TQ when you first change to premium. So maybe, beat on it for 2 tanks of HIGH QUALITY NAME BRAND premium gasoline, then tell us your mileage cruising on the 3rd tank. We need more freaking scientists here, I'm just a freaking grease monkey :)

·
Lyrical Wordsmith
6,748 Posts
Since I've bought the car I had used regular (87 octane) but about 7 months ago I've used premium and with only shell 94 octane and my MPG definetly improved by about 5 MPG. So I can vouch on that ..

·
Premium Member
2,134 Posts
a 5MPG increase is preposterous. Proof, please, as you've obviously been keeping detailed logs.
I don't think it is preposterous at all. I lost 3MPG just from buying generic 93 octane fuel. depending on the weather and how much timing the car was originally pulling out on 87, 5MPG would, IMO, be very easy to gain. I've never had a car so sensitive to fuel in my life as this one.

·
Banned
355 Posts
I wonder, how long will it take for everyone to realize and admit that after GM has hinted and tuners stated, that high octane fuel is required for best performance on the 1.4t in the Cruze. Whether you are willing to use it, or whether the couple of hp / tq and mpg are worth it is totally open for discussion. But the effect of reduced knock sensor activity on ignition timing advance is a proven fact.

Perhaps, we should be discussing whether advanced timing actually results in improved torque and efficiency..... that would make more sense.

(OF COURSE IT DOES!)

:)

·
Premium Member
2,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 ·
I've been running premium my last 5 tanks, so I have 5 tanks premium (91 sunoco and 93 shell) and 5 tanks 87 and I am starting to notice a slight improvement of MPG (comparatively speaking, since my mileage is almost exclusively city now). But in all honesty, once you start using premium you feel like your doing your car a disservice by switching back and you get hooked by telling yourself "my car appreciates this." OK not really but the performance increase is obvious and the MPG improvements Im 90% sure is just a result of smoother acceleration from better horsepower and nothing about the actual gas itself. One thing I DO notice is that there is no change in long distance trips on the highway since I'm not doing any better or worse in those situations, which is because there is no change in acceleration.

81 - 100 of 127 Posts