Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
101 - 120 of 127 Posts

·
FI Lunatic
1,380 Posts
I'm on my fourth tank of 93 octane (first 2 from Costco, third & current from BP).
I've noticed a slight uptick since going to BP. Last 2 tanks have been (calculated manually) 36mpg. Still driving with my foot and not using Cruise Control. One tank from Costco included a LOT of town driving as I took some time off work. I still got over 34mpg on that one.

My last tank was my best ever. The DIC ended up reading 39.0 for the tank; after fillup and calculation, the tank turned out to be 36.02mpg after all! The trend now is a slowly improving one...hopefully it will continue!

·
FI Lunatic
1,380 Posts
I use 93 octane from HEB, haven't tried anyone else due to HEB's lower price and location.
Right now I'm trying BP simply because it is about 1.5 miles from the house and an exchange with another poster indicated that BP yielded a definite mpg improvement for them.

I do plan on trying Shell after a few more fillups from BP.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Right now I'm trying BP simply because it is about 1.5 miles from the house and an exchange with another poster indicated that BP yielded a definite mpg improvement for them.

I do plan on trying Shell after a few more fillups from BP.
I live in texas and I'm not sure that there are any BPs in my area, HEB is the closest, then it's Valero right next to that, usually higher priced, then there's an exxon a couple miles away. The Shell is by my office, the one nearest home isn't very close.

·
FI Lunatic
1,380 Posts
There are a couple Shells in a less than savory part of town....the one I am considering after a couple more tanks of BP is actually slightly off my normal commute, but not too bad. I'll give it a shot and we'll see. Even my salesman says he gets better mileage across all his personal vehicles using Shell. At the time he mentioned that, we were discussing octane levels....NOT brands, so his comment was totally unsolicited regarding brand.

·
Premium Member
5,637 Posts
2011 Chevrolet Cruze Long Term Road Test - MPG

here you go its better for the cruze 1.4T.
Why re post a 4 year old Edmunds article? With 4 posts so far you must be an expert on the CRUZE? Although I am driving a 2014 it is clear that higher octane fuel does not equate into better mileage. Trust the Canadian video from the CBC that I'm sure you never watched here. They might not tip well but sure know their Gasoline!

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
For the 2011-2013 Cruze the Edmund's test is accurate, especially in the hot US Southwest. Based on reports from 2014 and 2015 owners I'm not certain that video is applicable to their cars, however.

·
Premium Member
6,915 Posts
For the 2011-2013 Cruze the Edmund's test is accurate, especially in the hot US Southwest. Based on reports from 2014 and 2015 owners I'm not certain that video is applicable to their cars, however.
Can't imagine there is any change GM could have made that would overcome the laws of physics. Sure there are reports of 2014+ models running better on regular but when its 80F+ I guarantee running 87 octane your relying heavily on the knock sensor to dial things back.

No matter what though premium fuel would allow more timing advance when dealing with high temperatures and should get better MPG no matter what year cruze.

·
Premium Member
5,637 Posts

No matter what though premium fuel would allow more timing advance when dealing with high temperatures and should get better MPG no matter what year cruze.
So wait, do you get more power, better MPG, coolness, or all of these? Even reading your old posts you speak about the poor mileage you got, the knocking, the pinging, problems going up hills etc, yet all you used is Top Tier fuel & the highest octane fuel available, and how "dirty" other fuels are? I say you have contamination in your fuel system and you never took this into consideration nor addressed it properly. Do you really believe that this is not possible, because you only purchase the best "clean' fuel? Any fuel can be contaminated and your fuel formula is flawed my friend!

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
So wait, do you get more power, better MPG, coolness, or all of these? Even reading your old posts you speak about the poor mileage you got, the knocking, the pinging, problems going up hills etc, yet all you used is Top Tier fuel & the highest octane fuel available, and how "dirty" other fuels are? I say you have contamination in your fuel system and you never took this into consideration nor addressed it properly. Do you really believe that this is not possible, because you only purchase the best "clean' fuel? Any fuel can be contaminated and your fuel formula is flawed my friend!
I get more power and better MPG running 91 octane. With 87 octane the ECU pulls so much timing it feels like my ECO MT is running on 3 cylinders on the freeways around the west side of Denver. High altitude, high speed, and relatively steep grades basically require 91 octane.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Like the days when only three grades of fuel were used all over this land of freedom and home of the brave. Today over 155 different blends of fuel required by the EPA, oil pipe mix ups, and even state controlled, even by county.

Just saying, what works for you may not even work for the guy that lives across the street! For me, Mobil ethanol free works the best and is very consistent, other stations can either be good or not so good.

Could also be very bitter about DuPont, sure some underhanded stuff came about between them and Al Gore when DuPont got the patent on R-134a banning R-12 overnight, but in terms of Suva, DuPont still makes the best R-134a, some of this crap is made in China. So I stick with DuPont. Really don't want to cut off my nose to spite my face.

We really live in a phuched up country.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,601 Posts
Had 2 rental 2015's recently. They ran GREAT on 87 in 70-80ish* temps. Like my 12' does on 89 or 93. A little bit of lag below 2000 RPM, but as it's an automatic and the gears are super short, you couldn't really tell that much. It did lose quite a bit of highway power when the A/C was on.

If I were to try 87 in my 12 in the same temps, it wouldn't be so happy. Especially if I were to run the A/C.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Now I have to look forward to see anywhere from 120-140 miles less on my miles remaining after a fillup due to this stupid winter gas. We were spared of this until a few years ago because we live out in the sticks, now stuck with this.

Reason why the EPA does this is because on cooler weather it takes a minute or two longer for the engine to warm up to get into closed loop mode. But after this, doesn't make a bit of difference. Also drastic improvements were made in open loop mode.

Price of crude sure dropped from over a hundred bucks a barrel down to 40 bucks, not seeing this at the gas station either. And we still can't deduct fuel cost to work or school. Without work, wouldn't have an income at all, and school is the law. Something about keeping the stock market prices up.

Back in the 90's that seem like a long time ago, was hit by the EPA to use electrically heated catalytic converters, but this became extremely complicated and expensive. Was suggested we just spray gas into the cat, its worthless until heated up, but the DOT wouldn't hear about it. Solution, add air to the gas, wasn't not nice paying 4.50 a gallon for air. Least its down to three bucks a gallon now. But over half a buck of that is for road tax, and where that money is going is a good question.

Cost us 3 cents a gallon to build an entire interstate highway in this country, can't even repair a pothole today for over a half a buck a gallon gas tax.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,601 Posts
Now I have to look forward to see anywhere from 120-140 miles less on my miles remaining after a fillup due to this stupid winter gas. We were spared of this until a few years ago because we live out in the sticks, now stuck with this.
Here we go again!

·
Premium Member
6,915 Posts
Even reading your old posts you speak about the poor mileage you got, the knocking, the pinging, problems going up hills etc, yet all you used is Top Tier fuel & the highest octane fuel available, and how "dirty" other fuels are?
Never have I had poor MPG with my cruze, you must have been reading someone else's posts. I average 39mpg all summer and 30mpg all winter since new an now for almost 85,000 miles. Since I drive 70% or more hwy and lots of the same trip over and over even up to 5000 miles some months I've had lots of opportunity to test my MPG. My 2012 1.4T gets 2-4MPG better the months I run premium over regular and certainly makes more power. Hills that require a downshift to climb on regular gas remain in 6th gear when on premium. This is with the shiftier in D cruise control set at the same speed and weather is the same. I live in a valley and drive the same hill every single day sometimes multiple times a day, since april 2012(more than 1280 times).

Did I ever have engine knocking? sure but it was a mechanical issue that has been resolved(bad spark plugs/coil pack). Not sure where you think I'm such a proponent of top tier, its nothing more than a list company's can pay to get on. This became apparent to me in 2013 when BP joined top tier, their press release claimed they had always exceeded top tier standards and their formula never changed, they just joined to differentiate themselves from other lower quality gas. In my mind if top tier was actually about gas quality, there would be nothing for BP or anyone else to join, the fuel would have passed top tier standards on testing alone.

Top tiers detergent requirements are only slightly better than the EPA level which may only be enough to keep some deposits from forming. Premium fuel tested from multiple stations(not just top tier) has shown to have 3-4X the amount of detergents as regular so for this reason alone premium gas should clean your engine better. My cruze certainly seems to run much smoother if I run a bottle of Techron concentrate or similar PEA cleaner every oil change(about every 7500 miles) even when running premium all the time.

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
I put Shell in my ECO MT about once a year. The nearest Shell station to me is a very low volume station and I don't trust it as a result. I fill up almost exclusively at Safeway, which gets fuel replacement every 5 calendar days or so.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
I average 39mpg all summer and 30mpg all winter
Ditto on that statement, stupid winter gas, actually if I can hold it at 55 mph, can average 46 mpg with my 2012 2LT with a manual transmission.

But only on summer gas, best is 35 mpg on this winter crap.

·
Premium Member
6,915 Posts
Had 2 rental 2015's recently. They ran GREAT on 87 in 70-80ish* temps. Like my 12' does on 89 or 93. A little bit of lag below 2000 RPM, but as it's an automatic and the gears are super short, you couldn't really tell that much. It did lose quite a bit of highway power when the A/C was on.

If I were to try 87 in my 12 in the same temps, it wouldn't be so happy. Especially if I were to run the A/C.
I had a 2014 loaner from the dealer when I had my transmission fluid changed, I can only assume it had regular 87 octane since who would pay to put premium in a loaner? it ran better than my car on regular(if that was the case), in normal stop and go traffic. however on the hills around me it had what I would refer to as the stepped power curve where instead of smooth power as RPM increases, it would raise and pause slightly before gaining RPM again. When my car does this(on regular) its much much more pronounced, this was at least somewhat smooth still and I only noticed it because I was watching the tach.

I've tested it on my car when this stepped RPM increase occurs knock is detected, so if you ask me the 2014+ sure does run smoother on regular but is still relying heavily on the knock sensor to dial things back.

·
Registered
109 Posts
R134a has served it's purpose but it is still not green enough, so now you get R1234yf, which is flammable, so y'all get out of the car quick if it starts to pour in thru the ducts because you could get your arses all blowed up.

101 - 120 of 127 Posts